Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The great "Hotel California" debate.

Default The great "Hotel California" debate.

Yes it has been claimed for years that the Eagles HC ripped off Jethro Tulls "We used to know". The Eagles did tour with Tull and the first clip is the Tull song. The second is Ian Anderson from Tull talking about it but accepting it is a great song that the Eagles did albeit based on his music. Have a listen, it is very similar I have to say.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xny0Uj4--tk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMh0FS3rcnA&feature=related[/ame]

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: The great "Hotel California" debate.

Well - I've seen those clips before, and I'm glad that Ian Anderson acknowledges that Hotel California isn't plagiarized. I honestly don't hear that much similarity, but I know nothing about guitar chords. If there is any similarity in the chord sequence, I would think it is purely coincidental. Don Felder, who wrote the music to Hotel California, wasn't even a part of the band during the time that the Eagles opened for Jethro Tull.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Gotta agree with Dreamer... They have some slight similarity but in no was is it copying that song at all. I've gotten into some pretty heated arguments about it on YouTube (several people attacking my view) but I fully believe that it is in no way a copy and is just similar. As Dreamer said, Felder wasn't in the band when they toured with Tull.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I can hear the similarity. Maybe it was an unconscious thing - Felder heard it on the radio or something, and so something like it popped into his brain when he was fiddling around on the guitar.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I really don't see them as that similar. I think this has been exaggerated. If Anderson isn't bothered by this, why is anyone else??

Well, to be honest, I haven't even heard Jethro Tull's song until now, and was completely unaware about this debate.

As Ian Anderson states, the similarity is in the chord sequence, but as far as I'm concerned the similarity stops there. With all due respect, Jethro Tull's song goes on and on with the same structure, whereas "Hotel California" has verses and a chorus, and the chord sequence changes in the latter.

I actually got bored listening to this song - it isn't in the same league as "Hotel California", in my opinion.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border

There is a vague similarity in the verse & perhaps even more in the first guitar solo from 3.32 - 4.15 (when compared with the first guitar solo in HC after the lyrics have finished) but I hardly think it's worthy of concern.

"It's difficult to find a chord sequence that hasn't been used."
    Quite.

The song may very well have influenced Felder, just as many bands influenced the Eagles in many ways - their harmonies, their musical style, and there were many sources of inspiration for their lyrics, ranging from Shakespeare to ex-girlfriends.

The difference between plagiarism and inspiration - in my opinion - is:

1. does the new work substantially copy the prior work (in this case no, I personally don't think so - it's one chord sequence in the song, and it may even have been used before Jethro Tull given there just aren't that many chords or notes on a keyboard etc to create new music).
    2. Does the new work apply the original in a different way - yes, Anderson talks about a different time signature etc.
    3. Does the new work have a substantial portion of new, original material - hell yes, both musically and lyrically
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I play a bit of guitar and don't claim to be an authority but for my tuppence worth, similar guitar chord sequences can be seen in many different songs. Often when I hear a song if I strip out the notes and concentrate on just the chord sequence it can remind me of a totally sdifferent song. So to say that songs are plaigarised based purely on guitar chords doesn't really hold up. JMHO.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I never even heard that song by Jethro Tull. I doubt Felder copied it. It's not that similar.