Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shakespeare

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    I learned this morning that there is a rather large bell that will be used in some capacity for the Summer Olympics in London. Inscribed on the bell is something from Shakespeare -- maybe from the Tempest??? I'm not positive about the Play, but I'm positive there is an inscription. Check it out Ladies and let me know!!!

P.S.. This will probably be my one and only post on this "cerebral" thread. Jus sayin. . . . . .
    I don't get the impression that there is an inscription on the bell, just that the theme of the opening ceremon, Isle of Wonders, is inspired by The Tempest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...0UQ_story.html

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't get the impression that there is an inscription on the bell, just that the theme of the opening ceremon, Isle of Wonders, is inspired by The Tempest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...0UQ_story.html

They read the inscription and were pretty definitive about it, so yes, I'm pretty positive there's an inscription.

Stuck on the Border

Here you are HH. This is more specific.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...-ceremony.html

The line is spoken by Caliban in Act 3:

Be not afeard. The isle is full of noises,
    Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices
    That, if I then had waked after long sleep
    Will make me sleep again; and then in dreaming
    The clouds methought would open and show riches
    Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked
    I cried to dream again.
    Shakespeare - The Tempest, Act III

Thanks for the info, HH!

It's interesting that the inscription on the bell is a line from a speech by Caliban, a bitter beast and would-be rapist. The line itself sounds nice at first, but upon closer examination in its context you realize that Caliban's dream that he cries to return to is the one that promises him "riches" rather than the music of the island, which he admits one hears when awake as well as asleep. At least, that's my interpretation.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm getting ready to teach my independent study for Shakespeare by watching the BBC's Othello starring Anthony Hopkins because it's very true to the text. I don't think he's very convincing as the lead, though. It's impossible for me to get past the fact that he's sporting no more than a suntan and a curly wig to play The Moor. A major part of Othello's issues are his insecurities due to his blackness, and this attempt isn't cutting it. Poor casting can really sabotage a production. You would think the BBC would want to cast a black man in the role.

For those who haven't seen it, here's what I'm talking about:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pT_NAJZ9so[/ame]

Stuck on the Border

I enjoyed Hopkins in the role. Have you seen the Olivier version, Soda? His 'blackface' was severely criticised but I thought he was superb. The interpretation I would have loved to have seen was Paul Robeson.

I would have loved to have seen the Patrick Stewart stage version in 1997, where the races were flipped and he played Othello as the only white man instead of the only black man. Yes, I know it's not "true to text" but it was thought-provoking which IMHO justified the decision...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

FP - I appreciated the Olivier version as high-quality but it's not his best work, IMHO. I did prefer his Othello to Hopkins'. I will say this though - Hopkins did really commit to the role, at one point literally frothing to the mouth. It was scary!

It's not my favorite play anyway. Desdemona is so weak and pathetic. She doesn't even try to run away from Othello when he tells her to pray because he's getting ready to kill her! Instead, she says, "I hope you will not kill me..." Um. How about you scream for help?? This is also true later when she pleads for her life. Screaming and running would have been far more effective! While Shakespeare isn't known for his realism, he usually is better about convincing characterizations in his tragedies.

The worst part of all is that when she chokes out her last words to her maid who finally has come to help her because she heads the smothering taking place, Desdemona tells her to not blame Othello for her death. I know that it's supposed to show that she's an angel instead of a whore, but it's too much.

EK - that definitely would have been interesting. I love Patrick Stewart!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    FP - I appreciated the Olivier version as high-quality but it's not his best work, IMHO. I did prefer his Othello to Hopkins'. I will say this though - Hopkins did really commit to the role, at one point literally frothing to the mouth. It was scary!

It's not my favorite play anyway. Desdemona is so weak and pathetic. She doesn't even try to run away from Othello when he tells her to pray because he's getting ready to kill her! Instead, she says, "I hope you will not kill me..." Um. How about you scream for help?? This is also true later when she pleads for her life. Screaming and running would have been far more effective! While Shakespeare isn't known for his realism, he usually is better about convincing characterizations in his tragedies.

The worst part of all is that when she chokes out her last words to her maid who finally has come to help her because she heads the smothering taking place, Desdemona tells her to not blame Othello for her death. I know that it's supposed to show that she's an angel instead of a whore, but it's too much.

EK - that definitely would have been interesting. I love Patrick Stewart!
    You're like my mother; Othello is her least favourite play too. Desdemona is the classic 'victim' though. It's so incredibly sad & unnecessary, it's pitiful ('the pity of it, Iago'!) rather than tragic, really, but there is still some great language in it. I think that in reality Othello would have seen what Iago was up to from the start, but I suppose the jealousy & insecurity which amounts to his 'tragic flaw' prevents that.

I have been reading "Classics" lately... my friends think I'm crazy... maybe I am but I would love to read some Shakespeare... any suggestions where to start?