Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the first CD you ever bought?

Stuck on the Border

That's funny because Elton's Greatest Hits with the piano & white suit was the first album I bought.

I used to have a list, in order, of all the dates I bought my records & CDs, which is how I was able to look up the first ones (I'm coming up to the 30th anniversary of buying the HC album on February 3, 1977). So I could go back & tell you what I bought, when. I won't.

I look at the list for 1987 and see that I bought a lot of CDs including a lot of classical stuff. All the Beatles CDs were released that year so that's when I bought those.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I used to have a list, in order, of all the dates I bought my records & CDs, which is how I was able to look up the first ones (I'm coming up to the 30th anniversary of buying the HC album on February 3, 1977). So I could go back & tell you what I bought, when. I won't.
    I think I can beat that! I used to keep a notebook with all the music I heard on the radio, mainly classical. Even now, I can still 'name that tune' after the first couple of bars!
    Eagles GH was the first rock album I ever bought, back in 1978!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Wow
    It reminds me of a friend who bought his first 50 CD's before he had a CD player. During our relationship his collection has grown to about 5000 And that was in the 90s. I don't know how many CD he owns today.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I really can't remember what cd I bought first, but I do remember thinking that I thought they would never take the place of cassettes or records! My kids just shook their heads. Then I finally bought a new car with a cd player. I had to borrow some cds from them to play in it! Then they started downloading music from the internet and they made me some compilations. My daughter cleaned out her cd collection and gave me Don's EOTI cd. (She still doesn't know what she's missing, poor girl!) I finally joined a record club to start my collection when we bought a new stereo system with, guess what, a cd player! This was probably just 3-4 years ago. I do know that GH1 was one of the 10 freebies that I got for joining.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I've got no idea what the first CD I bought was....with my own money. The oldest CDs in my collection were all birthday/Christmas presents and are all along the lines of Backstreet Boys/Boyzone etc (I can freely admit to that). I guess it could have been something like Holst: The Planets or The Monkees Greatest Hits as they are the next oldest I have which I know I bought at some point.

I do know what the first record I bought was...Paul McCartney: Give My Regards to Broad Street...I was about 11.

TL, I love The Planets by Holst. It took a few years to wean hubby off punk music to the sort of music that I like. Now he enjoys classical, classic rock and a lot of contemporary music.
    (As for the Monkees, in the 60's I had a bit of a thing for Davy Jones!)

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I love The Planets as well, luckily my boyfriend likes an awful lot of music and I've even got him liking Jackson Browne and some James Gang stuff...though somehow I don't think he'll ever really like the Eagles...I can keep trying though

Stuck on the Border

The Planets is one of my favourite classical pieces, in particular Jupiter, the main theme of which is referred to as The True Believers by members of the Australian Labor Party (such as myself ) and is also known in the UK as the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country, which was played at Charles & Diana's wedding.

My other favourite classical music for what it's worth includes Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky & I am especially fond of Dvorak's New World Symphony and Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez.

When MTV played reruns of the Monkees regularly on their network in 1985, I got a crush on Micky Dolenz. In fact, it was my first crush ever (I was 10). I like older men.

I only bought two LPs before they started to go out of style. The first was Corey Hart, because my favorite song at the time was his "Never Surrender." The second was Chicago 17. And then it was cassette time!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    The Planets is one of my favourite classical pieces, in particular Jupiter, the main theme of which is referred to as The True Believers by members of the Australian Labor Party (such as myself ) and is also known in the UK as the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country, which was played at Charles & Diana's wedding.

My other favourite classical music for what it's worth includes Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky & I am especially fond of Dvorak's New World Symphony and Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez.
    Great choices. In addition to these, I love Vivaldi's violin concertos, especially the ones in Opus 3. I took violin lessons from the ages of 11-18, and I always wished I could play those!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten