Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O2, London, June 16, 2014

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: O2, London, June 16, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I wouldn't take note of what the Standard's view on anything, it's an awful paper that a couple of years ago went complimentary because no-one of sound mental capacity would willingly part with money to obtain a copy.

I think the Torygraph's review follows the old Rolling Stone (I think they said it) philosophy of them loitering on stage and being a bit too identical to the studio versions. I agree with that in some senses but I wouldn't knock them specifically for it. For a bunch of 65-66 year-olds to do 150 minutes of music a night with only a 15 minute rest is remarkable enough: I'd even say there's more skill in recreating sound identically in those circumstance than loosening up and improvising on occasion.
    'Charisma of a train station announcer'....

Although I obviously can't agree with that, the stuff about the total lack of spontaneity & increasingly apparent hostility to the people who have paid huge amounts of money to see them can't really be argued with, no matter how passionate we are on this board.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I didn't read the reviews, however I can definitely say that in none of the shows I went to were they hostile to the audience! Anything but! I'm not sure where you get this opinion, FP.

The lack of spontaneity is their secret to success. Others use (generally contrived) spontaneity to cover the fact they can't possibly sing the songs like the originals. Our guys don't have to lower themselves to that level.

Here is a tweet I found:
    Olympic Cinema@Olympic_Cinema9h
    Thanks Don Henley & @GlennFrey for our namecheck @o2arena last night. Their 1973 debut was recorded here! #welcomebackanytime @TheEaglesBand
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

It's an overstatement, but I get it from the clampdown on any form of photography & the apparently more frequent lectures to the crowd on acceptable behaviour. If this isn't the case, I stand corrected, but a large number of Borderers' reviews have spent some time discussing these issues.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Fair enough. I'll just say I went to ten shows and never heard the band say no photos and only once did one of them ask someone to sit down (see my Indianapolis review) It was Glenn and he was very sweet about it. Security is a different matter, and with the exception of LA, they generally handled it well, but I can't speak for all the shows.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

None of the reviews are bad. They're all 3-star and praise the music but just pick up on the lack of spontaneity, which is something even fans complain about.

They are what they are. " Everybody had to look good, sing good, play good and write good." Stage charisma wasn't part of it. They aimed to be like the kids they were playing for just a little older and cooler. Not much has changed.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Ok I go home very late last night after yet another Eagles adventure!! This time of course London.

To answer a few questions posed

Timothy has shaved off the goatee, that was one of the first things I had noticed when he came on stage.

Cameras were not allowed, this was transmitted to us via screens and announcements, security where I was sitting was strict and like in Dublin if anyone as much as took a phone out during the show they were hunted out by guys with torches and reprimanded for it. So while the Eagles did not say it from stage, they didn't have to.

The fun started for me, not at the VIP dinner (I will put the VIP experience in another thread) but afterwards. Unlike the other VIPs I headed back down into the concourse and met Troubadour and her Mum. Now Troub and I have been net buddies for over 5 years now yet had never managed to hook up together. So it was a great treat to finally meet up and go to an Eagles concert together. It has been one of our dreams for ages. We also met up with Secret Squirrel, Bashful Badger and their Dad.

When we got our tickets scanned the guy said to us 'You have the best seats ib the house Ladies' and guess what...... he wasn't lying!! We were front row, right at the centre. And we only and a few minutes to wait before the whole thing kicked off...

OK, the show.... what can I say. Its the same setlist as all the other shows obviously, and I know some reviewers like to say that it is over rehearsed and there is no spontaneity. I ask how you can choreograph 31 songs, video clips, along with instrument and personnel changes and be totally spontaneous at the same time. It doesn't happen. The Eagles have found a formula that works for them. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. Having been to 4 in a row I would say that they do their best to vary the comments, the jokes, the interludes between songs etc.
    I have to say as you all know I am biased towards Glenn and I was very anxious to see if he had recovered from having that cold in Dublin. He was. he was totally relaxed and was having a great time out there. He was laughing at pretty much everything and I think a few times looked down where we were sitting. He was also looking straight at us when he was doing the 1-9 count towards the end of Funk 49, and the facials he was pulling when he was jamming with Joe earlier in the song had everyone in knots laughing. The only thing was that he did have a couple of bandages on his left hand and at the end of either F49 or LITFL (think it was the former) he shook his wrist a bit ad looked down at us mouthing something like 'Phew.... that hurt'. So i hope his wrist is ok. We got the Detroit Jokes and the bathroom break, but Plaintiff was missing - Instead he invited us to sing along to 'Lyin Eyes'. Highlight of this part of the show for me is always the Video to 'Already Gone'. If anyone finds it on youtube please post the link!
    Timothy was in fine form as always and I noticed as I said earlier the goatee is gone.
    I was delighted that Lou enjoyed watching Don so much. I think the highlight for her was BOML which of course he sang beautifully. When he took the mic before TLR I thought he was slightly stuck for words. Not noticeably but maybe just a little less prepared than normal.
    Joe as always ripped the place apart with his guitar and his Camera. I believe on reliable information Lou and I were seen on the big screen!!

At the end of the show Glenn and Timothy gave picks to a child who was sitting in the front but more to Timothy's side. Timothy also threw some picks out to the crowd on his side. Glenn's mic had none left on it so apart from a half hearted 'Any Picks?' I left it at that!!

Overall I would say that it was the best so far of the HOTE concerts that I have been to, Liverpool you have a lot to love up to!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ga, wonderful review! Sounds like it was a great evening! I'm glad you and Troub got to meet at last! I hope she will pop in and give us her thoughts too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Sounds fantastic! So glad you and Troub got to finally meet up!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border bashful badger's Avatar

Monday night we were miles back though still not in the cheap seats so luckily equipped with binoculars.

They say you can't please all the people all the time and I think that's especially true when you're playing songs that have been the soundtrack to so many lives. I have to say I wasn't particularly struck with the new arrangement of ‘Witchy Woman’, for instance. So as far as innovation goes, they’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

I never ever thought I would get to hear the Eagles play songs like ‘Doolin’ Dalton’, ‘Saturday Night’ and ‘Train Leaves Here’ live. How great was it to see Bernie Leadon back in the fold?

But equally, the earlier tracks leave my Dad cold and he would far rather have heard stuff off Long Road. Luckily, we did get to experience those on the last tour.

For me halfway through it morphed into The Joe Show. Apart from ‘Pretty Maids’, I can pretty much take or leave all the self-indulgent guitar stuff and songs that go on for half an hour. But I understand that he has a huge quota of fans (very loyal and very vocal ones) out there.

Probably my favourite was the ‘DD’/‘Desperado’ reprise. The second night I went that brought tears to my eyes.

More about the rules and regulations and staff cracking down on us later. I think I was on my third strike Wednesday night.

Border Troubadour

I was similarly touched when the did D-D/D Reprise, I wasn't bawling but there were one or two tears when I realised just how much I had longed to see them sing that live for years, for me it defines perfectly the harmony, songwriting and country sound that defined for me the real Eagles (of course such definition varies by person). The Winslow, Arizona line in TIE (like I said in my review thread) was similar, I'd been waiting about a decade to hear that line and when I did I think I kind of fulfilled my on true goal in life