Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deacon and the Future

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Deacon and the Future

Feel free to move or merge if this isn't the right place for this but after seeing the vids of Deacon performing at Classic West and being amazed with how great he was (as was pretty much everyone) it got me wondering about his future music career. It all depends on what he and the band decide to do next but I do hope they're thinking about how this could be a stepping stone for Deacon as a solo artist or if he creates his own band. I think I remember Glenn mentioning in a interview before that Deacon wanted to pursue a music career so it's got me wondering if he does what genre he'll go into. We've seen and heard him do Eagles songs but rock like that and a lot like classic rock doesn't exist anymore. In my opinion his best bets are going into country or alternative rock, as both those genres have their own subgenres of country-rock. I'm hoping the best for him and he's got a bright future ahead and I'm excited for him.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Deacon and the Future

It's hard to tell what his talents are. He has stage presence and the ability to blend in with people forty years older than him. He can sing and play but doesn't seem that distinctive (not that that was what was required for the Classic shows). He's tall, dark and handsome which is never a bad thing.

If his aim is to be famous and play to large crowds, then he could aim for the ex-boy band niche, although he starts without the in-built fandom. However, he does have access to the right management and contacts within the industry.

Stuck on the Border

Good topic Buffy. UTW, as you said, we know he can sing and play. Deacon fits all the other requirements as well. I can't imagine anyone but Irving representing him so he can check that off too. I guess he can take this as far as he wants at this stage. I think a lot may depend on whether they plan on touring(cough,cough) after the East Festival.
    He did Glenn and Cindy proud last Saturday showing a lot of grace and cool presence on stage. I would guess he was probably a nervous wreck having never played before 59,000 people before. I did notice in the videos that Don kept coming up to him between songs and talking to him. Perhaps calming his nerves.

PS - I saw one of Deacon's Social media accounts that were public a few years ago. His choice of music was modern, but I am sure having Glenn as his Dad he has a appreciation for all music. I know after he graduated from college he attended school to study music production/engineering.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Well, it's interesting to watch the videos now that it's happened. It was an interesting, and I think appropriate, approach to use both Vince Gill and Deacon.

I'm reminded of Dweezil Zappa, who divides himself being writing and recording his own music, but also playing his father's music.

If Eagles do continue with Deacon, then I'm sure that Deacon will become more relaxed in the role and improve, as Dweezil Zappa has. I wonder if Deacon writes his own music and will do his own stuff too.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I've been thinking about this since seeing the vids and those two genres I am a fan of. I personally think country might be a better fit with how country music has changed so much and includes all different kinds of music influences. Plus, there's already been a lot of legacy between families in that genre. It actually made me think of more current country artist Thomas Rhett, who is actually the son of country singer-songwriter Rhett Akins (whose real name is Thomas Rhett Akins, Sr). Thomas has a huge following (including us younger women) and I've seen him in concert and am a fan myself. My Mom loves him too and loved his dad, which I remember watching CMT in the 90s with her and Rhett getting interviewed with little TR, as he was known back then, running around. LOL A lot of the younger male country singers tend to have a younger fanbase, but I know a lot of people who still listen to country that are Eagles fans including my parents.

I don't know if Irving manages country artists but I know Joe has been working a lot with country acts lately like Keith Urban and Brad Paisley, who are known for being guitarists too. So part of me feels Deacon might go into country more than alt-rock, but Kings of Leon are more Southern rock and are considered alternative too. But I do remember seeing a comment from Glenn saying Deacon was writing songs too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Hi AT, it's nice to see you back! Since you watched the videos are you convinced yet this is happening or are you still waiting for word from Henley? Lol, I hope you don't mind me teasing you...I know you were skeptical about this ever taking place.

I had the same thoughts as AT about whether Deacon is a songwriter. In the latest interview posted in Henley's forum, the reporter suggests that Don's son Will could eventually take his Dad's place in the Eagles. I don't know how well Deacon and Will know each other given the "estranged" relationship between their fathers but I would think they are at least casual acquaintances. It's a long shot but it's a possibility.

I don't think Deacon is quite ready to go out on his own yet. He does have stage presence. His vocals are solid with a nice tone. His voice lost pitch at times, at least from what I heard in the video clips. He may need to work on that, the way Glenn worked on his voice to get it right. I hope he doesn't take a cue from his peers and rely on auto tune.

I think he has a lot of potential. Right now I see him staying in a group. As far as genre it's hard to say b/c so little is known about his musical influences outside his father; probably alt-rock or indie singer-songwriter type of music.

And great idea for a thread topic, Buffyfan. I'm hoping the best for him as well.

EDIT: I just read Buffy's latest post. Does anyone know how old Irving is? He could retire soon or at least stop taking on new clients. Although I can see him making an exception for Glenn's son.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Irving Azoff must be around 70, but he's not the only Azoff in town. I knew that Jeffrey Azoff managed Harry Styles but I'd missed this latest merger:
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...on-creed-merge

And welcome back, AT.

Stuck on the Border

Interesting posts from everyone !
    Irving will be 70 in December.
    Thanks for the article. Sounds like Irving is setting up his son to take his place. Who ever thought the scruffy unknown guy from the 70's would become one of the most powerful people in the music business. Glenn and Don made a smart move when they hocked up with Irving in 1974 after Geffen sold Asylum and gave up managing the Eagles.

Yes, interesting posts from everyone! I'm enjoying reading all of them!

BTW, good to see you back, AT!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Hi all.

Having read some of your posts, I see that I'm even further out of the loop than I thought. I have to go and read more before I can contribute opinions on what is likely to happen, etc.

I've been rather busy, and <Sgt. Schultz Voice>I know nothing!</Sgt. Schultz Voice>.

EDIT: Having re-read the thread and elsewhere, it's going to come down to songwriting. There are lots of sons/daughters of famous musicians who have moderate music careers, but few seem to hit the really big time. (Jean-Michel Jarre is the best example I can think of - and he definitely found his own niche rather than followed directly in his father's footsteps.)

Having seen the earlier clips of Deacon from years ago, I wondered how he'd perform at the concert. But, from the clips I've seen, he did a good job. I think having Vince Gill there took some pressure off him. If the rest of Eagles (Don's call really) wanted to continue, then I could imagine Deacon growing into the role.

If Deacon wants his own career, then things get complex. If he was an unknown with no connections, then he'd have to learn his art over years getting better and better until he comes up with the goods. E.g. his father listening to Jackson Browne writing songs and going 'aha! that's how you do it.' But, Deacon is Deacon Frey, and if he wants to make an album then he's going to be able to do it, and it'll get promoted. Hence, unless he has considerable focus, there may not (Note: 'may not') be the motivation to really refine his songwriting art.

Having thought about this a bit, I think that James McCartney might be a comparable example. There are some songs that James writes that show some real songwriting potential and an original style, e.g. 'Else And Else But Dead'. But, I find most of his songs a bit generic. It could be just a matter of taste, but I think myself that he needs to work on his songwriting more. But, he's James McCartney, so if he wants to release an album then he can. And many of his Dad's fans will listen to it - so there's some automatic exposure there. Googling while writing this post I found that James released an album in 2016 that I didn't know about - but listening to it on Spotify it's similar, IMHO, to his previous work. The songs are OK, nothing wrong with them. But, most don't stand out. 'Waterfall' sounds better and shows potential.

Coming back to Deacon - if he wants to release an album, then he'll be able to. And many of us and other Eagles/Glenn fans will listen to it. But, will being the son of a really famous musician mean that he can record and release an album before he's had enough 'hungry' period to really develop himself as an artist?

I'm not saying that anything I've written above is fact; it's not even really my opinion. I'm just thinking about children of famous musicians and wondering how things really work for them. Thinking out loud.

I can't say more as I've never heard a song that Deacon has written.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 07-22-2017 at 02:51 PM.