Page 9 of 273 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Default Re: Eagles Documentary DVD

It was very brief; the clip looked to be from the mid-70s. He had his eyes closed while he sang and was sitting down, strumming the guitar. I can't remember where in the doc they showed it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border AftertheThrill's Avatar

Maybe I'll go watch it with the closed captioning on.

Just watched it with CC on

"You won't be with me someday" is the lyric you can hear. Plus something "Smile".

It's during the Linda segment.
    Last edited by AftertheThrill; 02-16-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Since seeing Glenn at the songwriter's event at NYU, and listening to some of his interviews, particularly with Art of the Song, where he talks so much about songwriting, I've realized that people who write songs, at least good ones, have a different idea about what songwriting entails. He talked a lot about chord progressions in his interviews and I'll be honest, it was like he was speaking Greek. A friend of mine, who is a musician, told me he feels the same way when I start my 'techno babble.'

In the movie last night, regarding VOL and wondering why Felder had thought he should sing it, Don mentioned that Felder didn't bring them the complete song. He said there were no lyrics or even a melody, just chord progressions. I assume that whatever a chord progression is, it's like a foundation for a house? The lyrics and melody are the structure and siding? If this is all true, I have to wonder why Felder has the prime songwriting credit. I guess this chord progression-thing is pretty important, and I feel like an uninformed bozo that I can't figure this out. I love music and always have, but until recently have never given any thought to how a song comes together, and so how anyone icould hand something over that has no melody or lyrics and still be given song-writing credit, let alone primary, baffles me to no end. Does anybody have any insight or ideas on where I could get enough of an education on this to at least understand what the heck Don was talking about?
    The primary songwriter is usually the one who has contributed the most or, all other things being equal, the initiator.

Many people equate the word "melody" with the whole tune. However, when Henley is speaking of the melody, he's speaking of what the lead singer is doing. So, my understanding of this is that Felder provided the backing instrumentation which gave the guys something to play around with to come up with the rest to layer on top of it.

It was certainly not unreasonable for Felder to expect to have one lead per album. That was always what had happened prior to HC, including on OOTN. Everyone else got a lead on HC. I know Bernie, Glenn, Don H and Randy at the beginning established each would get at least one lead per album and since Felder was brought in as an equal, I imagine he had the idea he would be treated as such in every way.

Plus, while I think Felder's voice is rather generic, he is probably a better singer than Henley is a guitar player. Therefore, I think Henley's analogy was flawed, although it made me laugh. Truth be told, fairness aside, I'd still rather hear Henley sing it.

We've heard Don H snark on Felder before, but Glenn has kept quiet except for an even toned statement in an interview with his old friend Wuhl. Therefore, hearing the contempt for Felder reflected in a voice that is usually so pleasant was jarring if not unexpected. I daresay we will get more of that tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I suppose it could be called 'selective memory' but even back in the early 80's when doing interviews they played down the conflict between them. I think it's that they got past it and resolved it, and it's not a big deal to either of them and not what springs to mind when either of them think of the past. I prefer to call it 'healing'.
    That's nice, but if we were going to get a documentary dealing with the demise of the band, such topics would ideally be explored even though they are now resolved.

Rebecca - congrats on being a Desperado!!!

Sorry for the multiple posts - it's just there's so much to address and I'm on an iPad so I can't multi quote in a single post.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    My question I've often thought about & was not answered last night & probably not tonight is if things were that bad with Felder, why when they reunited was he a part once again?
    Maybe we'll find out the answer tonight during Part 2!

Quote Originally Posted by AftertheThrill View Post
    Maybe I'll go watch it with the closed captioning on.

Just watched it with CC on

"You won't be with me someday" is the lyric you can hear. Plus something "Smile".

It's during the Linda segment.
    Thanks!

I just googled that phrase and the word "lyrics" with no results. I bet that was the beginnings of a song that never made it to an album. Cool! Wish we could have heard more!

Out on the Border AftertheThrill's Avatar

I just noticed during one of the 70's interviews with Glenn and Don. Don was reading the yellow pages.

That amuses me for some reason.

As does the fact that Glenn had Rice Crispies for breakfast. I love little details like that!

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Very good point- and add to that that it's been years so memories fade or as happens at times, you "embellish" a story enough, you start to believe it as truth also.

My question I've often thought about & was not answered last night & probably not tonight is if things were that bad with Felder, why when they reunited was he a part once again?

I really need to pull out Heaven & Hell & read it in hopes that it will answer many of my questions. But I've never been sure how accurate it is.
    Heaven & Hell is Felder's side of the story, so when the band reunited When Hell Froze Over, it didn't really get into what Glenn & Don were feeling about having Felder back with them. They actually did seem to get along better when they reunited, as they were all older & smarter. When the band broke up in 1980, my impression was that they were all burnt out & sick of each other.
    I think the Felder incident was just the straw that broke the camels back.

I do think Heaven & Hell was a very good read. It did give me a lot more information about Don Felder, who I really knew very little about before reading it. As for it's accuracy? Well, it's accurate from Felders point of view. I guess Glenn & Don H would have a different take on it, but it is written by him, so to that extent it is accurate. I have to admit that I did have different feelings about him after reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    every time I saw one of those jackets with the E on it...I was thinking 'I wonder if those are still around?...wouldn't it be awesome to have one of those?
    Yes, I want one, & it's my initial too!
    You know that picture of them wearing those jackets, the one TBF has as her siggy, well seems like Don Felder is cut from the photo because they showed the full picture in the show & he was on the far left...

On a funny note, when the guys were playing baseball, & Glenn said it gets out his frustration, & he said, he wasn't getting LAID??? OMG! I thought I was gonna crack up when he said that....He's not getting laid? WHHHHA...I thought they were getting it every night, Ugh, Guess NOT!