Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eagles fan from the UK

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles fan from the UK

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Superb guitarist, his work at the end of Sultans of Swing (I've always assumed it's him anyway) is amazing.

Out of interest British comedian Al Murray refers to Dire Straits as the Geordie Eagles, make of that what you will.

(For any Americans etc on here, Geordie = someone from Newcastle upon Tyne.)
    My husband is from South Shields & being extremely pedantic would say that the entire band would have had to have been from the area to be Geordies & in any case Knopfler was born in Glasgow. So while Knopfler may be an honorary Geordie he isn't a 'real' one. But then my husband doesn't think Ross Noble, from Cramlington in Northumberland, is a 'real' Geordie either.

Leaving that aside I guess the Eagles comparison has some merit in that both bands were known for their distinctive sound. Dire Straits were less reliant on vocal harmonies & more reliant on one instrument. I will leave it there because it isn't something I really think about.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Welcome Jonny. You seem to have quite similar musical tastes to mine. You mention Dire Straits; just letting you know I am this board's resident Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler fanatic. Feel free...
    Excellent! I think Knopfler is a sublime guitarist and a fantastic songwriter. I was looking through the 'Singing for the Sake of the Song' section (the forum titles and sub-titles here are great by the way) and I think I saw a Dire Straits thread, I will make sure to post in it. I have all their studio albums although I only relatively recently added On Every Street to my collection.

I had a bit of free time last week and listened to quite a lot of live early Dire Straits - I listened to the live at the BBC album as well as some of the Communique songs from the Rockpalast show. I have long wanted to acquire Alchemy on CD as well and came across disc 2 at a CD stall but unfortunately there was no sign of disc 1 - I wasn't going to buy half the album, particularly as it wouldn't include Sultans of Swing.

Hi thelastresort! As I'm currently at university I split my time between the East Midlands (Nottingham) and the Northwest (between Chester and Liverpool).

Oh, and if there really is only one room for one us, then clearly the only suitable way of deciding this is a Desperado-style showdown.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Welcome to The Border, Jonny!!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

WELCOME from me too JCL!!

You have come to the right place for lots of EAGLES info & discussions. And you're correct, this is a great group of fans. Join in & have fun!!

*** I enjoyed reading your background info!
    Last edited by Houston Baby; 12-13-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Welcome!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Welcome from me as well, JCL. Glad you found us and hope you like you like it here on The Border. If you like talking about the Eagles, you're in good company. Enjoy!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016