Thread: After the Thrill Is Gone

Default After the Thrill Is Gone

This to me has always been a gem of a song. I love the way Glenn and Don shared the lead Vocals on it and the acoustic guitars sound amazing. I know they Performed at the Long Beach show, Is that the only time they ever performed it live?

Border Troubadour

Default Re: After the Thrill Is Gone

I too love ATTIG, more for its lyrical content than anything else though. The 'What can you do when your dreams come true ...' and 'Half the distance takes you twice as long ...' lines are two of the best the Eagles ever composed.

Yes, it was only ever performed live once, on 31 July 1980. You don't need a degree to work out why

Edit - I think it wasn't performed at the other two nights at Long Beach, though I cannot be sure. Either way, the sentiment for its inclusion still stands!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree and love this song. Such a great story song and love the switching of the lead vocals between Glenn and Don too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I too love ATTIG, more for its lyrical content than anything else though. The 'What can you do when your dreams come true ...' and 'Half the distance takes you twice as long ...' lines are two of the best the Eagles ever composed.

Yes, it was only ever performed live once, on 31 July 1980. You don't need a degree to work out why

Edit - I think it wasn't performed at the other two nights at Long Beach, though I cannot be sure. Either way, the sentiment for its inclusion still stands!

I've Since found out it was performed on the 29th a great version too!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesfanmanchester View Post
    I've Since found out it was performed on the 29th a great version too!
    OMG eaglesfanmanchester thank you I searched for the one on the 29th July and found it! I always naturally assumed it was just the one time, glenn makes a comment about that on the Long Beach version but this version is clearer

This is like christmas come early for me its my favourite song, to find another rendition is so great. i usually play and sing this on acoustic guitar eery few days when I get the chance.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree that ATTIG is an excellent song. It is probably the single most underrated song in the band's entire catalog, IMO. It is perfect in every way and although I love every line of the song, my favorite is 'you don't care about winning, but you don't want to lose' - what a thought-provoking line!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

I agree that it's underrated, and it's one of my favorites. I love everything -- the lyrics, the switching lead vocals and the harmonies. Glenn and Don are so awesome together. LOVE it!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I agree that it's underrated, and it's one of my favorites. I love everything -- the lyrics, the switching lead vocals and the harmonies. Glenn and Don are so awesome together. LOVE it!
    Me too, I have always loved the song. I love the switching of lead vocals and agree that it is greatly underrated.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

One of my faves, too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten