View Poll Results: Which was the first Eagles album you heard?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eagles (self-titled)

12 25.00%
  • Desperado

1 2.08%
  • On The Border

1 2.08%
  • One Of These Nights

0 0%
  • Hotel California

11 22.92%
  • The Long Run

1 2.08%
  • Long Road Out Of Eden

0 0%
  • A live album (Eagles Live or Hell Freezes Over)

4 8.33%
  • Greatest Hits 1971-75 (Vol 1)

13 27.08%
  • Other compilation album

5 10.42%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which was your first Eagles album?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Which was your first Eagles album?

I wanted to see if there was a poll about this and I've not seen a thread along these lines before, so I'll start one. I thought this would be interesting as given how the Eagles have evolved as a band throughout their career those of us who have started with different albums are likely to have a different perspective on their music, as well as giving an idea of which albums fans are most likely to be introduced to the band by.

I personally started with Hotel California, then heard One Of These Nights. I realised that they were clearly a band with more than one really good album, so I heard the songs from Greatest Hits 1971-75 and then listened to the remaining tracks from the three early albums in reverse order. I listened to most of The Long Run around the same time but only came back to it once I was fully. LROOE I only started listening to more recently, although I heard Waiting In The Weeds some time before I heard any of the others (as I was aware the song was very highly rated).

Given that there is a maximum of 10 albums, and clearly the six 1972-79 studio albums have to be on the list, I've given three of the other slots to LROOE, a live album (Live or HFO, even though the latter strictly isn't entirely live) and the most popular compilation, Greatest Hits 1971-75, with the final spot being given other to other compilations.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Which was your first Eagles album?

Mine was Hotel California followed by Their Greatest Hits & The Long Run when it was released. I then went back & bought the previous albums.

Stuck on the Border

Eagles - it was 1972.

Border Troubadour

Answered this one without thinking and have just realised my first albums were the non-US released 1994 The Very Best of the Eagles compilation, then the 2003 Very Best of, which really got me into them, not Desperado like I've indicated above. However, Desperado was the first Eagles studio album I purposefully listened to, and remains my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I personally started with Hotel California, then heard One Of These Nights. I realised that they were clearly a band with more than one really good album...
    How on earth could you tell that by listening to One of These Nights?

*Takes cover*

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

My parents had Their Greatest Hits when I was about 7 or 8. They also had Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. I remember a summer that was all my dad played on his little cassette player, those two albums.

My first albums were the 'The Very Best of the Eagles' compilation from 1985, then the 'Very Best of' from 2003....
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

For me, it was Hell Freezes Over.

I had seen the special on MTV and liked it enough to buy the cassette tape when I saw it on sale at the music store. I was born in the 70s and had no idea of how big the Eagles had been - only that I knew a few of their songs thanks to the radio (KZZB - the best of the 70s, 80s, and 90s!). It was the last cassette I would ever buy. Shortly thereafter, I bought the two Greatest Hits compilations... and this time, I shelled out for CDs. Not being a hardcore at the time, that was enough for me.

I didn't hear a non-compilation, non-live Eagles album in full until 2005, ten years later, when I rocketed from being "They're a good band" to "THEY'RE FANTASTIC! I ADORE THEM!! I MUST LISTEN TO EVERYTHING THEY'VE EVER DONE!!!" at an alarming speed.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Mine was EAGLES. Yes I am that old.
    I liked it so much that when DESPERADO was released I immediately went out and bought it. My first impression of this album was what good looking guys but I remember also thinking good grief it's a country western album. I kept listening to it and started liking it. It is now one of my favorites!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

My first was Eagles. Yes, I'm that old too! Hubby and I were hooked from the very beginning and bought each one as it was released! Fans forever!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

As a kid, I bought all the 70s Joe Walsh's albums plus a James Gang GH album between 1977 and 1980. I then bought The Eagles Live album as a Christmas present for my dad (The Eagles were parents music) so I could hear the two Joe Walsh cuts.

The Eagles were a lot better than I thought they'd be, the Walsh tracks were the weakest tracks on the double album, so I nicked it back.

Hotel California, The Long Run and then the none-Joe, Greatest Hits albums followed.