Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: I Highly Recommend It!

Default Re: I Highly Recommend It!

I like the tablet because I can watch videos, read books, mags in bed without moving my laptop. I don't find watching video on the smart phone too great. It's just too small to enjoy & it's not a reader.
    I mostly use the smartphone to text, take pictures, but I don't usually read my Email on it.
    Do you Need it? Well, that's what I thought that I don't need it, but once I got it... I really love it. The 7" size is big enough to enjoy video & small enough to take everywhere.
    If you have wi-fi & your friends have it at their houses you can use theirs & it's private. The one we have at work is also private.
    If wi-fi is not easily available to you, then maybe reconsider, but I like it better than the smartphone for viewing

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Maybe we should approach this from another angle! What are thinking you want to do with one? When you're out somewhere, where would you be and what would you be doing on it? Each person is different. Even with a smartphone, if you don't have unlimited data, you still need to try to connect up to wifi when you can.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Maybe we should approach this from another angle! What are thinking you want to do with one? When you're out somewhere, where would you be and what would you be doing on it? Each person is different. Even with a smartphone, if you don't have unlimited data, you still need to try to connect up to wifi when you can.
    That's how I approached it when I decided to get a tablet. I have a laptop but it's 17", heavy as hell and 5 years old. The tablet can get thrown in my purse and does the majority of what my laptop does. I mostly use my laptop for downloading/storage and the tablet for email/games. I have an older smartphone so if I have the tablet with me and there's wifi, I'll use the faster tablet.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I have the iPad 2 for the last 18 months and to be honest I wouldn't be without it. It is so vesatile and so easy to carry around with me. I got the 3G and wireless one with 64GB of storage and I just love it! Its like having an extra sense!

I travel a reasonable amount too and it is so easy to bring along rather than a cumbersome and heavier laptop or netbook!

Love the apps too! My latest 'fad' is 'Scrabble'!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Well, see, the thing is, I have no idea what I would do with it! I guess I thought it would be just a fun, extra thing to have! It would be nice to watch tv and surf the web at the same time, I think! I could take it with me easily. I guess I don't know until I get it! Does that make sense?

(laughing at myself!)
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Makes sense to me! You just need to be careful. I wasn't sure I needed a smartphone and then I got one and now I'm completely dependent on it! It's easy to get addicted!

I'm not sure the difference in costs, I haven't looked them up in quite a while, but just because you get a tablet with 3G capability doesn't mean you need to use it. You could get one, not get a data package, use it and see. It that costs too much extra, then perhaps not.
    VK

Brooke, I am not very savvy when it comes to computers, but I do use them almost constantly! I do not have access to the web on my computer at work, so a few months ago I got a smart phone to 'peek in' here, FB and some of my other favorite sites during down times at work. To me, it's like having a full set of encyclopedias at my fingertips! Any thoughts or questions that come up while I'm at work or out with friends or family can easily be answered by pulling out my trusty smartphone! I have wifi at home but purchased a data plan so that I'm never without the www!

Then Hubby decided we should get get iPads because his laptop was not functioning as quickly as he liked. Why two? Because he was afraid we would fight over one! We both love our iPads. Honestly, even though the TV is on during the evening, we both grab our iPads and spend the evening on them. I thought I was satisfied with my laptop, but the iPad is so light and portable! I've not taken it anywhere yet, but it will be wonderful to travel with. I don't plan to get a data plan for the iPad. If I need access to the web when I'm out I'll use my smartphone.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok, so the more I hear, the more confused I get!

If I get a tablet, I have to have wi-fi and a data plan? If I have access to the internet through wi-fi, why do I need a data plan?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Brooke, You don't need a data plan if you have access to wi-fi. I don't have a data plan & I don't want one. With that you have to pay for every minute you use the net unless you have unlimited service plan, which isn't so cheap & if you don't have a smart phone you don't need it.
    I use Wi-Fi only. I have it at home & at work, so I don't need a data plan.
    The tablet is also good as a reader, which you can use without using the internet.

To approach it from, what would I be doing with it? Well, you don't really know that until you have one. I didn't think I would use it much, but it's like having a mini computer with you & easily portable

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Ok, so the more I hear, the more confused I get!

If I get a tablet, I have to have wi-fi and a data plan? If I have access to the internet through wi-fi, why do I need a data plan?
    You can use any tablet on a wifi that you have access to, and unless you're in most airports, it's usually free (for the record, Dulles is free, Houston costs a lot). You can only use a data plan if you buy a 3G capable tablet. That's what I was saying, one option is to get one that is capable of 3G, but don't get a plan til you see if you need it, assuming a 3G one is only marginally more expensive than a wifi-only one.

I live in a small town and there's only two places in town that have wifi, which is why I asked you what you thought you might use it for and to check around and see if the places you go have wifi. Like PM said, just using it at the office and at home is more convenient than using a laptop and much faster.
    VK