Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Rolling Stone Special Edition Tribute to the Eagles

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Rolling Stone Special Edition Tribute to the Eagles

I really don't like when any magazine does these lists (including for TV shows, movies, and books) because it makes me wonder how they came up with it if they don't explain it. Was it just one writer's list or was it voted on by multiple writers/critics for the magazine? Every Eagles fan's list is going to be different so how can anyone make up a list. LOL But I agree some songs I wouldn't have on the list and it's missing ones I really liked from LROOE and my order would be different too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't think they put it online so here is their ranking:

1. Hotel California
    2. Take It Easy
    3. Desperado
    4. Peaceful Easy Feeling
    5. New Kid In Town
    6. Already Gone
    7. Lyin' Eyes
    8. Life In The Fast Lane
    9. One Of These Nights
    10. Heartache Tonight
    11. I Can't Tell You Why
    12. The Long Run
    13. Tequila Sunrise
    15. Best Of My Love
    15. Take It To The Limit
    16. In The City
    17. Witchy Woman
    18. James Dean
    19. On The Border
    20. The Sad Café
    21. After The Thrill Is Gone
    22. Hollywood Waltz
    23. Try & Love Again
    24. Doolin-Dalton
    25. Wasted Time
    26. Those Shoes
    27. The Last Resort
    28. The Disco Strangler
    29. Ol '55
    30. Victim Of Love
    31. Bitter Creek
    32. My Man
    33. Most Of Us Are Sad
    34. Love Will Keep Us Alive
    35. How Long
    36. Outlaw Man
    37. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    38. Pretty Maids All In A Row
    39. Please Come Home For Christmas
    40. Saturday Night

As I said above, the almost total exclusion of the LROOE album borders on criminal & there are some inclusions & rankings which for me are extremely dubious.
    I looked at this list and the comments that have been made and I was reminded of the Border Poll we conducted in 2012 to celebrate the band's 40th Anniversary. It's pretty amazing but the Top 40 list that we Borderer's came up with was not that different. There were 15 songs (3/4's) that made the Top 20 in each list - these are highlighted in dark red below. Also, 28 songs (about 2/3's) made both list - I highlighted them in blue below. That means there were only 12 songs on each that didn't make both lists. Long Road Out of Eden was much better represented on The Border list. The numbers in parenthesis represented where the song finished in the Rolling Stone list ...

1. Take It Easy - (2)
    2. Hotel California – (1)

3. Already Gone – (6)
    4. Take It To the Limit – (15)
    5. One of These Nights – (9)

6. Heartache Tonight – (10)
    7. Peaceful Easy Feeling - (4)

8. New Kid In Town – (5)
    9. Life In the Fast Lane – ( 8 )
    10. I Can't Tell You Why – (11)

11. Lyin' Eyes – (7)

12. Waiting In the Weeds
    13. The Best of My Love – (14)
    14. Seven Bridges Road
    15. Tequila Sunrise – (13)
    16. Desperado – (3)
    17. Witchy Woman – (17)
    18. Love Will Keep Us Alive – (34)
    19. Wasted Time – (25)

20. Get Over It

21. Long Road Out of Eden
    22. The Long Run – (12)
    23. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
    24. Victim of Love – (30)
    25. How Long – (35)
    26. Ol' 55 – (29)
    27. In the City – (16)
    28. The Last Resort – (27)
    29. Somebody
    30. James Dean – ( 18 )

31. Doolin-Dalton – (24)
    32. Pretty Maids All In a Row – ( 38 )

33. Bitter Creek – (31)
    34. After the Thrill Is Gone – (21)
    35. What Do I Do With My Heart
    36. No More Cloudy Days
    37. King of Hollywood
    38. No More Walks in the Wood
    39. Good Day In Hell
    40. Learn To Be Still

Here is a link to the thread if you are interested in how we arrived at our final list ...
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=3769

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for posting the rankings FP! I haven't got a copy of this either - the timing of its release was especially unfortunate as I had a big load of exams around May so I wasn't able to look into it then, and it wasn't in the student union shop on my university campus which sells music magazines.

With regards to the list itself, I love looking over things like this and there is so much that I can say! I'll start by saying that I pretty much agree with the comments so far. The majority of the top 20 is quite predictable in terms of the songs that feature if not in the actual order - I did notice that the 10 tracks from GH Vol 1 and the six singles from the Hotel California and Long Run albums took up 16 of the top 17 places, a sequence broken only by In The City, which came 16th ahead of Witchy Woman. These are great songs, but I personally don't think the hit songs tower above the rest of their music in the way this might suggest. The top three are obvious, but I can't really disagree with them. I concur with tlr in thinking that PEF is perhaps slightly too high (still a great song though) and being pleased that the seminal NKIT is in the top five.

From Long Road Out Of Eden I would say that How Long (which fully deserves its spot) should be joined in the top 40 at the very least by WITW and the title track, which are undisputed Eagles classics in my book. Toni is absolutely spot on here! I'd also like to find room for Somebody and Do Something (I much prefer this to LWKUA) and maybe also songs such as Last Good Time In Town and Business As Usual. If I was to be extremely generous, I would say that they were probably correct not to include Busy Being Fabulous, which would have been an 'easy' choice as it was a single with a video. I fully agree that The Disco Strangler shouldn't be anywhere near The Last Resort (which would be in my overall top ten at the very least, probably top five). Even worse though was putting Greeks above PMAIAR. That is the single worst decision on the list and a crying shame in my view.

The biggest absentee for me personally is the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise), which like The Last Resort is another of my absolute favourites. It always gets ignored, but it is a crucial part of the album and combines two already great songs in even more stunning fashion. One song that I was surprised didn't make it was Train Leaves Here This Morning - given that it was on the HOTE setlist and often seems to be considered Bernie's signature song. One thing I do like about the list, and which does compensate for the absence of Train, is that Bitter Creek and My Man both made it (they are my two favourite Bernie songs), although I'd have swapped the order. My Man would be a serious top 20 contender for me personally, it's in my top three from OTB for sure.

I think the unluckiest non-LROOE song to miss out was King Of Hollywood, it was one of only two Long Run tracks to not make it (the other being the unloved Teenage Jail). To me it's miles better than Disco Strangler and Greeks. I also think Certain Kind Of Fool and Good Day In Hell should have been up there too, and now I think about it I'm a bit shocked they didn't include Seven Bridges Road.

Thanks also Dreamer for posting the results from the Border top 40! I like the Borderers list more overall, unsurprisingly, although there's a couple of songs on the RS list that I would want to include on my own personal list that aren't on there - My Man, TALA and Those Shoes are the main ones. Having said that though there's more songs that I love that are exclusive to the Border Top 40 (helped by the fact that Borderers acknowledge the existence of Long Road Out Of Eden! ). I would really love to do an exercise like that in future if the opportunity arises.
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 09-05-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I really don't like when any magazine does these lists (including for TV shows, movies, and books) because it makes me wonder how they came up with it if they don't explain it. Was it just one writer's list or was it voted on by multiple writers/critics for the magazine? Every Eagles fan's list is going to be different so how can anyone make up a list. LOL But I agree some songs I wouldn't have on the list and it's missing ones I really liked from LROOE and my order would be different too.
    There were four writers who contributed, one of whom is David Browne, who has written quite a lot about the band for RS. They did do a 'review' of each song. I'm afraid I'm not going to attempt to copy all that here. If anyone is interested in knowing what was said about a particular song, I will post that.

I think they remembered that they did a glowing review of The Long Run & therefore had to include the majority of the songs from that album. Give me Out Of Control or the apparently almost forgotten Good Day In Hell rather than most of that album, except for the also ignored King Of Hollywood.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

'Disco Strangler' & 'Greeks' are personal favourites of mine, but, if I were a rock critic, I would not include them in a top 40 list.

'Long Road' needs its own separate appraisal--Probably too soon to rank any as 'all-timers.' In order of release and album appearance, I would include these songs(I don't have time or patience to rate them properly from #1 to #40):

1. "Take it Easy"
    2. "Witchy Woman"
    3. "Train Leaves Here this Morning"
    4. "Peaceful, Easy Feeling"
    5. "Doolin-Dalton"
    6. "Out of Control"
    7. "Tequila Sunrise"
    8. "Desperado"
    9. "Outlaw Man"
    10. "Bitter Creek"
    11. "Already Gone"
    12. "You Never Cry Like a Lover"
    13. "Midnight Flyer"
    14. "My Man"
    15. "On the Border"
    16. "Ol' 55"
    17. "Best of My Love"
    18. "One of These Nights"
    19. "Too Many Hands"
    20. "Hollywood Waltz"
    21. "Journey of the Sorcerer"
    22. "Lyin' Eyes"
    23. "Take it to the Limit"
    24. "After the Thrill is Gone"
    25. "I Wish You Peace"
    26. "Hotel California"
    27. "New Kid in Town"
    28. "Life in the Fast Lane"
    29. "Wasted Time"
    30. "Victim of Love"
    31. "Try and Love Again"
    32. "The Last Resort"
    33. "Please Come Home for Christmas"
    34. "The Long Run"
    35. "I Can't Tell You Why"
    36. "In the City"
    37. "King of Hollywood"
    38. "Heartache Tonight"
    39. "Those Shoes"
    40. "The Sad Cafe"
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I too agree more with the Border list.

Thanks FP for letting me know. I have the mag so I've seen what they've said for each song. I just tend not to like these lists as it just seems to be made to cause division.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Out on the Border

can anyone tell me that where can i find this?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annever View Post
    can anyone tell me that where can i find this?
    Try amazon or eBay. It's no longer in the shops.