Page 83 of 129 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Redcloud, it's more of the fact that Glenn as far as we know never had a relationship with his biological father since his real dad abandoned his family, so it's very unlikely he would use that name. I'm pretty sure his step-father actually legally adopted him so Glenn's legal last name is Frey. I agree too that he probably was cremated since there's no burial information out there and even though people are famous burial sites are usually easy to find with how the US keeps those records open to the public (same with birth, death, and marriage certificates and divorces).
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Desperado

Redcloud, you are too funny!!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Redcloud View Post
    Blimey, I was only contributing to a thread and suggesting a reason why we dont know if he is buried in Rowland heights or not. Not sure what the "British" rant is about or what Jeremy Clarkson has to do with the matter but if you doubt my credentials as a Glenn Frey/Eagles fan, i have been his house in L.A. recently and ive been to the venue where the Hotel California album cover picture was taken. I would now like to visit Glenns grave to pay my respects if there is such a site.

It was just my thoughts and opinion. Like arseholes, everyone has one!
    The story I told was not really an answer to you but a contribution to the thread which was about 'remembering'. That is why I said it was 'an example of lack of name recognition'. I never doubted your credentials in any way. I hope BF was able to clarify it somwhat as I am ignorant of American customs.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-15-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Wait I am missing something. Glenns Father abandonded the family? Innever knrw about that. He said his dad worked in a Factory in HOTE

Glenn's mother was married before. When she married Eddie Frey, he adopted Glenn and gave him his name. Since Glenn was only 3 or 4, he totally considered Eddie his dad. Deacon's middle name is Edward, after him.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

What I've read (here) is that Glenn's mother married Eddie Frey when Glenn was toddler and Glenn always referred to Eddie as his father.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    What I've read (here) is that Glenn's mother married Eddie Frey when Glenn was toddler and Glenn always referred to Eddie as his father.
    Glenns mother divorced his father who was of French Candadian descent a year or so after he was born. His mother married Eddie Frey in 1951.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

This was written a year ago by Rusty Young of Poco, but I didn't see it until today. I searched this thread and it doesn't appear to have been posted before.

Thoughts on Glenn
    January 18, 2016
    I met Glenn Frey at the Troubadour in the late sixties. He'd hang out at the bar with JD Souther and Jackson Browne and talk music and pick up girls. It wasn't long before Glenn and JD (Longbranch Pennywhistle) were opening for Poco at the Troubadour.
    After the Eagles took off, I'd run into Glenn every once in a while. We even had the tables turned and opened some shows for them in the seventies.
    My favorite memory was running into Glenn at The Record Plant in LA back when they were working on the 'One Of These Nights' album.
    Glenn pulled me into a small playback room and put a tape reel on the playback machine.
    It was a rough mix of 'One Of These Nights' and it was amazing. I loved it and let him know I thought they'd knocked it out of park. He was very proud and rightly so.
    What a great legacy Glenn leaves all too soon.

Thanks for those who have posted lovely messages about Glenn.

Those who wish to complain, bicker, and/or rant, please do it in another thread.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I thought about putting this in the Border Gathering thread, but I think it would be more appropriate here.

I spent the last weekend "remembering Glenn Frey" with some very special people: Brooke, Glennsallnighter, Houston Baby, Ive always been a dreamer, and Perfect Little Sister.

After Glenn died last year, I felt very sad that there was no way I could publicly mourn him. There was no memorial service open to the public, no tribute concert by what was left of the Eagles and his musician friends that we could attend. People around me didn't understand why I would be so upset about his death. I decided I wanted to do something public and significant to honor Glenn on the year's anniversary of his death. Hence, the "Border Gathering" in Los Angeles.

On Saturday, we went to Joshua Tree and to Cap Rock, where some of the photos for their first album were taken. There, we buried a time-capsule like box with letters to Glenn and items of special significance to us.

I wrote a letter to Glenn on the same stationary I used when I wrote my first fan letter to him in 2005, right after I'd become "hard core" and had created GlennFreyOnline. I never thought that a little over 11 years later, I'd be using it to write to him posthumously. It was several pages long, and yet it was terribly inadequate to convey all he meant to me. Still, it made me feel better to write it.

I also included a photo of me, PLS, Dreamer, and Glenn at Niagara Falls as well as a ticket stub from that night. Additionally, I slipped in a postcard I'd bought at Pebble Beach during one of those trips. Again, it made me feel better. We said some words, cried some tears, and I said a quiet prayer. I guess, in a way, it was our "memorial service."

On Sunday, after going to Dan Tana's and eating Glenn's favorite dinner, we went to see Jack Tempchin perform. He played a song he'd written for Glenn. I'm not sure what the title is - perhaps "I Never Had a Chance to Say Goodbye" - but it was lovely and brought on some more tears. It was a very appropriate way to end our trip.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow, on the memory of the day; my heart is full.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten