Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

I was listening to the bonus tracks and thinking they're better than some of the stuff on the regular album!

I Wanna Be Around is terrific; very catchy and sung with power. I guess Glenn thought it was too bada$$ to fit with the other songs. It's smoothly sung snark. I personally love it.

Worried Mind gets your foot tapping. I understand that he probably thought it was too country for the album, but I'm glad he put it as a bonus track.

The Good Life has a pretty piano part and, again, a great vocal. I love how he sings "In case you wonder why..." Mmm indeed. It sounds like it would fit right in with the rest, so I'm stymied as to why he didn't include it in the regular version.

Speaking of the regular version, you can tell "I'm Getting Old Before My Time" was written for a woman to sing. Back in the forties (thirties?) when this song was written, no man would be asking a woman to go to Woolworth's to buy him a ring! Even in this day and age it's a bit unmanly! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I've heard the album a few times now, I must say I like the album but my favorite album of Glenn of it does Not become.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Yes, his original albums are better to me as well. They're more my type of music. Although Glenn has expressed the highest respect for this material, he and Tempchin (not to mention he and Henley) have written many songs that are superior, IMHO. However, this is good stuff, too. He mentioned in a couple interviews he hoped to introduce people to this kind of music and he certainly did that for me. Plus - and here's the clincher - his voice sounds freaking amazing.

It's funny - he tells the story about his mom and Glenn Miller - my dad played trumpet in a big band in college before I was born and our hall closet is chock full of Glenn Miller records, now all covered in dust. In fact, I thought the normal way to spell "Glenn" was with two "n"s and the people who only spelled it with one "n" were the oddities. However, I had no desire to play any of those Glenn Miller albums, nor any other of my parents' albums, and even they rarely played them. Dad was too busy working, and Mom was too busy chasing us kids around, I guess. Thus, I remained willfully ignorant. Sadly, those LPs will probably never get played again because my parents no longer have a working record player. (Ironically, I do, but it's hooked up to my computer so I can digitize LPs that haven't been released as CDs).

I think I might get my parents this album. I think they would be into it. They certainly would like it better than an album with songs that involve extramarital sex, cussing (including taking the Lord's name in vain), and/or substance abuse!

Question to those with the deluxe edition, and especially those who have seen both - is there anything different in the booklet and do you think the additional songs are worth buying another copy? Or should I just buy the individual songs? The reason I ask is that I purchased the standard version on Day One (because that was all the store had), but yesterday I saw several copies of the deluxe edition at Best Buy for $11.99 each.

My thought was that I might wait until after the show on the 20th to decide, but I'd love to hear Border input.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    Question to those with the deluxe edition, and especially those who have seen both - is there anything different in the booklet and do you think the additional songs are worth buying another copy? Or should I just buy the individual songs? The reason I ask is that I purchased the standard version on Day One (because that was all the store had), but yesterday I saw several copies of the deluxe edition at Best Buy for $11.99 each.

My thought was that I might wait until after the show on the 20th to decide, but I'd love to hear Border input.
    Everyone's tastes are different but three of four of my favorites are the three extras.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I have to agree with VK...while some may not be over the top with the bonus songs, I too find that I'm particularly draw to two of them over some of the others (although I really love the whole thing).
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    I've heard the album a few times now, I must say I like the album but my favorite album of Glenn of it does Not become.
    Would you at least tell us which tracks you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post

WE, I would say that the bonus tracks are definitely worth getting! You might want to buy only those songs instead of the CD as I can't see there being much less in the regular booklet than there is in the deluxe. I was disappointed in it. Not much info. It does list the musicians for each song, but there are no lyrics.

BTW, Glenn doesn't play any instruments on the album, but he does do all the singing.

If you do most of your listening on an iPod or digitally, then purchase the bonus songs separately. If you do most of your listening in the CD format, then go ahead and buy the deluxe CD so you can have all of the songs on one disc.

In terms of booklet extras for the deluxe edition or anything like that, there are none unless I'm missing something. The only difference in the two versions that I can see is the three songs.

Good to know. Thanks everyone. I'm leaning toward just buying the missing songs, but I'll still probably wait until after the show to see which ones I can't live without.