Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Will they play again?

Default Re: Will they play again?

After months of speculation regarding the identity of the new additions to the bands lineup:

Don Henley has proclaimed:

A. Formal. Announcement. Is. Coming.

Banned

Henley said, Glenn wont be there but the songs are the same. Many years ago he described the Eagles as a mutt or mongrel band. Their sound has evolved throughout their career .
    One of the great strengths of the band is their ability to perform tracks as diverse as Turn To Stone, Life's Been Good. Desperado, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, , Smuggler's Blues, Lying Eyes, Take It To The Limit etc, etc during the same show.

As age weakens their vocals, I think it's a blessing that they are able to play songs that aren't so reliable on having exceptional vocal ability.

The use of the Eagles name is based motivated by finance and prestige. In the last few years Joe has supported Bob Seger and Tom Petty. Don has been billed below Carol King. As Eagles they'd top the bill. If Joe, Tim and Don played two identical shows, one billed as Henley, Schmit, Walsh and the other billed as Eagles, the Eagles show would earn them loads more money.

It took a lot of work, by all of them, to achieve that level of pulling power, they'd be idiots to chuck it away after Glenn's death.

If the Classic East / West shows are deemed a success, the likelihood is that they'll play further shows. If they are disappointing, I don't think the band will crawl under a stone and hide, I think they'll play more shows to attempt to prove any critics wrong.

I'm not bothered by the billing. I just hope that they put on a good show. I don't know what Don means, when he say's that they're not replacing Glenn. They had about 10 musicians on stage when Glenn was alive. I presume that Glenn's great guitar solo in I Can't Tell You Why will still get played.

I hope they finish with 3 or 4 of Glenn's songs to celebrate his career.

Stuck on the Border

Funk - Just MHO but I would bet my bank account they have already made the decision to tour. They will wait until they feel it is the "right" time to announce it.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Henley said, Glenn wont be there but the songs are the same. Many years ago he described the Eagles as a mutt or mongrel band. Their sound has evolved throughout their career .
    One of the great strengths of the band is their ability to perform tracks as diverse as Turn To Stone, Life's Been Good. Desperado, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, , Smuggler's Blues, Lying Eyes, Take It To The Limit etc, etc during the same show.

As age weakens their vocals, I think it's a blessing that they are able to play songs that aren't so reliable on having exceptional vocal ability.

The use of the Eagles name is based motivated by finance and prestige. In the last few years Joe has supported Bob Seger and Tom Petty. Don has been billed below Carol King. As Eagles they'd top the bill. If Joe, Tim and Don played two identical shows, one billed as Henley, Schmit, Walsh and the other billed as Eagles, the Eagles show would earn them loads more money.

It took a lot of work, by all of them, to achieve that level of pulling power, they'd be idiots to chuck it away after Glenn's death.

If the Classic East / West shows are deemed a success, the likelihood is that they'll play further shows. If they are disappointing, I don't think the band will crawl under a stone and hide, I think they'll play more shows to attempt to prove any critics wrong.

I'm not bothered by the billing. I just hope that they put on a good show. I don't know what Don means, when he say's that they're not replacing Glenn. They had about 10 musicians on stage when Glenn was alive. I presume that Glenn's great guitar solo in I Can't Tell You Why will still get played.

I hope they finish with 3 or 4 of Glenn's songs to celebrate his career.
    Once again you just brush Glenn himself aside as if he didn't matter. Well, I have news for you. He DID matter. He will ALWAYS matter & it doesn't matter how these people try & cover it up. He cannot be replaced in any adequate fashion. They can say what they like. And your last comment read even more like he would be considered an afterthought. It wouldn't bother you or those like you at all if the man were not even mentioned.

Honestly, I try my best to bypass posts like this. I read the new posts in the 'Eagles 3.0' thread & let it be. Just occasionally however the mind numbing tedium of these casual dismissals of Glenn Frey force me to respond. It is click bait, I know. It's said deliberately. It goes on & on & on. I just get very tired of it. I get tired of having to metaphorically bite my tongue. I know Glenn Frey fans no longer matter. It pains me to be reminded of it every single time a post like this is made.

And I guess it's just as tedious for those like you who agree with all this to have me complaining about it. Fair enough, I guess. I will say just this; if some effort, anything AT ALL, had been made to give Glenn Frey's fans something to remember him by, perhaps we (or me) would feel less bitter, less ignored, less - there is no other word - betrayed.

Now I really have expressed how I feel on this issue. It is time I ended it. I can change nothing.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-12-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I have tried to not let the fact that I'm a Glenn fan spoil the fun for those who enjoy the band continuing. But I've noticed that people are just pushed (by some) to the "biased, blindly adoring, fanatic lunatics" pen whenever they see anything from Glenn's point of view. Anyway, although personally I won't participate in any "3.0" discussion anymore, Freypower has my sympathy, support or whatever the correct word is and I'm glad that she's still not afraid to express how she feels about it.
    Last edited by chaim; 05-13-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Border Desperado

Not to be a pain, but I don't think this is the Eagles 3.0 thread. Not that it makes a difference really.

I have no comment as I am not sure what just happened.

However, I will ask how you are feeling Chain. Is that flu finally gone? I hope so! Sounded awful!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VillageGirl View Post
    Not to be a pain, but I don't think this is the Eagles 3.0 thread. Not that it makes a difference really.

However, I will ask how you are feeling Chain. Is that flu finally gone? I hope so! Sounded awful!
    Thanks for asking. No, it's not gone.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VillageGirl View Post

No it isn't.

What I said was I noted the new posts in that thread and refrained from commenting on them. I commented here, because I got finally frustrated to the point of wanting to scream at the way F50 brushes Glenn aside. I also indicated that I am done with it. I just had to clarify this point. Apologies. But thank you, Toni. In the words of some other great geniuses, it's gonna get better for me as I leave this behind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    No it isn't.

What I said was I noted the new posts in that thread and refrained from commenting on them. I commented here, because I got finally frustrated to the point of wanting to scream at the way F50 brushes Glenn aside. I also indicated that I am done with it. I just had to clarify this point. Apologies. But thank you, Toni. In the words of some other great geniuses, it's gonna get better for me as I leave this behind.
    The reason I brush Glenn aside is because he is dead. Unless he rises from the grave he is not going to play any further part in the Eagles. It's like that Randy Newman song I Want You To Hurt Like I Do. I'm over Glenn's death. I'm not hurting. I'm looking forward to the future.

Funk, even if you feel this way, there is no need to express yourself in such an insensitive manner. Even if you're not hurting, you know other people are, especially the one to which you were speaking. You also know she has not been well. I can't imagine telling a grieving person that you brush aside their deceased loved one because you're over it. You could have just said you were focusing on the future. Even so, history matters to a lot of people. Please be kind. It won't cost you a dime.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."