Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

Haha, there it is! Thanks UtW!

How could I have forgotten? And it looks amazing on him!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I've seen that pic a thousand times and can honestly say I've never noticed the belt!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Besides the belt, that's the most patches I've ever seen on a pair of jeans!

I do love Bernie's har!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I've seen that pic a thousand times and can honestly say I've never noticed the belt!
    Me either!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Emphasis mine in the following, as usual. This is an interesting dynamic I hadn't heard before - from context it sounds like Felder and Bernie were just as antagonistic as Glenn (unless you think the second Don is Henley, which I really doubt, because I can't see Henley threatening Bernie with a fistfight he knows he'd lose - no offense to him, but look at Bernie in 1975, he could've kicked all of their a$$es):
    "Leadon and Felder had more than a few arguments and tension became almost unbearable. Frey usually managed to turn that energy into a rationalization. 'We fight with our manager. We fight with each other. Don and Bernie nearly had a fistfight the other day. We fight about everything: playing too loud, facial expressions, drinkin' too much, stayin' up too late, talking in a restaurant. Not saying anything when you shoulda spoke up. The issue is not the important thing. The important thing is that it gets vented. When you're working with a band, when you're working with a producer, with managers, with a whole lot of other people, it's all a romantic relationship. When the band don't get off, the band fights. It's gonna be released some way. It's creative tension.'"
    So Glenn felt it was important to "vent." Was this part of why he was often the one confronting people?

Also, it's interesting how Glenn veers from speaking in a very educated manner to slang in a really inconsistent way you don't see with the other guys in his various quotes. Read one and he sounds like a eloquent philosopher, read another one and he sounds like the typical 70s rock star whose metaphors rarely extend beyond comparisons to sex. Compare this to his "age of chaos" quote. He had a real duality going on and I wonder if he wasn't deliberately trying to play up the "cool 70s" guy and tone down the other side of him for image purposes - perhaps falling into the trap he had talked about earlier in choosing how to represent yourself, "sincerely or insincerely" - but in speech rather than in dress. Or perhaps it just depended on how many substances he had abused before the interview. Who knows.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Hmm, Felder writes about Bernie being argumentative and being used to having to fight for his place, as one of ten children, but paints himself as the peacemaker. However, musically they would have been on different sides.

Isn't there a quote somewhere about Glenn being good at street talk? I can see he might have needed that duality growing up, being the bright kid from the wrong side of town.

ETA: In case you hadn't noticed, I'm enjoying these quotes and the discussion. I know we keep going off track, but that's part of the fun.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 06-24-2015 at 03:32 PM.

I don't know, Soda, I can understand the dual persona when it comes to speaking. I have no doubts that Glenn wanted to evoke a cool image, but it could be more than that. I grew up in the Appalachian Mountains of Southwestern PA where redneck is more than a way of life, it's a language. Cross that with the Pittsburgh area an hour or so away where 'Yinz' instead of 'you' (plural) is standard. Then I moved to Northern Virginia (y'all, which is singular and all y'all, which is plural). I now live in Kentucky. Yet because I'm a mid-career professional, I'm expected to speak perfect (American) English. Because of this, I tend to speak the language of those I'm with.

I'm enjoying this as well. I just try to keep myself from believing the things I want to believe, because some of it has been incorrect, and that makes it all suspect.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 06-24-2015 at 05:33 PM.
    VK

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm enjoying reading the quotes and this thread as well, though I might have taken it off topic (sorry).

As for the dual persona, I have(or had) one myself. Being born and raised in Georgia, I obviously have a southern accent. (Heck, it even shines through on the Internet at times with my use of the words "figured , reckon, fixin to" etc). Now, around friends and family, I don't care if I sound like Ernest T. Bass from the Andy Griffith show. However, when I was at school, I tried to tone it down some (I can't turn it off completely "morning" will always sound like a cross between moaning and mourning and ya'll will always be said (note the placement of the apostrophe..It's done on purpose because that's how I was taught to spell it). When I was in "class", spending 40 hours just sitting in the room, working toward my GED, I tried to be as plain spoken as possible. I know that a heavy southern accent makes someone want to knock off 50 IQ points from ya.
    Another thing, I went to the all black local public school, which was a totally different world than my home life. Over the 10 years of going there, I learned how to speak "black" to fit in and not be too much on an outcast. I learned the slang and the pronunciation of certain words fairly quickly (ex: scraight, not straight). I still say "a'ight" often because its one of my favorites. I was one of the few "nerds", but I tried to be a cool nerd(if such a thing exists), and for the most part, I succeeded. Luckily, it was a small school, and everyone got along well enough to not cause any big trouble.

I believe that Glenn probably did the dual persona to fit it and be cool.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I understand about the speech thing. Unless I'm in Texas, I minimize my Texas accent a great deal; most people have no clue where I grew up because I just pronounce everything "properly". My accent only thickens in times of extreme agitation or drunkenness, and I'm not in either condition very often.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I'm enjoying this as well. I just try to keep myself from believing the things I want to believe, because some of it has been incorrect, and that makes it all suspect.
    Well, I've been pretty much keeping it to direct quotes from the guys with a little context, so unless you think they were misquoted... although of course the guys might not quite be telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

This quote from Glenn in 1975 is a bit enigmatic, but perhaps I'm missing something:
    "My feeling is that Los Angeles is the Rome of North America, during the chaos. And if there's going to be any fall of the dynasty, I'd like to see it from L.A. because I think L.A. will feel it first."
    This one is a bit more down-to-earth:
    "There are days when I drive to the office, drink a cup of coffee for an hour, check the mail, watch Irving Azoff kill on the phone, get existential anxiety, go to the Cock'n'Bull to eat, drive to the dry cleaners, drive back up to the house, look out at the view and wonder what's gonna get me up to do what I wanna do. That's the whole premise of 'After the Thrill is Gone.' Where is the next stimulation?"

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Well, I've been pretty much keeping it to direct quotes from the guys with a little context, so unless you think they were misquoted... although of course the guys might not quite be telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
    This is good to know! I wasn't sure what were quotes from the guys or just from the book.

I like that last quote from Glenn, and I imagine it's something all artists struggle with at least occasionally. Authors wonder where the next novel will come from. Painters wonder about the next painting. It's not something I can come close to relating to, since my inbox is always bigger than my outbox. My creative impulses come through cooking and crafts, and because I never have any time, I always have ideas stored up. A lot of artists can't imagine a 9-5 job, but I can't imagine getting up in the morning and trying to find the elusive idea that I could turn into my next paycheck.
    VK