Page 94 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I posted the link 2 pages back.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Ah yes, Old Black. Someone may have posted the story of Old Black before, but that was a trade. Jeff Hanna of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band told the story in an interview. (I'm also a MAJOR Dirthead. See them live if you have a shot, too.) If I remember right, Jeff picked it up somewhere, then gave it to the NGDB drummer Jimmie Fadden, who then traded it to Glenn for some piece of equipment. Glenn painted it black and there you are.

And another fun Glenn anecdote, from John McEuen, string wizard for the NGDB. (Bernie Leadon was with them for a time after John left to raise his kids.) Anyway, McEuen has about seven kids, and I think this was when they all lived in Colorado. It may have been SoCal, but I believe it was Colorado. So, McEuen's wife has one of their kids, and the Dirt Band is on the road. The Eagles, however, were home, and Glenn took Mrs. McEuen flowers in the hospital, since John wasn't there to do it.

As John himself told it, "When you're a guy who looks like I do, you don't want a guy who looks like Glenn Frey taking flowers to your wife." LOLOL. John's tall and lanky and while I think he's precious, objectively, well, Glenn. 'Nuff said. John has that story on his website, but also told it in concert one night. I asked him about it after the show (they always do a meet and greet), and he laughed and said, "Yeah, for a week after I got home, all she could talk about was Glenn said this or that and how cute he is. Made me feel kinda insecure." LOLOL.

I always loved this little story. Makes me laugh every time.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    Ah yes, Old Black. Someone may have posted the story of Old Black before, but that was a trade. Jeff Hanna of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band told the story in an interview. (I'm also a MAJOR Dirthead. See them live if you have a shot, too.) If I remember right, Jeff picked it up somewhere, then gave it to the NGDB drummer Jimmie Fadden, who then traded it to Glenn for some piece of equipment. Glenn painted it black and there you are.

And another fun Glenn anecdote, from John McEuen, string wizard for the NGDB. (Bernie Leadon was with them for a time after John left to raise his kids.) Anyway, McEuen has about seven kids, and I think this was when they all lived in Colorado. It may have been SoCal, but I believe it was Colorado. So, McEuen's wife has one of their kids, and the Dirt Band is on the road. The Eagles, however, were home, and Glenn took Mrs. McEuen flowers in the hospital, since John wasn't there to do it.

As John himself told it, "When you're a guy who looks like I do, you don't want a guy who looks like Glenn Frey taking flowers to your wife." LOLOL. John's tall and lanky and while I think he's precious, objectively, well, Glenn. 'Nuff said. John has that story on his website, but also told it in concert one night. I asked him about it after the show (they always do a meet and greet), and he laughed and said, "Yeah, for a week after I got home, all she could talk about was Glenn said this or that and how cute he is. Made me feel kinda insecure." LOLOL.

I always loved this little story. Makes me laugh every time.
    Now you know how my husband feels lol
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Hi Pippinwhite - Just a question regarding Old Black - Everything I had read, including interviews from Glenn and Jackson, indicated Jackson had given Glenn the guitar when he did not like how it worked. I never read about the guitar being a gift from a guy in NGDB and Glenn painting it. Just wondering.....
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 06-01-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I've read the Jackson Browne story, too - it was an interview Glenn gave in 1982. Jackson was in The Nitty Gritty Band at one point, so possibly he got it in a trade with Jimmie Fadden and later gave it to Glenn.

Pippin, it's so nice to hear different stories. Thank you.

Jeff gave that interview to Vintage Guitar Magazine about seven years ago, so my memory may be faulty on the exact details, I freely admit. LOL. I know he had the guitar at one point. Maybe he gave it to Jackson, which would make sense, since Jackson also played with the NGDB for a while. All those guys knew each other, and played the same places, so they were all buddies.

I have that issue somewhere. If I can find it, I'll refresh my memory on the details and will post.

Love the story Pippin!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I love that story, too. And in reference to the origins of Old Black, it did originally belong to Jeff Hanna. I didn't find the magazine; I just asked Jeff on Facebook. LOLOL. That was his answer.

Old Black is obviously as much of a road dog as the rest of the guys. Heheh.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    I love that story, too. And in reference to the origins of Old Black, it did originally belong to Jeff Hanna. I didn't find the magazine; I just asked Jeff on Facebook. LOLOL. That was his answer.

Old Black is obviously as much of a road dog as the rest of the guys. Heheh.
    A road dog whose day is not yet done as it looks like Deacon Frey is the current keeper of Old Black.

If you ever find that magazine, please share the story. That guitar has quite a history.

I tracked down Jeff Hanna's facebook post about Glenn Frey:
    https://www.facebook.com/nittygritty...type=3&theater

Stuck on the Border

UTW - Thanks for the FB link - it was interesting. Very cool that Deacon is playing old black. I had read somewhere(can't remember where) that Glenn had the guitar strung backwards due to his being left handed. Anyone know if this is true. If so, I guess Deacon would have had to had it re-strung as he is right handed based on the videos I have seen.