Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Eagles Lyrics - Favorite One-Liners (or Two)

Border Rebel

Default Re: Eagles Lyrics - Favorite One-Liners (or Two)

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I thought that your post was meant to be sarcastic and funny, Jonny. Chug All Night better than TIE?

I do think that a thread of the worst Eagles lyrics would be fun.
    That's what I thought, too. I mean, to each his own, but to call "I do believe we can chug all night, I do believe we can hug all night" great lyrics? LOLOL!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I would start it but I don't know how much interest it would generate. I would also like to start a thread for favourite non-Eagles lyrics but am reluctant to do so for the same reason. It seems at the moment I wish to write much more about other artists than the Eagles themselves mainly because I find I don't have much left to say about the Eagles. It's a dilemma. I don't like threads in which only a couple of people participate.

*Lyin' Eyes has just started playing.
    I think that a favorite non- Eagles lyrics thread would be cool. We all have other bands/artists that we love. I imagine that a thread like that would be popular and diverse.

As for the worst Eagles lyrics, I mainly meant that as a sort of joke. Most of the Eagles lyrics are good. There aren't many duds. Chug All Night being an exception.

ETA: as for a bad lyrics in general thread, I'm in between. I'm sure that we'd all get some laughs, though!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

"Sometimes I believe in love/sometimes I doubt it." You Never Cry Like a Lover

Pithy or what?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - I'll continue with more of my favorites from the first album:

Most of Us Are Sad – Love the beautiful imagery of "tell me scarlet sun; I will sing you far away".

Nightingale – "It's just the same old murder movie, But they call it the news" gives us some early insight into how they all perceived the media. This clever little line is Jackson Browne's kindler, gentler approach compared to Don's tongue-lashing in Dirty Laundry.
    I also like the imagery of "coming my way down along that devastation trail".

Train Leaves Here This Morning – "And I watched as the smoker passed it on, And I laughed when the joker said, 'Lead on'" - very clever ... Hey Bernie, is he talkin' to YOU?

Take the Devil – "You are the one. Oh, how could you be so blind? The devil preys on runaways. He's never far behind." I can't really pinpoint what I like about these lyrics - maybe just because it serves as a good warning to always watch your back.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

In honor of OOTN, some favorites from that album:

My fave song Take it to the Limit:
    But the dreams I've seen lately keep on turning out and burning out and turning out the same
    So many can relate to this!

So put me on a highway and show me a sign
    People use the highway as a metaphor a lot, but you don't see the sign brought in as much. It adds another level to it.

After the Thrill is Gone

Same dances in the same old shoes

Empty pages and a frozen pen

Such clever metaphors!

I Wish You Peace

When storms are high and your dreams are low, I wish you the strength to let love grow

I've said elsewhere I appreciate this song, and I also appreciate this lyric. Very comforting.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    That's what I thought, too. I mean, to each his own, but to call "I do believe we can chug all night, I do believe we can hug all night" great lyrics? LOLOL!
    Thank you, glad it made you smile!

(I would also point out that I said that TIE and LITFL were 'forgotten throwaways'. No way!)

It was the only way some of those lyrics were ever going to get a mention in this thread... especially the ones from JOTS and IDTWNW.

Essentially anything that I criticised in that piece I actually really like, anything that I praised makes me laugh (the rhyming sequence from the Comfortably Numb demo had me in stitches when I first heard it). The non-Eagles lyrics were included to provide a bit more of a context, all of the ones I mentioned are by favourite bands of mine which I have discussed elsewhere except Champagne Supernova which is probably one of Britain's favourite 'bad' lyrics.

A couple more that I'd like to (genuinely) praise from LROOE:

'Monuments to arrogance reach for the sky' (Business As Usual)
    - I was listening to this the other day and was reminded of how great this image was, kind of like 'Put up a bunch of ugly boxes' from The Last Resort. It's a different way of looking at the modern world and food for thought - are all these tall buildings entirely necessary or are they just an elaborate vanity project?

'Even if one of them was to read a newspaper from cover to cover, that ain't what's going on, journalism dead and gone' (Frail Grasp On The Big Picture)
    - I must admit I am a big fan of this song, it is one of my favourites from LROOE even though I am aware some people really don't like it. I think the social commentary hits the spot and this section in particular is great because it (IMO rightly) dismisses newspapers which publish celebrity obsessed gossip and dumb down stories instead of providing proper news. I also think it could possibly be attacking even the more highbrow papers for failing to cover the real issues in modern society.

I've been reading thru this thread and applaud the choices and the reasonings behind each one. I think we all hear the same thing but we also hear something unique and those different interpretations give us new perspectives. Hotel California is probably THE MOST classic example of individual insights and interpretations and no matter how many times Don gives the 'underbelly' explanation, we still each find our own meaning in the lyrics.

There are few, if any, lyrics these guys have written that can't be considered great and I will post later with some of my specific favorites. I think much of what they wrote in the earlier days evolved from real life experience and as they've grown so too has their outlook. But Henley is a master wordsmith and always has been. He seems so philosophical on a bad day that on a good day he's pure genius! The man can turn a phrase!!! LROOE and WITW are perfect examples, to quickly name a few. To be quite honest, he could put the phone book to music and manage give a mind pause for thought! (I don't say that to diminish the writing skills and talents of the others, but IMO Don does seem to be the leader of the pack in that regard.)

I'll try to get my list together soon. (Having surgery Tuesday and my left appendage will be out of commission for several days. Maybe I'll use my recovery time to listen to the catalog and pick out my prime favorites. I can make notes with my good hand. Only need one when using paper and pen!)
    I just need a little downtime.........