Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Default Re: Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Hi Billy! Welcome! I just finished my PhD a couple summers ago so I know how busy one can get when working on a thesis. It sounds like you've got a fascinating topic.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Welcome from me, too, Billy. Glad you found us. This is a wonderful place to associate with other Eagles lovers!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Hi Billy! Welcome! I just finished my PhD a couple summers ago so I know how busy one can get when working on a thesis. It sounds like you've got a fascinating topic.
    If you don't mind me asking, what was your PhD in? Thanks again to all of you who have welcomed me in. I love the Eagles and they are one of many bands that are consistently in my all time favorites. I look forward to getting to know you all much better.
    And to Mike A., I am happy to possibly be the first mandolinist, although I'm still learning the finer details about playing the instrument. Banjo is next on my list

My PhD is in Early Modern / Renaissance Literature, with a specialization in gender studies. My dissertation was entitled "Constancy and Punishment: Gender and the Virtue of Constancy in Early Modern Prose Romance."

I theorized that constancy is a fundamental element of the power relationships between men and women in the Renaissance. While women were expected to be constant, males were given more leeway in this arena. A man who is constant to one woman gives her a degree of power over his sexuality, which goes against the idea that a male must own the woman's sexuality in order to fulfill his gender role. Still, there was the unavoidable fact that adultery is a sin. A writer interested in portraying virtue must elevate constancy in both the male and female; however, the idea of the power this gives a woman creates an underlying ambivalence about male constancy that peeks through in the works. I proved my point using Sidney's Arcadia and Weamy's Continuation as well as Wroth's Urania.

Out on the Border

My PhD is in Early Modern / Renaissance Literature, with a specialization in gender studies. My dissertation was entitled "Constancy and Punishment: Gender and the Virtue of Constancy in Early Modern Prose Romance."

I theorized that constancy is a fundamental element of the power relationships between men and women in the Renaissance. While women were expected to be constant, males were given more leeway in this arena. A man who is constant to one woman gives her a degree of power over his sexuality, which goes against the idea that a male must own the woman's sexuality in order to fulfill his gender role. Still, there was the unavoidable fact that adultery is a sin. A writer interested in portraying virtue must elevate constancy in both the male and female; however, the idea of the power this gives a woman creates an underlying ambivalence about male constancy that peeks through in the works. I proved my point using Sidney's Arcadia and Weamy's Continuation as well as Wroth's Urania.
    Wow, impressive. Now I feel like I should have expounded more on what is going on in my thesis...maybe I simplified too much LOL. My biggest problem right now with explaining the project, and writing it, is the self-editing. There is so much I want to put in, but time and page limits dictate that not everything gets said. I will be done in June, and off to who knows where right now. The schools I applied to are all very interested in what I am doing though, so hopefully I canget it all in at the dissertation stage.

It's hard to explain what you're doing briefly. When I was working on my diss, I once got asked to explain what it was about "in a nutshell." After several minutes, I found that I still hadn't really explained it adequately, so I had to wrap it up rather lamely before I lost everyone in the room. Ever since then, I've worked to keep my diss summary tidy and short! Self-editing is difficult. Do you get much feedback from your adviser?

Out on the Border

It's hard to explain what you're doing briefly. When I was working on my diss, I once got asked to explain what it was about "in a nutshell." After several minutes, I found that I still hadn't really explained it adequately, so I had to wrap it up rather lamely before I lost everyone in the room. Ever since then, I've worked to keep my diss summary tidy and short! Self-editing is difficult. Do you get much feedback from your adviser?
    Not much right now. With budget cuts we lost 4 faculty members in one year, so my adviser also advises everyone doing US History. His specialty is 19th C. & Native Americans, so he lets me wander off on my own. But, I also got my BA here, so he is familiar with my work and trusts me to be able to handle it. Which, while nice, it also leads to times when I feel like I'm running into a brickwall.

Glad to have you here, Billy. Welcome!!!
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Welcome from one musician to another!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Welcome to The Border, Billy! Glad to have you here!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--