Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Where Would You Like To Visit?

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: Where Would You Like To Visit?

I am going to Chicago the week of 4th of July. This is my first trip to the Windy City and I would love to hear everyone's suggestions of things to see & do. Also restaurant suggestions. I don't want to miss any Chicago "must do" - who knows when I will be back there. So any suggestions & tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry I can't help, HB. I'm 2 1/2 hours south of Chicago, but we never go there, unless it's for a concert. But I hope you get some good suggestions and have a great time. What brings you to my neck of the woods?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Thank you anyway PM! I am sure we will have a wonderful time. It seems like a great city. I have an itinerary going but I always like to get people's opinions/suggestions. I am meeting my cousin from FL and his family there for some vacation/visiting time. We try and take a vacation together every year or two. It is always so much fun and we all love to sightsee so it makes for a great time and learning experience.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

HB, I've only been to Chicago once to sight see so I can suggest a few points, but I'm sure there are others here that can do better.

You must see the view of the city from the Sears Tower (now called Willis Tower). It's awesome!

I can never say enough about the Field Museum. I could easily spend a whole day there. There is a huge Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton on display, tons of Egyptian mummies and indian artifacts, jewels, and lots of wildlife and bird exhibits.

The Art Institute is cool. I loved seeing actual Rembrandt, Van Gogh, and Monet paintings.

You must go to Uno's for Chicago style pizza! Loved it!

Google Chicago. There's tons more to see and do!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I too have been lucky to have traveled quite a bit when I was younger. I backpacked my way through Europe when I was 19. I did an 8 week trip, & I spent 2 weeks in Italy, seeing Rome, Florence & Venice, then to Paris, Germany, Belgium, Amsterdam, Switzerland, Holland, & London with a pit stop in Iceland (this was on Icelantic Airlines....I may have forgotten something in there, but it was a long time ago. I had a total blast with my best friend. As an art major in college, I loved seeing all the amazing artwork throughout Europe
    Later, I had the opportunity to return to Italy, this time to Milan, & northern Italy when I worked for an Italian company, & went there on business, but I did have some free time there.

I have also vacationed in Freeport, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Jamacia, Aruba, Turks & Cacios, Cancun, Guataloupe, & the Canary Islands.

In the states, I have been to Arizona, Colorado, California, Wisc, Nashville, Florida, Chicago, Washington & a few other states on the east coast.
    I did a road & camping trip with a friend from LA, driving through the Grand Canyon, Utah, the Colorado River, & into Vegas.

Where do I want to go???? Singapore, Tahiti, Hawaii, Tokyo & the Greek Islands....

Thanks so much Brooke for the suggestions! I really appreciate it! We do have the Field Museum on the list as I have a 10 year old nephew going and he has already checked it out online. We may never get him out of there! We are also going to the Museum of Science and Industry.

Since Houston has a wonderful Museum of Fine Arts and also Contemporary Art Museum, I was going to forego the Art Institute. However I am hearing from several people that it is a must do and now you have added your vote. I think I will reconsider and go at least for a few hours.

And thank you for the pizza place recommendation. I am looking forward to trying Chicago deep dish style pizza. I LOVE cheese!!

Willis Tower is on the list too! I just hope I am not exhausted for the Louisville concert! It will be go, go, go while I am in Chicago which is typical of one of my vacations! I am even trying to figure out if I will have time to take the Louisville Slugger tour before the concert!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    HB, I've only been to Chicago once to sight see so I can suggest a few points, but I'm sure there are others here that can do better.

You must see the view of the city from the Sears Tower (now called Willis Tower). It's awesome!

I can never say enough about the Field Museum. I could easily spend a whole day there. There is a huge Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton on display, tons of Egyptian mummies and indian artifacts, jewels, and lots of wildlife and bird exhibits.

The Art Institute is cool. I loved seeing actual Rembrandt, Van Gogh, and Monet paintings.

You must go to Uno's for Chicago style pizza! Loved it!

Google Chicago. There's tons more to see and do!
    These are all great suggestions. The Willis Tower has that platform you can stand on, which is very cool.

I've also heard the architecture boat tours are great. And of course, if you're a baseball fan, a trip to Wrigley field would be fun. I saw a concert there last September and we were on the field. They let us take pictures touching the ivy, which was pretty cool.

Have a great time! Chicago is one of my favorite cities in the US. So much to do, and a lot of diversity. Easy to get around, as well.

I guess this if for our new friend Ward...or anyone else who has visited the Netherlands...I just saw the most amazing picture of something called "The Moses Bridge"...Have you ever seen it?...

The place I most want to visit is Pompeii; it's history fascinates me.

I'd like to see a lot more of Italy, as I've only been to Venice and the Neopolitan Riviera.

Thanks NYC Fan for the advice! I really appreciate your suggestions. I am planning to get on the platform at Willis Tower HOWEVER we will see how long I stay on it!

And I have heard the same thing about the CAF boat tours so I will definitely do that.

We are going to a Cubs game on July 5th. I would LOVE to touch the ivy but I guess that will not be happening unless I run onto the field. And I guess if I run on the field, I would probably be arrested and then I would miss the Louisville concert. Yeah, I can't see that happening! NO WAY!!

The Cubs will be playing the Pirates. Isn't there someone here on The Border that kinda supports the Pirates? Anyone? Anyone!