Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Will they play again?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Will they play again?

I'm in this thread, and other ones, predicting that Eagles will never play again. But, hindsight is always 20/20. I really thought it unlikely.

I also thought it unlikely. I was as surprised as anyone when these two East/West concerts were announced.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Border Rebel

I guess now the question is: Will they play again after the East/West concerts? I wonder if they've decided that, or they're just waiting to see how these shows go, or if they're just planning to do those two shows.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I would guess that if they're going to play these concerts that they will play again. But, that's only a guess and I have nothing really to back up this supposition.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I guess now the question is: Will they play again after the East/West concerts? I wonder if they've decided that, or they're just waiting to see how these shows go, or if they're just planning to do those two shows.
    Well the precedent is set. Eagles did several of these type of show in the 70s but very rarely since HFO. I'm pleased that they'll be playing to general (rich) rock fans rather than just (rich) Eagles fans. They've been quite aloof since the resumption. I hope they do more, especially if it's professionally screened on TV or the internet.

Will Classic East /West be filmed or even broadcast?

Don and Joe both say they hope their best work is in front of them, rather than behind them. I hope some of that is as Eagles. I skipped the HOTE Tour but I'd probably be up for a "Remnants" show if they play semi-locally.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968
    So strange to go back and reread this thread. Some had the way of it exactly and didn't even realize it, and some were completely wrong in their estimation of what they were sure would never, ever happen. I would like to think that we have all learned a lesson about projecting onto strangers but I'm sure we haven't learned a thing.
    redstorm1968, I have learned a lesson from it. I have learned that I grossly misjudged Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit. I was so sure they wouldn't do this. I was so wrong.

I guess I should feel foolish, but instead I just feel sad.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Objectively I would say that they will play again. I think they will use the classic festivals as an opportunity to test the waters to see how an arrangement without Glenn will be received. There are still enough people out there who missed their chance to see the band previously and who wont care what the lineup is. Therefore east/west will be a success.

They will have put too much rehearsal into East/West to give up after it. So I think they will do a US tour later in the year and if things go well will expand on it. Its just what I think. I reserve judgement on whether it is appropriate or now
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I also think that they will continue after the Classic. I don't think it's a good idea, but a probable one.

Stuck on the Border

Ditto, I also agree. East/West will test the waters for continuing. If I remember right, Don even stated the same thing saying if the festival worked out they would consider continue touring together. Which I took to mean they have already consider to do so. The East/West Festival keeps popping up on my FB feed and I would say half the people posting say they want to see them while stating it will not be the same without Glenn.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 05-03-2017 at 09:48 PM.

I'm still struggling to accept this. How can they ever sound like the Eagles without Glenn's vocals? Even if they dropped all the songs on which Glenn sang lead vocals, and Don took over Glenn's part on songs where they shared lead vocals, what about the harmonies? Take a real good listen to 'After the thrill is gone' (a fine example) before you answer the question.

I know people will say that the Eagles had line-up changes in the past i.e Bernie & Randy, who left a long time ago, and Don Felder's who was sacked & not replaced, but to me it's not the same. They'd just celebrated 40 years of the Eagles. Don & Glenn are the only 2 Eagles who had done the full 40 years. I mean no disrespect to Timothy and Joe, who were truly Eagles! I'm just stating a fact.

As I said previously, I don't have a problem with Don, Timothy & Joe performing together, just not under the Eagles name. If they performed as Henley, Smitt & Walsh, that would be acknowledging that without Glenn they can't sound the same.

Maybe some of you will think I'm being pedantic about this, but it's how I feel.

p.s. Being a fan of Will Hollis as well as being a long - time Eagles fan, gives me a dilemma; I don't want to support the continued use of the name 'Eagles' by going to any future shows where they perform under that name, but this means I'll have to miss out on seeing and hearing Will. Although I can still go to Don's solo shows and see Will. I guess that'll just have to do.
    Last edited by StephUK; 05-11-2017 at 10:16 PM.