Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Movies of the Eagles?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Favorite Movies of the Eagles?

I do have an anecdote about Glenn & movies. Before he sang Here's To Life in LA in 2012 he described the song as being epic, like a David Lean film. I completely understood what he meant. That man directed such masterpieces as Great Expectations, Bridge On The River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago & of course, Lawrence Of Arabia. I thought it was a perfect description.

I also have to say that while I'm not familiar with Don Henley's taste in films, I am sure he would enjoy them like anyone else. I did know the Last Picture Show reference from the 1979 Rolling Stone cover story. He said Linden was like that film. All you could do was dream (NB I've never seen it).

Banned

Thanks for sharing the anecdote Freypower, I agree with Glenn too.

In Henley's reminiscences about growing up in Linden, he shows he's not such a highbrow film fan ....

Henley.... has bought the land the old movie theatre used to stand on. He remembers walking to the theatre to see the horror movie, "The Blob." "And then I had to walk home!" he laughed.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/don-henl...o-his-roots/2/

He may not be a fan of the movie but if he's mentioning it over 50 years later, it must have made a lasting impression on him

Trailer - The Blob (195
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUsyXQ8Wrs

Stuck on the Border

I wasn't totally serious about Don Henley thinking movies are too frivilous. I don't think he likes the movie business much - or at least he didn't when dating an actress

I looked out that 1986 interview with Glenn and he said "I'm an easy guy to please when it comes to movies". He said he liked movies for entertainment but sometimes he liked movies that made him think. He named "Terms of Endearment" and "The Elephant Man". Jack Nicholson was a favourite.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I find this fascinating in general as I love movies and took a screenwriting class myself, and seeing what other people's favorite films are. I have a feeling Glenn probably liked "Caddyshack" just purely on it being a golf comedy and how popular it still is (it's one of my favorites too as well as a favorite of many I know). I'm sure Don has his favorite movies too and I agree about them probably being more serious, and makes me wonder if he's also like how I get out some book adaptations as usually the book is always better.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I knew there was a "Sunset Boulevard" reference somewhere! I found this quote by Don H from an article that no doubt has been posted somewhere here already. Referring to ex-girlfriend, Loree Rodkin, he said:

As far as I'm concerned, she's the Norma Desmond of her generation.
    http://teamrock.com/feature/2006-12-...lly-of-America

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Don was impressed by this classic movie about self-delusion, lost youth and sham facades in Hollywood (and "The Blob" is something of a cult horror film classic).

JCL, James Dean's character in "Giant" starts out as a brash young wildcatter; he ages over the course of the movie.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...