Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Randy

Don Felder is my favorite Ex-Eagle. He is one of my biggest guitar inspirations other than Joe Walsh. He and Joe were my favorite guitar duo.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Bernie. One reason is that he came up with the catchy opening riffs/licks to no less than seven songs on the (first or second) best-selling album of all time . . .

I think Bill Szymczyk is my favorite ex-Eagle though he did come out of retirement to do Long Road Out Of Eden in 2007 and I guess doesn't qualify because of that. So much of that "Eagles Sound" is because of his untold hours in the editing studio both during and after the "takes". Same with Walsh's works and the James Gang before that. Bill doesn't get the public recognition he should get....but then not many "producers" do get that recognition. People tend to think the magic on records is pure talent from the band....and I'm not discounting that at all. But it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to take that live sound and get it laid down on vinyl or digitized onto a CD or DVD.

But I think the intent was to name an "ex" that performed on stage with band during concerts. Felder, Meisner and Leadon. For me, it would have to be Felder but NOT just because he was a virtuoso on guitar. His style is closer to what I identify with. Leadon is however, the most accomplished musician in my opinion. I think he could play a fishing line if he had to and play it well! Love his work on mandolin and banjo as well as guitar.

Meisner would get the nod from me on vocals of those three X's.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Bernie. One reason is that he came up with the catchy opening riffs/licks to no less than seven songs on the (first or second) best-selling album of all time . . .
    Which songs? He only has a songwriting credit for Witchy Woman. I am not disputing what you are saying, I am just wondering why you are so sure that only Bernie came up with these riffs.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I think Bill Szymczyk is my favorite ex-Eagle though he did come out of retirement to do Long Road Out Of Eden in 2007 and I guess doesn't qualify because of that. So much of that "Eagles Sound" is because of his untold hours in the editing studio both during and after the "takes". Same with Walsh's works and the James Gang before that. Bill doesn't get the public recognition he should get....but then not many "producers" do get that recognition. People tend to think the magic on records is pure talent from the band....and I'm not discounting that at all. But it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to take that live sound and get it laid down on vinyl or digitized onto a CD or DVD.

But I think the intent was to name an "ex" that performed on stage with band during concerts. Felder, Meisner and Leadon. For me, it would have to be Felder but NOT just because he was a virtuoso on guitar. His style is closer to what I identify with. Leadon is however, the most accomplished musician in my opinion. I think he could play a fishing line if he had to and play it well! Love his work on mandolin and banjo as well as guitar.

Meisner would get the nod from me on vocals of those three X's.
    I agree. Bill is a GREAT producer and engineer!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Which songs? He only has a songwriting credit for Witchy Woman. I am not disputing what you are saying, I am just wondering why you are so sure that only Bernie came up with these riffs.
    Take It Easy
    Witchy Woman
    Lyin' Eyes
    Already Gone
    Tequila Sunrise
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Best Of My Love

In the case of the first two songs, we know that in To The Limit J.D. Souther credited him with coming up with the opening of Take It Easy, and Don talked about the opening of Witchy Woman in the Very Best Of The Eagles booklet. As far as the rest of them go, Bernie played them, and J.D. said that he had a knack for coming up with those hooks, so I would assume they were his unless there was evidence to the contrary. Opening riffs don't have anything to do with songwriting credits, unless you're the organ player for Procol Harum . . .

If I had to choose my favorite ex-eagle, it would have to be Felder. He is so amazing at the solos and I love his style. I think Randy has a very unique sound to his voice. Bernie is very fun to watch on old videos, because he plays the banjo like it's second nature. Overall though, Don is my favorite ex-eagle.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Take It Easy
    Witchy Woman
    Lyin' Eyes
    Already Gone
    Tequila Sunrise
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Best Of My Love

In the case of the first two songs, we know that in To The Limit J.D. Souther credited him with coming up with the opening of Take It Easy, and Don talked about the opening of Witchy Woman in the Very Best Of The Eagles booklet. As far as the rest of them go, Bernie played them, and J.D. said that he had a knack for coming up with those hooks, so I would assume they were his unless there was evidence to the contrary. Opening riffs don't have anything to do with songwriting credits, unless you're the organ player for Procol Harum . . .
    But are we talking about the acoustic or electric riffs? At least for Tequila Sunrise & Lyin' Eyes, which Glenn co-wrote, those songs begin with acoustic strumming before the electric guitar kicks in. The same is true for Best Of My Love and Peaceful Easy Feeling. The truth is I wouldn't know so I would guess you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    But are we talking about the acoustic or electric riffs? At least for Tequila Sunrise & Lyin' Eyes, which Glenn co-wrote, those songs begin with acoustic strumming before the electric guitar kicks in. The same is true for Best Of My Love and Peaceful Easy Feeling. The truth is I wouldn't know so I would guess you are right.
    the electric riffs