Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The great "Hotel California" debate.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: The great "Hotel California" debate.

Quote Originally Posted by BBKron View Post
    When Bernie Leadon left the Eagles in 1975, another decision would affect the Talbots — one based on their Christian backgrounds.
    The Talbots were drifting toward the Jesus Movement. John Michael said, “It was left up to (Eagles members) Don Henley and Glenn Frey. Glenn wanted us to join the Eagles. He knew how good we were and thought it would be cool.
    “Frey was the one who said, 'I can’t cut all that Jesus stuff.’ ... So they wound up hiring Joe Walsh — and the Eagles became a rock ’n’ roll band.
    Well - the reason I asked to see what had been written or said is about this is because I have read every book that has been published about the band (at least, that I am aware of) and I have also never heard any mention at all of this. Every account I have ever read is pretty much the same ...

During the last few months/weeks that Bernie was in the band, it was becoming increasingly apparent that his days with the band were numbered. After the "beer over Glenn's head" incident in early December '75, that pretty much sealed Bernie's exit. On December 20, 1975, the announcement came in a press release from Irving Azoff that Bernie was leaving and was going to be replaced by Joe. So Joe had been approached beforehand. Glenn was the one that was adament about Joe being Bernie's replacement, while Henley was rather reluctant to bring Joe in. But with Glenn and Irving (who managed Joe as well) both pushing for Joe, they won out.

Don Felder's account in his book 'Heaven and Hell' is consistent with this. He writes on Page 154, "No other candidates were suggested, and Joe Walsh was given his greatest Christmas present on a plate - membership in the Eagles".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    ...On December 20, 1975, the announcement came in a press release from Irving Azoff that Bernie was leaving and was going to be replaced by Joe. So Joe had been approached beforehand. Glenn was the one that was adament about Joe being Bernie's replacement, while Henley was rather reluctant to bring Joe in. But with Glenn and Irving (who managed Joe as well) both pushing for Joe, they won out.

Don Felder's account in his book 'Heaven and Hell' is consistent with this. He writes on Page 154, "No other candidates were suggested, and Joe Walsh was given his greatest Christmas present on a plate - membership in the Eagles".
    If Henley was uncertain about Joe fitting into the band, then others may have been considered - and given that Felder himself has claimed repeatedly that "the gods" were making all the decisions, it's possible no candidates would be suggested to Felder & Meisner except their final choice.

Of course, this doesn't mean that the Talbots WERE seriously considered, just that it's possible. And, it's not necessarily surprising that we don't know about it.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border

The verse chords are basically the same (slightly different voicings here and there), one chord is different. But the songs are rather different. However, I think that Charlie Daniels Band really DID copy the Tull song: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooTmF4Ow1mE[/ame]

If Henley was uncertain about Joe fitting into the band, then others may have been considered - and given that Felder himself has claimed repeatedly that "the gods" were making all the decisions, it's possible no candidates would be suggested to Felder & Meisner except their final choice.

Of course, this doesn't mean that the Talbots WERE seriously considered, just that it's possible. And, it's not necessarily surprising that we don't know about it.
    I think if someone other than Joe was being considered, Felder & Meisner would have had some idea of it. Even if they weren't "consulted" about Bernie's replacement , I think they would have had some clue, & not been totally in the dark about it, especially Don Felder, who would be doing guitar jams with the new guy.

Maybe these guys had some discussion with Glenn or Don, but it was probably just talk, nothing more. I doubt there was any serious offer on the table..

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

EK, I have to agree with TK here. Of course, anything is possible, but we can speculate forever about the possibilities. Maybe all the guys were sitting around jamming and getting high one night and Glenn said "Hey man, you guys are awesome ... you should join the Eagles." Who knows what really went down?

However, there are several reasons why I don't believe it's probable that there were any serious offers made to these guys. Never once has their story been told or corroborated publicly by anyone else that any of us hardcore fans are aware of. In addition, Joe had been brought on to perform live with the band as early as October, 1975 (I believe those dates are correct, but I could be a little off there). And most importantly, as Soda said in her earlier post, why would Glenn make an offer to these guys when the direction that he wanted to take the band was completely opposite of the type of music these guys were performing? To me, that just doesn't make sense. JMHO

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I wouldn't think there was anything as far advanced as an offer being made. However, I do think Glenn and Don were probably observing all the musicians around them and commenting on their ability.

Possibly in some cases even considering who could fill in should someone be off sick etc - for example we know Jackson Browne filled in for Felder when his wife was having their first baby. (Do I remember JD Souther performing with them too?) Glenn & Don might have discussed who else could fill in if somebody left (and this could have been well before Bernie finally quit if there had been "disharmony" in the band).

With Joe's solo career they may have been unsure of his willingness or commitment to joining the Eagles.

But in terms of the timing of considering the Talbots - it would make more sense if it was well before Bernie left. That's not what the comment implied, though.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

JMHO, but I don' think that they would want two new members, both for musical & financial reasons.

Stuck on the Border

And as others have commented not a word has been said about this before. I had never even heard of these people.

GlennLover & Freypower; I agree with both of you. They wouldn't take on 2 people to replace Bernie, & I also never heard of them!
    I think this whole thing is something they just imagined when they were high...LOL

Just remember... all musicians are just repackaging the same 12 notes.
    Check out my Eagles tribute band online:

7 Bridges : The Ultimate EAGLES Experience