Thread: Author Misses Point of Hotel California...what do you think?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Author Misses Point of Hotel California...what do you think?

I ran across this article in another, non-Eagle forum this morning:

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...#disqus_thread

I believe the author gets the meaning of this song wrong. What do you other Eagles fans think?

Default Re: Author Misses Point of Hotel California...what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by NoNottheFootballTeam View Post
    I ran across this article in another, non-Eagle forum this morning:

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...#disqus_thread

I believe the author gets the meaning of this song wrong. What do you other Eagles fans think?
    I think some of what he says is right about what they are criticizing is correct but his conclusions are definitely wrong. The band was made up of some fairly strong liberals. I assume the writer was a conservative and was making some conservative points that I don’t think the band would necessarily agree with

I agree with you. In Henley's own words, it's a song about the under belly of the American dream.

I formulated my question incorrectly and should have asked (as you pointed out) if the author's conclusions were correct.

Thanks for your input.

Stuck on the Border

Hotel California is really a conservative song. It paints a picture of a society run amok with hyper-individualism and selfishness that is the end result of a secular (i.e., godless) consumer culture that's rejected the spiritual and conservative values of restraint, tradition, and obligation.

Interesting. I though hyper-indvidualism was beloved by conservatives. I also don't think that restraint, tradtion & obligation are the sole virtue of conservatives.

People might remember the yuppies iin the 80s in the UK, with their lavish lifestyles & excessive spending. Most of those people voted Conservative (for Margaret Thatcher). It is true that was after HC was written.

However I would rather not get into a political discussion. I am not touching the 'godless' stuff.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-28-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Hotel California is really a conservative song. It paints a picture of a society run amok with hyper-individualism and selfishness that is the end result of a secular (i.e., godless) consumer culture that's rejected the spiritual and conservative values of restraint, tradition, and obligation.

Interesting. I though hyper-indvidualism was beloved by conservatives. I also don't think that restraint, tradtion & obligation are the sole virtue of conservatives.

People might remember the yuppies iin the 80s in the UK, with their lavish lifestyles & excessive spending. Most of those people voted Conservative (for Margaret Thatcher).

However I would rather not get into a political discussion. I am not touching the 'godless' stuff.
    Well I think it just boils down to certain people being conservative for different reasons I guess.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Well I think it just boils down to certain people being conservative for different reasons I guess.

My objection was that the writer, as a presumed conservative, was attributing what he considers the weaknesses in society which the song portrays entirely to 'liberals'. It is a sweeping judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    My objection was that the writer, as a presumed conservative, was attributing what he considers the weaknesses in society which the song portrays entirely to 'liberals'. It is a sweeping judgment.
    On that part you’re right. I was just talking about your comment about the yuppies. But this writer is definitely too broad and makes some strong assumptions