Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: What are you into at the moment?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What are you into at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    I have read a couple - most recently 'The Constant Gardener' - but I definitely want to read more in the near future. Would you recommend any novels in particular? Le Carre was born in the same town as my grandmother (Poole, Dorset) and in the same year, too. I often go back to Poole to wander along the Quay and to watch the boats. It is a beautiful place.

I have always associated myself mainly with the Liberal Democrats, but I admire much of what Labour has done for my country and I am in line with their beliefs in equality, healthcare, opportunity and support for workers. I have only ever voted for those two parties. I am very interested in your views, and I don't believe I know yet which party you identify with!

On another topic, I thought of you yesterday, Julie. I was at my aunt's house for a Mother's Day gathering and my young cousins, Morgan and Beatrice, were sitting on my lap while we watched the Liverpool v Stoke match. Morgan surprised me with his football knowledge (he's six) and both kids were supporting Liverpool. I thought you would approve!
    1. I've only read The Honourable Schoolboy & Smiley's People so far & I recommend both.
    2. Labour (and Labor in Australia & if I were American I'd obviously be a Democrat). New Labour I have to say are a long way from the party of Clement Attlee.
    3. Thanks for thinking of me re Liverpool. Hopefully there will be two trips to Wembley, not one, and even more hopefully two trophies (FA & League Cup) while the only thing Man Utd can win is the actual premiership.

Ah let's see......

My new iPad - I didn't get the 2nd iteration of it - I had the 1st gen and I didn't feel like upgrading so I waited for the recently released 3rd version and I like it a LOT. Cameras are very nice - just used them to shoot a video of my redesigned guitar rig. Also the speed and display are very nice too. I have to say though, I feel while the display is much better than the other versions, it didn't blow me away quite like I thought it would. It's a much better display, but I didn't go "WOW!", either.

Computers - Seems like this is virus season and a lot of what I do as a computer tech is removing viruses for people as they are very prevalent. I try to stay up to date on all of the latest malware removal technologies and what have you, in order to keep up. I get the ones that others can't fix where it's corrupted the OS, hid all the files, rootkits that won't go away - the "good" stuff.

Live albums - I've been digging out all of my favorite live albums and listening to them. I think they are very cool, especially the great quality ones. Eagles Live, Get Your Ya Ya's Out (Stones), REO Speedwagon Live, One More from The Road (Skynyrd), Foghat Live, At Budokan (Cheap Trick), AC/DC Live, Live Bootleg (Aerosmith), Alive (KISS, before they became a joke and actually had good songs) etc. All great live albums and I love the live sound and all of that. It really makes you feel like you were there, in a way.

Rock biographies - I've been getting some new rock memoir books and I love reading those. I also reread some of my old ones. I love learning about them (artist/band) and reading all of the details about the history. I skip over the parts about excess and all of those details, though as I want to remember them as being perfectly innocent. Those don't appeal to me at all.

I think that's it... I'll put all of my life updates in the "Life" thread.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Ah let's see......

Live albums - I've been digging out all of my favorite live albums and listening to them. I think they are very cool, especially the great quality ones. Eagles Live, Get Your Ya Ya's Out (Stones), REO Speedwagon Live, One More from The Road (Skynyrd), Foghat Live, At Budokan (Cheap Trick), AC/DC Live, Live Bootleg (Aerosmith), Alive (KISS, before they became a joke and actually had good songs) etc. All great live albums and I love the live sound and all of that. It really makes you feel like you were there, in a way.

Rock biographies - I've been getting some new rock memoir books and I love reading those. I also reread some of my old ones. I love learning about them (artist/band) and reading all of the details about the history. I skip over the parts about excess and all of those details, though as I want to remember them as being perfectly innocent. Those don't appeal to me at all.

I love Rock Bios too. I've been reading them for the past year as research for the book I'm attempting to write. I mostly read about the bands from the early 70's. I'm trying to get my hands on the bio about "Badfinger" called "Without You" It's outrageously expensive & very rare. I've seen it go for like $400. If anyone finds it at a good price, please let me know.
    Right now I'm reading about Jim Morrison, "No One Get's Out Alive"

I'm also into LIVE albums. Austin, If you haven't heard, Humble Pie, "Live at the Fillmore", that's one, you've got to hear. This is from when Peter Frampton was with them. Also the WHO, "Live at Leeds" These are two of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I love Rock Bios too. I've been reading them for the past year as research for the book I'm attempting to write. I mostly read about the bands from the early 70's. I'm trying to get my hands on the bio about "Badfinger" called "Without You" It's outrageously expensive & very rare. I've seen it go for like $400. If anyone finds it at a good price, please let me know.
    Right now I'm reading about Jim Morrison, "No One Get's Out Alive"

I'm also into LIVE albums. Austin, If you haven't heard, Humble Pie, "Live at the Fillmore", that's one, you've got to hear. This is from when Peter Frampton was with them. Also the WHO, "Live at Leeds" These are two of my favorites!
    I just made a two page Word document today of the books I have left to get that are out.

Also Peter Criss, Bret Michaels, and Joe Perry are all supposedly writing a book. I've been wanting to get Ace Frehley's book, being a "classic" KISS fan (the first 4 albums or so when it was rockin' and not all commercialized but actually fun rock songs) and a few others.

About live albums - I will check the Humble Pie album out - I like that band. The Who Live at Leeds is classic and I have that one too and I like some of their songs but Pete Townsend's destruction of guitars (along with a few others) messes with my head a bit and makes me in a way appreciate them less. Just one of those things I guess but I love the first few albums of theirs as well. Big fan of I Can't Explain, Magic Bus, Substitute, etc.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    The Who Live at Leeds is classic and I have that one too and I like some of their songs but Pete Townsend's destruction of guitars (along with a few others) messes with my head a bit and makes me in a way appreciate them less. Just one of those things I guess but I love the first few albums of theirs as well.
    I totally hear you on that, Austin. A quality guitar is surely a work of time and craftsmanship, and to wilfully destroy it belittles the craftsman's efforts (admittedly, I'm only ASSUMING that these are decent guitars!).

Not to mention - most people have to work really had to save up for luxuries like a decent guitar - it's quite galling to see wilful destruction of something a hard-working kid has given blood sweat & tears to have!!

Okay, rant over.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

I never really understood the whole guitar smashing thing, but Townshend was making some kind of statement with that. He explained it once, but somehow my old brain doesn't remember the explanation! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    I totally hear you on that, Austin. A quality guitar is surely a work of time and craftsmanship, and to wilfully destroy it belittles the craftsman's efforts (admittedly, I'm only ASSUMING that these are decent guitars!).

Not to mention - most people have to work really had to save up for luxuries like a decent guitar - it's quite galling to see wilful destruction of something a hard-working kid has given blood sweat & tears to have!!

Okay, rant over.
    Yeah, they weren't Walmart guitars, LOL. These were classic Gibsons, Fenders, etc that were likely good/great guitars...

I was flipping through channels the other day and just happened to catch Pearl Jam doing a tribute to the Who and the guitarist smashed a BEAUTIFUL flametop Sunburst '59 Reissue GIBSON Les Paul, I guess trying to be like Pete... Busted right in two and then proceeded to stomp on it. I could have reached through that frickin' TV and strangled him. That is one of the guitars I would LOVE to have. Not that I ever cared for that band anyway or any similar band of it's genre (Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc), but that just pissed me off!

So yeah - guitar smashing is not for me. I completely agree with your rant!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Many other guitar players smashed guitars. Hendrix lit his on fire. That guitar smashing with the WHO ended pretty fast. It was only in the very early days.

Besides, what I find more disrespectful is the demolitions that most bands did of the hotels they stayed at. And this includes the Eagles. Destroying property is really showing disrespect to not just the hotel, but to all the other people staying at those hotels, who many times had to be evacuated due to the damages done by bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Many other guitar players smashed guitars. Hendrix lit his on fire. That guitar smashing with the WHO ended pretty fast. It was only in the very early days.

Besides, what I find more disrespectful is the demolitions that most bands did of the hotels they stayed at. And this includes the Eagles. Destroying property is really showing disrespect to not just the hotel, but to all the other people staying at those hotels, who many times had to be evacuated due to the damages done by bands.
    Not that many by comparison, but yes more than just the Who. But that said, the bands that did I personally never cared for anyway.

The hotel thing never bothered me as much - but I guess I'm more sentimental about the guitars but also because I hadn't thought of it.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 04-02-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I have been watching Celebrity Apprentice. As much as I can't stand Donald Trump, I really love this show. Last nights episode was intense!!!
    In the first part of the show Dee Snider won over $300,000. for his charity The March of Dimes, so that was fantastic. The guys team has been on a roll & getting along pretty well. The woman's team is another story. That witch Aubrey O' Day, ( I never heard of her or seen her before this show) is a control freak, maniac. She bosses everyone around & Lisa Lampanelli is another mouth that does not shut up!! As much as Aubrey & Lisa think they are the force behind the team; they lose every time.

For the second half of the show, they combined the teams to Coed, I guess because the women kept losing, and only had 4 players left.
    Well, Aubrey, as usual was taking over, even though Arsenio Hall was the PM. Well, come time in the boardroom, Arsenio told her off big time. I was thrilled. They won the task, but he did not let Aubrey take the credit, & shut her fat mouth!! It's high time somebody told her off. Ultimately Dee got fired, for making up the crummy promo cube. At least he won lots of cash for his charity, so I hope he didn't feel too bad..

I'm rooting for Clay Aiken, (who's excellent on the show) and Arsenio.