Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

When I was building the sites, I bought tons of old magazines off Ebay so I could scan in their photos. I love my collection, although after a while I had to stop!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I grew up in a rural place, nearest town population 700... very "Free Will Baptist Bible belt" area. I had subscriptions to all of the aforementioned mags. On one particular instance the mags arrived and Gene Simmons' blood-covered tongue wagging was gracing the cover of one of them. As I began to thumb through the pages, a slip of paper fell into my lap. It was a type-written note that read something along the lines of "These are the devils' bibles. You will burn in hell if you continue to read them."

Hell hath seen no fury like that of my mother's that day. Being a British citizen, she was already ostracized by the locals (including my dad's family) because she was a 'foreigner'. And, it's not that she wasn't religious, but she definitely didn't adhere to the almost cult-like teachings that seemed to be the norm. In the end, the mailman was fired, turns out he and his wife had placed it there because "that's what God wanted them to do." I believe they faced a charge or two for tampering with the mail (this was before the days of shrink wrap packaging for mags. Her biggest concern was that supposedly good "Christian" people would subject an innocent child to that kind of religious badgering. It was a little over the top, to say the least.

That was way off topic, but every time I see those magazines named, that incident springs to mind.

And to my previous postmaster: I turned out just fine!

My mind is Tiffany twisted

love the article... I wonder how much of it was true, and Lizzy I love your story too!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    When I was building the sites, I bought tons of old magazines off Ebay so I could scan in their photos. I love my collection, although after a while I had to stop!
    Oh wow! What I wouldn't give to spend an afternoon with your collection. Internet articles are nice, but they disappear so quickly. There's nothing like print and paper, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    Oh wow! What I wouldn't give to spend an afternoon with your collection. Internet articles are nice, but they disappear so quickly. There's nothing like print and paper, IMO.
    That certainly would be a great way to spend an afternoon (or longer)! I have just started to save some of the Eagles articles that are posted online. I wish that I had started doing that a long time ago!
    Last edited by GlennLover; 03-29-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: corrections

When looking around for information about the Eagles and Jerry Brown, I found this very interesting article from The Feb. 11, 1980 edition of New York Magazine:

"Squeezing Money Out of Rock" by Maureen Orth

Sounds like Jerry didn't get the rock star treatment he was hoping for. Admittedly, the Eagles don't come off that great either!

Really interesting read, thanks for finding that.
    ~Sara

Stuck on the Border

I came across this in a 1974 interview with a bassist called Arnie Moore who was another of the Troubador crowd:
    The outlaw image always appealed to me. That's why the Eagles get me off so much because........that Glen Frey, he's just a punk, a Detroit punk, beautiful cat!
    You know him, then?
    They're good friends of mine. You see, all those people that hang around Los Angeles ........the Troubador is the centre of that thing in Los Angeles. All of us hung out there. Jackson Brown, Linda Ronstadt, J.D.Souther. I've known Jackson since he was 17 or 18. J.D.Souther has got a new group happening with Richie Furay, and Jim Gordon gonna be playing drums, and Al Perkins. Chris Hillman ripped off the rest of Manassas from Steve Stills. Sounds like it's-gonna be incredible. They've got the tracks done on the album, and they're hoping to start rehearsals in a month or so. All these people, the Eagles, Glen Frey especially, and Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner. That reminds me of the very first time I saw Poco perform. I don't know what year it was. They didn't have a record contract, but somebody had put in a lot of money because Richie Furay could put it together because of the Buffalo Springfield. They rehearsed for months out in Topanga Canyon, and I walk in the Troubador one night and there are all these record people there, so I think something is going to happen. You see, Monday night there is hoot night. You can sign up and perform, and between 10 and 11 o'clock is the prime spot, and record companies will bring their debut artists in and people that want to audition for somebody get that spot. So I go in there and there are the original Poco, with Randy Meisner on bass. They came out there and did five songs, I can't remember which, and blew the place apart. Nobody could believe it! Nobody had ever seen Randy Miesner before. He'd done little things around town, but nobody was really aware of him. He'd been in other little groups and things. The Poor, they'd come out of Colorado, or wherever it was they'd gotten together. Came out to L.A. to make it big and didn't. Randy got found by Richie and in to Poco. Rusty Young, he's a nice cat as well. The Troubador is the centre of all that, the hang out place where we all go if we're lonely, or want to go out for a beer or meet some friends. A year before the Eagles formed, before anybody heard about it, Glen Frey asked me to come over and play rock and roll with him. I was always on the road, just like I am now, and I never got time to go over and play with Glen Frey! Had time to go over and hear them rehearse after they got together, but I can't sing like Randy Meisner, I wish I could. I love high harmonies.
    Pete Frame has done a fine family tree of the Eagles.
    I've got that on my wall. Cort Casady laid that on me. I've got it in my water closet. My water closet is the center of all my culture, any memorabilia. As you can imagine, it's a tiny, little room, all it has is just the john in it. I've got posters, and over the posters collage or montage over everything. Walls, ceiling, over the toiletseat, memorabilia from all the tours I've done. I've got reviews and photographs. I take pictures wherever I go, and I've got photos from all the different tours. People walk in.......... I knew one chick that was a fan of both John and Hoyt, she went to the bathroom and stayed there an hour'!
    Anything more on all these L.A. musicians?
    Jackson Browne I've known since 1967. He grew up in Orange County in Southern California. He was writing incredible, far out songs when he was 14. When I met him he was probably 18 or 19, younger than that even. Saw him play and I was just knocked out by him. I knew it would happen for him, and now it has, and he's getting better, so he's very special.
    Linda Ronstadt?
    Same thing. Troubador. After seeing each other around for a long time, we finally meet each other and are very friendly. We go to the same health club together and work out. She's a very sweet girl and has a hard time keeping a band. I don't know, really, what to say about her. Nothing but good!

http://bitemyfoot.org.uk/omaha/or4/or4_05.html

Thanks for posting this! I hadn't see it before.

Stuck on the Border

I looked up "beautiful cat" in a slang dictionary and found a match:

"someone who gives off a lot of love to the point of romance, you really want to be around them; usually directed at jazz musicians"