Thread: The View From Behind

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Cool The View From Behind

I've been asked by a couple of people on this forum to discuss some of the things I recall from my time (1971-1976) working as a roadie and technician for this band.

A caveat: I was not privy (nor did I wish to be) to the inner workings or thoughts or emotions of the members of The Eagles; I was an employee and worked on tours, and occasionally assisted on studio dates. Although I spent considerable time with the principals, I'm not qualified to comment on personal issues relative to them.

Well, the view you get from backstage is of… butts. I've grown so used to this over 40-plus years of working for groups and concert promoters that I feel uneasy being out in the audience, seeing the faces of the performers.

I got into all this because I got really tired of waiting in line at concerts for food, sodas, using the restrooms, etc. This all came to a head at (as I recall) a Moody Blues show at Hollywood Bowl. I was all of 17, but I knew that standing in line for mundane stuff line taking a leak was not something I wanted to repeat every time I went to a show.

And I saw a LOT of shows. Remember, this was L.A. in the late 60s and early 70s; great musicians playing all over town, in big venues and small. You'd have to be careful walking down Sunset Blvd lest you be struck down by a random Flying V or Dan Armstrong lucite bass.

The week after the Hollywood Bowl date, I drove down to the offices of L.A.'s most prominent music promoters - I think it was Avalon Attractions in those days - and presented myself as a seasoned, albeit young, stagehand. Sure, sure - done lots of shows, know my way around amps and gear and…

Well, they bought it, possibly because I had a good line of BS, but more likely because at that time being a band road crew member was hardly a glamorous job, and because it paid about $25 for each date, which covered maybe 12 hours of hard, physical work. Guys (all men back in the day) would work a couple of shows, realize they were working for about two bucks an hour, and quit to do something more profitable, like dealing dope.

But I stayed on. I really liked live music, and here was a way to see it (mostly backwards, but, hey…) without having to stand in line for every little thing. And, to be honest, the perks - mostly good, potent weed and friendly banter from outrageously beautiful Angelino women - were hard to turn down.

OK, enough for now. We'll return with Part 2 (maybe) if anyone finds this interesting...
    Last edited by peneumbra; 12-30-2017 at 11:02 PM.