Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Songs for a Dying Planet"!

Default Celebration of "Songs for a Dying Planet"!

Joe's last solo work to date, Songs for Dying Planet was released in 1992 and turns 17 today, right before the "Party of Two" tour with Glenn and the Eagles' subsequent "resumption."

Ironically, the first song on the album, Shut Up, mentions them:
    Well, some friends of mine I never met called me the other day
    They was gonna have a party and they called me to say
    "Hey, Joe, how ya doin'? How's your album? How's your tour?
    How's Don Henley? How's Glenn Frey?
    And who, what, where and when and why?"
    They could not shut up (Can't shut up)
    Little piece of trivia: His song Fairbanks Alaska garnered him an invitation to visit the town from its mayor! I think that song is one of the more memorable on the album.

I think I Know is pretty. So many people don't realize how well Joe can do ballads. He doesn't have a traditional voice for it, but sometimes that can make it even more effective as it makes him sound so genuine. It's not even a 2 minute song, but I think it's my favorite on the album.

You know, I"ll tell ya, I think it's a shame that Joe does so many joke songs when he's capable of so much more - as the years passed he just did more and more of them. It's not that it's bad to do joke songs - look at the terrific Life's Been Good - but that was more a satire, not just silly like some of his later work. JMHO.

For instance, Vote for Me for vice-president (gotta love it) is a commentary on politics as well as funny. That's the jokin' Joe I like.

I think my favorite fast song is It's All Right. It has a good beat, good guitar riffs, good melody.

Certain Situations is good, but not great.

The Friend Song has an interesting instrumental intro. Unfortunately, its verses have a stilted melody that kills the song, despite some touching lyrics.

I have to say I believe covering Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow might have been a mistake.

Decades and Song for a Dying Planet are OK but they try a little too hard and come off somewhat melodramatic.

This album has the distinction of having my least favorite Joe song on it, Coyote Love. I'm not even going to into detail why, because everything about it is awful! The name alone should give you a hint. It sucks HARD. (JMHO)

While the album is not his best work, it does have its highlights, and it shouldn't be completely ragged upon as some do!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Happy Birthday Songs for a Dying Planet!

Wow Nancy, you really have a talent for this

BTW, if you're unfamiliar with the songs, I found this one on YouTube:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9o9ddIZRWU[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSoXzYjEUnI"][/ame]

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I crack up every time I hear Vote For Me!! Overall, not one of my fave albums of his but still listen to it. And, quite frankly, I can't believe it's been 17 years!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I don't have it and am not familiar with any of the songs on it. Sounds like I'm not missing too much!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Im not a big fan of Vote for Me and Song for a Dying Planet, but I LOVE Fairbanks Alaska, Decades, Shut Up and The Friend Song. I really like his cover of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow and even the insulting Coyote Love is fun to sing and Howl with.
    This isnt my favorite of Joe's solo works, but it has it's virtues.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I was away and missed the anniversary of Songs For a Dying Planet. I want to wish it a Happy Birthday!

I may try to make some additional comments when I find some extra time on my hands.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "Songs for a Dying Planet"!

HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY "SONGS FOR A DYING PLANET"!!!

This is the last solo album that Joe released. Don't let it be your last one, Joe!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Seriously - here's hoping Joe makes at least one more album. This one is OK, but we know he can do better. Look at "One Day at a Time" for the evidence.

I saw Joe during this time period opening for either Molly Hatchet or Marshall Tucker. Unfortunately, I don't remember, 'cause I was in about the same shape Joe was. (Not proud of that, just a fact of how things were back then). I remember saying to my then husband that I was really glad we had gone, 'cause I wasn't sure I'd see him again. He looked awful. Staggered around on stage, slurred lyrics, but never missed a lick on the geetar. Sweating like a horse, gray pallor, almost unrecognizable. I was shocked, sad and very worried. He was obviously in a very bad way. I think we're both lucky, and I consider it another thing that we have in common.
    I know I'm not unbiased in any way about Joe. I can find a lick, pick run, chord,clever phrase, something that I like in any song, even if I don't like the song itself. I like the title song, being an environmental scientist, I imagine that he's thanking me...heehee. Is there anyone out there?
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~