Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: computers

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Very interesting stuff. I have a question about the JetClean software. Does anyone know what JetClean does for you that the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter systems tools already on computer don't do? I'm confused about what the differences are. I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this for me.
    Austin will have more details, but basically with JetClean and CClean, it removes your cache. Which does slow down your machine if you have a lot of it. However, some things are important. A local company ran it on my other machine and suddenly I couldn't log in to do my timesheets anymore because the domain disappeared and I didn't remember what it was. I also lost a lot of websites because I didn't have them bookmarked, I relied on cache.

Commercial products of Disk Defragmenter are said to do a better job than the resident Windows tool. I can't remember if JetClean and others do that or not.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Very interesting stuff. I have a question about the JetClean software. Does anyone know what JetClean does for you that the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter systems tools already on computer don't do? I'm confused about what the differences are. I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this for me.
    It basically cleans the disk and the registry. Some are opposed to registry cleaning, but most support it especially since any decent cleaner makes a backup. It's the pay-for registry cleaners that are snakeoil. But good cleaners like CCleaner, JetClean, Eusing, Auslogics, etc are NOT snakeoil and do a great job at speeding up the PC. Also registry defraggers like Auslogics or Quicksys are highly recommended to be ran AFTER the cleaning. Those are separate programs - just like disk defrag (Auslogics, Puran, Defraggler, etc). The only pay for cleaner/defragger all in one I would ever consider paying for is Auslogics BoostSpeed. Auslogics makes great software that really makes a difference and isn't a gimmick.

VA is right in that you don't want to clear your websites if you don't have the remembered or bookmarked but I find that running JetClean or CCleaner really dramatically speeds up the PC.

With JetClean you hit one button and it does both the disk and the registry at the same time - with CCleaner it is two separate cleaners in one program. I find JetClean is a bit more in depth and better for removing more types of junk. Just make sure you remember your logins and then run JetClean... Unless you are really sure about what you are doing - I recommend leaving the default settings and not changing the cleaning protocol. I typically will customize it for people on a case-by-case basis but even default clean is better than no clean at all.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Commercial products of Disk Defragmenter are said to do a better job than the resident Windows tool. I can't remember if JetClean and others do that or not.
    Definitely true.

I recommend using separate tools for everything although programs like AdvancedSystemCare are ok.

My preferred "cocktail" changes as new stuff comes out but right now this is my protocol.

1) Run JetClean. Open the program, hit scan and repair all items.
    2) Run Eusing Registry Cleaner to verify that all registry objects are cleaned. Repair all items.
    3) Run Quicksys Reg Defrag to compact the registry now that empty holes are in the registry where they were cleaned. Reboot when asked.
    4) Run Puran Defrag to defrag the hard drive. Boot time defrag is best but can be ran in Windows.
    5) OPTIONAL - Run BleachBit to verify all files were cleaned. This also cleans old Prefetch data, old Windows Update files that are no longer needed, and other junk files that JetClean may not catch. It is optional but recommended.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    However, some things are important. A local company ran it on my other machine and suddenly I couldn't log in to do my timesheets anymore because the domain disappeared and I didn't remember what it was.
    Thanks for the info VA and Austin. However, what you said here, VA is what concerns me about using these applications. I have no idea what should be maintained and what can be deleted. I'm reluctant to try these for that reason.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

okay guys...I'm very confused...I installed the MalwarBytes last night but it says "trial" next to the name...thought I did it right so I got the free version...but?

and what is "cache"....what is "registry"....I am taking some computer classes free at the local library but so much of this is still greek to me!

we talked about "defrag" today in the class but...??

Zelda, cache is what's kept in the computer's memory. For instance, if you go to your preferred browser and start typing in the address for a website you go to often, usually a dropdown appears with a list of all web addresses you've ever typed in and instead of continuing to type you can move down and select the one you want. When you remove your cache, you won't get those web addresses in the list. Technically, you should have each website you visit often bookmarked or in Favorites, but I get lazy about it.

What I mentioned about my timesheet is that when the page came up, certain things were already prefilled, like my employee number and the domain name. Other websites come up with my username prefilled. This is all in cache.

As I said, having too much in cache will slow your computer down. Removing it will speed it up. In addition, and this is important to remember, some items in cache can be a security issue. If you get hacked and the hacker accesses your cache, having your username is half the battle. You've given him half of the information he needs to get into one of your accounts. So there are other reasons to remove cache besides speed. My advice is to remember your usernames and passwords. Bookmark your websites. Use Chrome if you can't remember a full web address, since its dropdown gives a list of known websites that match your input and not just websites you've entered in the past.

Zelda, you have a new computer and you have a long time before it'll begin to slow down. So you have time to take your courses and learn stuff. I'd pay more attention right now to whatever they say about security first, then think about speed later.

In most computers, it's all the updates from Windows that take up space and slow the thing down, and you can't get rid of them. One thing you can do, if you have an older operating system, is to reload the OS and then apply the service packs that have been issued, then the updates since the last service pack. Unless you are an expert with computers, I'd recommend having this professionally done. It's time consuming and needs to be done all at once as your computer is vulnerable until it's all loaded. Generally, though, once your computer reaches this point, it's a better idea to replace it. Reloading the OS and starting over is no trivial thing. Upgrading to a new OS always breaks a device driver or four, and I've never found a professional that was able to do it correctly. Every time I do it myself I swear I'll never do it again.
    VK

thanks VA...I promise not to talk about computers in AC...only about the handsome men!

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    thanks VA...I promise not to talk about computers in AC...only about the handsome men!
    I don't mind talking about computers! I prefer talking about how wonderful my teams are, but I imagine you won't like that conversation. Of course I'm always up for talking about our handsome men. But computers are my second language, so to speak...
    VK

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Austin and VA, thanks so much for all of your info and help here! You guys are great! It's so nice of you to take the time for this!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    okay guys...I'm very confused...I installed the MalwarBytes last night but it says "trial" next to the name...thought I did it right so I got the free version...but?

and what is "cache"....what is "registry"....I am taking some computer classes free at the local library but so much of this is still greek to me!

we talked about "defrag" today in the class but...??
    That's ok. It will run out after 30 days and still be free. It's just that they offer real time protection rather than just scanning in the trial.

Registry is hard to explain. Basically all programs insert a key in the registry and when you remove a program it doesn't always remove that key and empty keys can slow you down.

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aeof.html
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger