Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watching the Oscars

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Watching the Oscars

I'm so happy Leo finally won!!! I've been a fan of his since I was a pre-teen and this was so well deserved. I'm also happy for Brie Larson and Alicia Vikander.

So far I've only seen 2 of the films that were up for Best Picture: "The Martian", which was great, and "Brooklyn". I loved "Brooklyn" so much as it mirrors my own great-grandparent's story but the nationalities are reversed and happened earlier than the film. My Italian great-grandmother immigrated in the 20s and met my Irish-American great-grandfather in the 30s. So I felt like I weirdly was watching their story along with both sets of my grandparents that met & married in the 50s.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I watched the whole thing and i don't know why.

I know that Sam Smith kid is only 23 but how dumb do you have to be not to just Google something like "gay Oscar winners" - there is Elton John and Sir John Gielgud and loads of people.
    LOL...

Really. My first thought was, "What about Elton John?"

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I'm so happy Leo finally won!!! I've been a fan of his since I was a pre-teen and this was so well deserved. I'm also happy for Brie Larson and Alicia Vikander.

So far I've only seen 2 of the films that were up for Best Picture: "The Martian", which was great, and "Brooklyn". I loved "Brooklyn" so much as it mirrors my own great-grandparent's story but the nationalities are reversed and happened earlier than the film. My Italian great-grandmother immigrated in the 20s and met my Irish-American great-grandfather in the 30s. So I felt like I weirdly was watching their story along with both sets of my grandparents that met & married in the 50s.
    That's so cool, buffy!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    That's so cool Buffy! I've heard good and bad reviews about Brooklyn so I wasn't that pushed on watching it but when I read your comment, it made it sound a lot more interesting so I'll give a go on Sunday night when I get back from my weekend away (that's all I'll be able for )
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"