Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Christmas Songs.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by tbs fanatic
    GA - I love The Pogues Are they still together?

I'm not sure what my fav Christmas song is. I REALLY have to be in the mood to listen to a Christmas song. I suppose the classic White Christmas would be among the top ones - sort of cheesy and cool at the same time - Ha!
    Well they played last Christmas at the Point so I presume they still are, or at least get together for 'specials' occasionally.

Yes I agree the lyrics aren't for all. I try to sanitise them in front of the 6 year old but she has a very musical ear!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    I've just purchased The Eagles' "Very Best Of" double CD, and heard "Please Come Home For Christmas" for the first time. I love it, and I already rank it as a favourite. Don's vocal is fantastic!
    You just heard this for the first time? Wow.
    The Christmas season doesn't really begin for me until I have heard that familiar Bong-Bong-Bong-Bong and Don's voice croons "Bells will be ringing...."
    My favorite classic rock station played that song just yesterday while I was running errands, and it brought a giant smile to my face as I listened!

While we are on this topic, you really should listen to the Eagles' song Funky New Year, too. It's not a classic like Please Come Home for Christmas , but it is worth it to me to hear Don's groans at the beginning of the song and then to hear him say, "My hair hurts," and "Nurse, I'm worse," and "Whose shoes are these?"
    Thanks for this, DF, but I don't know where to find the song. It sounds like fun, though!

I can imagine how you felt when you heard PCHFC on the radio!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I would have thought Go Tell It On The Mountain was more just a straight gospel song rather than being associated with Christmas?

I know Feliz Navidad from hearing it everywhere I went in the US over Christmas 1988 in Los Angeles and San Antonio. There is also the German song O Tannenbaum (otherwise known as Oh Christmas Tree).

I do like We Three Kings, Oh Holy Night and Oh Little Town of Bethlehem - but all the stuff about snow like Winter Wonderland doesn't cut much ice (pun intended) in the middle of an Australian summer.
    I actually heard "Go Tell It On The Mountain" for the first time on Helmut Lotti's Christmas album from 1998. Therefore I see it as a Christmas song. He also does "O Tannenbaum" on the album. He isn't well-known all over the world, but he's an excellent singer. He's credited his wanting to enter the music business to Elvis Presley, and this is particularly obvious when he sings GTIOTM.

I can understand your not being able to identify with the wintry references in many Christmas songs, since it's summer in South Africa in December too. I still enjoy those songs, though.

I wish Glenn had recorded a Christmas song!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire) by Dean Martin or Karen Carpenter ranks way up there and also, Elvis' Blue Christmas.
    Thank you, Brooke! When I put in my first post yesterday under this topic, I just couldn't get to the name of "The Christmas Song" (and it's so obvious - LOL!), so I left it out! Now that you've reminded me of the title, I have to include Nat 'King' Cole's version of it as among my favourites. It was one of my mom's favourites, too - she loved anything by Nat 'King' Cole. I'm glad you also like "Blue Christmas"!

Mrs F, Funky New Year is the B side on Please Come Home for Christmas, and I think the boxed sets are only places you can hear it. It was included in the black Eagles box set last year, and there is another live version that was recorded at the Eagles' Millennium shows in the Selected Works box set.

Here's a live version from a Las Vegas Millennium show (not the officially released one):

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...LasVegas99.mp3

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

These are the lyrics, but be warned, they are not for everyone.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/pogues/..._20109730.html

This is a performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY
    To be off subject for a second - While watching the video I noticed the Pogues - And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda - my fav, fav, fav Pogues song.

Thanks for putting the Funky New Year clip up, Soda. It is one of my fondest wishes that they will eventually release the entire Millennium show on video someday.

While I like Don's cute little "broke up, got back together" comments on this version, I must admit I like his adlibs at the end of the original version better!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    I would have thought Go Tell It On The Mountain was more just a straight gospel song rather than being associated with Christmas?

I know Feliz Navidad from hearing it everywhere I went in the US over Christmas 1988 in Los Angeles and San Antonio. There is also the German song O Tannenbaum (otherwise known as Oh Christmas Tree).

I do like We Three Kings, Oh Holy Night and Oh Little Town of Bethlehem - but all the stuff about snow like Winter Wonderland doesn't cut much ice (pun intended) in the middle of an Australian summer.
    I actually heard "Go Tell It On The Mountain" for the first time on Helmut Lotti's Christmas album from 1998. Therefore I see it as a Christmas song. He also does "O Tannenbaum" on the album. He isn't well-known all over the world, but he's an excellent singer. He's credited his wanting to enter the music business to Elvis Presley, and this is particularly obvious when he sings GTIOTM.

I can understand your not being able to identify with the wintry references in many Christmas songs, since it's summer in South Africa in December too. I still enjoy those songs, though.

I wish Glenn had recorded a Christmas song!

I spent my teen years in Arizona. We have a pic of my dad on Christmas day lying in the sun (in just a pair of shorts) with a jar of sun tea brewing next to him. lol I've lived the rest of my life in the California Bay Area so I've never had a white Christmas either.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Go Tell It On The Mountain has always been a Christmas song to me. That's the only time of year I ever hear it. Our choir also likes to do Tell Me The Old Old Story at Christmas time too. My first thought was it wasn't a Christmas song, but after listening to the lyrics, yes, it is.

I've always lived where I have all four seasons, so I can't imagine a warm/sandy Christmas!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten