Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Movies of the Eagles?

Default Favorite Movies of the Eagles?

Current or past members... I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm very curious.

Default Re: Favorite Movies of the Eagles?

Glenn was impressed with Beverly Hills Cop when he sat in on a screening before being offered the chance to record the movie's theme song The Heat Is On.

Stuck on the Border

Don Felder talked a bit about films in one interview. He liked Kingsman.
    http://crypticrock.com/interview-don-felder/

There's a video interview with Glenn from when he was promoting Let's Get Harry and he was asked about favourite films. I remember his choices were all very 80s (which is when the interview was filmed). My impression was that he liked "regular guy" stuff.

During the HotE promotionm Glenn said how much he liked Alex Gibney's documentary, "Taxi to the Dark Side".

I have a hard time imaging Don Henley spending his time on anything as frivolous as movies. Maybe something instructional with his kids (I'm thinking of an interview where he was asked about books and said he didn't read fiction so I'm extrapolating)!

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post

I have a hard time imaging Don Henley spending his time on anything as frivolous as movies. Maybe something instructional with his kids (I'm thinking of an interview where he was asked about books and said he didn't read fiction so I'm extrapolating)!
    Frivolous??

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    Frivolous??
    Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Henley appreciates literature so it's a safe bet he likes good films too. Besides, didn't he used to date a lot of actresses?

One of Randy's friends said that he is a big Monty Python fan.

In the HOTE documentary, Don H made a reference to "The Last Picture Show". While this doesn't mean it's the one of his favorites, as someone growing up in a small Texas town, it must have been relatable to him.

I would assume Glenn liked James Dean's movies (there were only 3): "Rebel Without a Cause", "East of Eden", and "Giant", the latter being the one he was filming when he died in that tragic car crash.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Troubadour

Why would anyone presume Don doesn't like movies because he's intellectual? That's ridiculous - he appreciates good writing in whatever format. During his show when he leaves the stage he always says "I'm going for a smoke and a pancake" which is a quote from 'Austin Powers'. Also he quoted 'Blazing Saddles' duriing the VH1Storytellers when he took out a piece of paper and said "excuse me while I whip this out! " He loves Ken Burns' documentaries especially the one on the Civil War which is incredible and he got Burns to make a documentary on Walden Woods which will be out next year I think.

So my point remains - don't always put Don in a negative light just because he's clever. He obviously has a good sense of humour as well.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand your question.
    Why would movies be frivolous? Some could say the same about music - I always looked as creations such as music, movies, comedy, literature is the only thing we have that is NOT frivolous.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    In the HOTE documentary, Don H made a reference to "The Last Picture Show". While this doesn't mean it's the one of his favorites, as someone growing up in a small Texas town, it must have been relatable to him.

I would assume Glenn liked James Dean's movies (there were only 3): "Rebel Without a Cause", "East of Eden", and "Giant", the latter being the one he was filming when he died in that tragic car crash.
    It would be interesting to know which James Dean movie was Glenn's favourite - Rebel Without A Cause is the only one of the three that the Eagles directly addressed in James Dean the song. Admittedly this may have been simply because it was easier to work in a reference to that film rather than the others. I suspect it was probably one of the first two, because IIRC he played an older character in Giant which doesn't fit in so well with the teenage anti-hero persona and attitude that Glenn (and many other young Americans at the time) loved. I remember reading (in the Very Best Of liner notes, I think) that Don had seen his films, but that he wasn't aware of the mythology that surrounded them until later (possibly not until he met Glenn and the other guys who loved him).

I definitely don't think Don would consider himself to 'above' films, but I find it somewhat difficult to imagine him being a big blockbuster kind of guy... difficult to know for sure as I've never heard him say much specifically about films, especially compared to books or poetry.