Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: JD Souther

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: JD Souther

Soda - Have a great time !
    My sister and BIL saw Jackson on Thurs at the PNC(Garden State) Arts Center with Little Stevie and J.Giles Band. Bruce made an appearance too. When I saw he was playing I was going to as if she wanted to go. However since it was a Thursday night I figured she would not want to go because she would not get home till very late and she gets up very early for work. Oh well.

Stuck on the Border

I'm envious. Have a good time. I'm interested to hear if it's a full band or just a threesome.

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Great show! Lots of stories and his voice is in great shape! Eagles songs included Best of My Love, Heartache Tonight, Sad Cafe, New Kid in Town, and, How Long. He also performed Talking to the Moon. He performed a number of other songs as well including, of course, You're Only Lonely.

It was just him as a strict solo act with acoustic guitar and occasionally he played piano. Very funny and personable. Very glad I went!

Sounds wonderful, LTEF! I love his voice. And I have always loved acoustic sets from singer-songwriters sharing their stories. They're so raw and intimate, you feel like you really get to know the artist! I'm glad you had a good time!
    Were his versions of Eagles' songs very different?
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Shoot, I wish I had known you were going! I was all by myself and would have loved the company!

It was indeed a great show. In addition to all those amazing songs of his, he told several interesting stories. Some that might be of particular interest to this group:

He said he and Glenn came up with the name "Longbranch Pennywhistle" in about 30 seconds while stoned. They were going by "John David and Glenn" and had just gotten a drummer who was also named David, and they were hired to play a gig. They needed a band name and couldn't very well do "John David, David, and Glenn." JD was into Mark Twain and liked "Pennywhistle" and Glenn decided that "Longbranch" would be, as JD put it, his "phallic" contribution. LOL. And before they knew it, it was on an album cover.

He said "Heartache Tonight" was written while he and Glenn were walking around a pool smoking and thinking about how so many of those old blues songs were pretty much similar sounding melodies without much of a chorus, and couldn't they write a song like that? So they walked around the pool, snapping their fingers and smoking, thinking up, "Somebody's gonna hurt someone..." etc. They got Don Henley involved, but they still couldn't come up with a chorus, so they called Bob Seger who contributed the "Heartache Tonight" bit and there you have it (although JD joked that he called Don and asked him "How do you feel about four songwriters?" since that was "spreading the dollar a bit thin" but Don agreed lol).

The beautiful song "Last in Love," one of my faves, was also accompanied by a story. JD said that he and Glenn could never remember whether they had written it with him in mind to sing it or with Glenn in mind to sing it but in the end, it was someone else entirely who wound up recording it first - Nicolette Larson in 1978. JD said that relatively recently, Linda Ronstadt had asked him how Nicolette had "scooped" her on that song. JD replied, "In the usual way." Interpret that how you will!

"New Kid in Town" was dedicated to Glenn; he commented that he dedicates the song to Glenn at every show now.

He talked about composing "Talking to the Moon" with Don, saying that Don had brought him the lyrics and he put together several movements of music that he'd been working on to match. Don hadn't been sure that people would be able to relate to it, but JD joked that after seeing the fantastic response it had gotten when performed live, "I guess a lot of people are from small towns in Texas."

The acoustics were great and it was quite an enjoyable show. I definitely recommend it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Soda. I wish I had came up there and went with you like we did with Joe's show last year. I was going to Peter Cetera's concert on the coast and then it was my picnic today. So I couldn't head up there. We just don't know when he will come back in our area.

I'm glad you had fun.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Great recap Nancy! He is definitely worth seeing for any Eagles fan. Hopefully there will be some other Eagles related shows in the Memphis area soon and we can say hello!

Thanks for sharing, Soda! I liked those little stories that you recapped!

Here's a performance he did in July this year for 88.5 FM Los Angeles. I didn't give it a listen yet. I stumbled upon it, since I'm waiting for them to release the pre-Grammy Museum interview that Nic Harcourt did with Buckingham and McVie.

Link:

http://www.885fm.org/listen/archive/...her_2017_07_27

Yes, great recap Soda thanks so much!

It's odd, I was just watching a couple of videos of JD doing You're Only Lonely and realized this guy is a serious make-me-weak-in-the-knees-babe and I really should go see him in concert if I can.

Not only cute but what a voice. Then and now. jeez, I would have loved to see a duet with the late JJ Cale and JD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcg66aVLLmw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3t3nD-_8zk

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Border Rebel

Thanks for the links, Dawn. I'd forgotten what beautiful song this is. I hadn't heard it for quite awhile. Agree about the duet too.