Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: your 10 most favorite Eagles guitar solos

Default Re: your 10 most favorite Eagles guitar solos

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Am I really the only person who thinks Joe's playing in LROOE is some of his best ever? I know most people don't love the song as much as I do but I thought they'd at least be impressed by the guitar work.

The three Get Over It solos should probably have been on my list instead of Try & Love Again.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I liked the song, but when that blistering solo kicked in, it stopped me in my tracks. One of Joe's best Eagles solos ever, IMO.

On all the videos of I Can't Tell You Why, Don Felder is playing the guitar solos, and Glenn is on piano. Not sure why Glenn is credited for the solo on this song.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

TK - Glenn plays the solo on the recorded studio version of I Can't Tell You Why. Felder always played it live because, as you said, Glenn plays piano. Steuart plays the part now.

And as far as that blistering guitar solo in Long Road Out of Eden, I would agree that it is fantastic. I guess I didn't include it in my list because for some reason, it just doesn't grab me as much as some of these others do.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Guys, you gotta understand something about these videos. They are not reflective of the studio because in the studio, there are overdubs and the like. People can play two instruments at once, which they can't do in a video; plus, a video typically features every member of the band, whether or not they played a major role in the original instrumentation.

For instance, whether or not Joe Walsh played the original guitar solo for "How Long" on the album, he's sure as heck going to be featured playing it in the video. Even if Steuart Smith played it originally, they're not going to show Smith playing it while Walsh sits in the back twiddling his thumbs. Same for Henley on drums.

This is true even if the video is of a live performance. Just because a person plays it live doesn't mean he must have played it for the album. Logistically, it might be easier/look better for Felder or Walsh to play something live even if they didn't play it on the album... especially if the guy who originally played it is no longer in the band. Now that Felder's gone, for example, Walsh may be covering a solo he originated (or, more likely, Smith is doing it).

Go by the liner note credits, folks. The guys have a vested interest in making sure those are accurate.

And if you ask me, it's very telling that there are not specific liner note credits for Long Road Out of Eden....

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Guys, you gotta understand something about these videos. They are not reflective of the studio because in the studio, there are overdubs and the like. People can play two instruments at once, which they can't do in a video; plus, a video typically features every member of the band, whether or not they played a major role in the original instrumentation.

And if you ask me, it's very telling that there not specific liner note credits for Long Road Out of Eden....

That's exactly why I only listed the solos and not the person playing. Some of the versions I like the best are the live ones and chances are, they're not being played by the person who wrote them. Also, in a lot of cases, I don't know who's playing which part. With 3 guitar players, sometimes it's hard to tell if you don't know their styles intimately.

And don't even get me started on the lack of liner notes on LROOE! I love seeing who's playing what and I really miss that on this album. Also, with all the hired help, I can't help but hear in my head, "ignore that man behind the curtain." It's a little disconcerting.

I remember an older interview with Don Henley from the 80s where he said that in the 70s, the Eagles would tailor the music to highlight the strengths of the band members. He contrasted that with being a solo artist by saying that it was quite freeing to be able to hire anyone he wants to play anything he wants and get any sound he wants.

He also said he doesn't really enjoy drumming all that much and is glad to hand off the duties to a talented session musician for his solo albums.

Once the Eagles got back together, he might have been reluctant to return to the old "less freeing" format after becoming accustomed to the other way of doing things.

In light of that, how many of the drum parts on Long Road Out of Eden were played by Henley in the studio? I don't know, but I would speculate very few. While that's not a very romantic notion - we like to think of our guys doing it all - the music is good, and that's what's most important to me.

TK -
    Glenn plays the solo on the recorded studio version of I Can't Tell You Why. Felder always played it live because, as you said, Glenn plays piano. Steuart plays the part now
    .Yes, so if this was Glenn's solo, when Felder left the band, the solo went to Steuart, why not Glenn? They have a piano player who can do the piano part.
    Frey / Henley give as little credit to Felder as possible. Felder plays the solo on the Hell Freezes Over version, & always did it live. Never saw Frey do it.

You probably are also a big fan of those great singers Milli Vanilli, eh?

Why has nobody listed the great guitar solo's on Turn to Stone. That was some amazing guitar playing by Walsh & Felder. I don't have the original LP, so I have no idea who played it on the album, or who is listed in the liner notes, but the live version sure rocks with Walsh & Felder!

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Why has nobody listed the great guitar solo's on Turn to Stone. That was some amazing guitar playing by Walsh & Felder. I don't have the original LP, so I have no idea who played it on the album, or who is listed in the liner notes, but the live version sure rocks with Walsh & Felder!
    Agreed. That song is amazing. I would have included it, but I was considering Turn to Stone primarily a solo Walsh song as done by the Eagles because it never appeared on a recorded Eagles album. It would have been in my Top 10 otherwise.