Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ticket Prices

Default Re: Ticket Prices

Well, good for Kid Rock. Very admirable. However, I'd like to know where they are getting their $200 price for Springsteen tickets. I've never seen a face value ticket for his US shows be more than $120. And no VIP priced seats either. Everyone has an equal shot at the front with the GA lottery. But it makes for a better story, I guess...

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    VA, I would like to know how file sharing of music & electronic downloads affects ticket prices to the extent where tickets have gone up like a thousand percent??? People have been downloading for at least 10 years now, so yes, this does cut into sales of albums, but HOW does this justify tickets in the $600- $1000 range for STADIUM SEATS? I'm not talking first few rows here. I'm talking levels up, where you really cannot see, except for the big screen. These stadiums hold what 15,000 to 30,000 seats? I can't even imagine what they take in at a stadium...even with seats in the $150. -$300. range.
    To me it's a matter of pure GREED. They charge as much as they can get away with...
    Aside from the fact that these big acts already have hundreds of millions of dollars, I just don't get that they have to price gouge the public. Really pisses me off.

The concert experience sure isn't the same as it was back in the day. I'm sure glad I grew up when I did; when I was able to go to a concert every weekend...the reefer was passed around, like it was nothing & the security guards didn't care..Ah..Yes, the good old days!
    I read it a while back, I think it was in USA Today. They had one of those Cover Story articles that are pretty lengthy (for them). They interviewed several artists and all of them said the only way to make money in the music business was in touring, that money from album sales was nearly non-existent between the contracts the labels offered and the lack of sales.

I read it again in another article last year, I probably posted it here, about the inroads on artists salaries that things like Spotify are doing. Again, they said touring was it and that most artists had demanded more money when touring.

So, I didn't say it, but I did read it from a reputable source. The reputable source didn't say electronic downloads were at fault and neither did I. Copying music instead of buying is what I wrote. ALSO, I did not say the high prices were due to this. I gave a big list of reasons and once you combine them all, you have higher prices. Naturally, there's inflation involved as well, and that's across the board with everything.

Most stadiums hold 60,000+ for football games. Add seats on the field and you're looking at a lot people. I said before, I'll say it again, I know know the percentages and I wish I did, but I'm betting an artist doesn't even see close to 50% of the cost of a ticket. Obviously, there's a lot more people riding the backs of popular artists in order to make a buck.

While I agree there's greed involved, it's on far more than the artists in my opinion. You can blame it all on them if it makes you feel better.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

According to the article by Kid Rock, he says the artists take in between 70- 90% of the ticket prices....So that is a huge amount...

VA, you gave a list of the reasons for tickets being so high, but the percentage of the increase in comparison to the percentage of increase in everything else on the list is just not reasonable...yes, gas, wages, transportation, everything has gone up, but not nearly as much as concert tickets.

Even Kid Rock says that he makes tons of money.Now he is charging $20. for tickets, so average income people can see it...I'm not saying every show should cost this much, but prices are pretty much insane right now for some acts.

I feel bad for kids of this generation because not only are they paying through the nose for tickets....some of the acts have the nerve to LIP SYNC the show?? I don't ever want to see that!!! If I do, I will demand my money back. I don't think anyone I would see would do that, but it happens. I have heard that Madonna, Britney Spears, JLo & some others do it... Is that balls or what?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Yay, Kid Rock!!!! Good for you and I hope (but doubt) it shames others into doing the same thing.

Let's not forget that most of these artist are already multimillionaires. Just how much money does one have to make in a lifetime? And I've said it before and will continue to say it----let's not forget HOW you made those millions and why you're up on that stage performing. If it wasn't for that hard working individual that has bought your albums, merchandise and seen your concerts, you'd be still in the garage hoping to become a rock star! How about showing your appreciation by lowering the ticket prices to an affordable amount. When a ticket price is a mortgage payment for an average adult, there's a problem. I don't care who you wish to blame, I still believe it's the performer who is the bottom line in the decision making and should stand their ground in saying let's lower these prices.

I do NOT need a huge light show, special effects, production, etc... play the freaking music and I'm all kinds of happy. Like I said above, you've made your millions and what better way to show your appreciation than letting your average fan be able to afford a concert ticket to see you perform. I'd be willing to bet that most of ANY artists fans are average ordinary people who cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars for an 1 1/2 -3 hour performance. Period!! I almost feel insulted, for lack of a better word, any more when trying to buy a ticket. I feel like, "how dare you! Do you not realize how much money I have spent over the years on your merchandise, albums, etc... I deserve better than this!"

Like TK said-- I'm glad that I grew up when I did and have managed to see hundreds of concerts over the decades because I feel I have most likely seen the last of my shows. I just will NOT spend hundreds of dollars to see one show.

Again, this is just me and what do I know?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I agree with you TBF. They can try to justify it all they (the artists) want, but it's a huge rip off.

Like you, I don't need all the huge production they try to do these days. I just want to see the band and hear the music. It's all gotten way out of hand.

My husband says these rich artists are broke like most people only at a higher level. Everyone learns to live with what they have. They just have more and have to continue to make the kind of money they do to continue living like they do. It's the snowball effect! KWIM?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Thank You TBF, You are 100% correct. These artists got rich off of US....the people who supported them all these years, by buying cds, records, merchandise, & concert tickets...They need to stop being so greedy!
    They made tons of money...If you can't do a tour for a reasonable ticket price, then cut some things back....I don't need the fancy pyrotechnics or other stuff either. Yes, your right, tickets should not be a mortgage payment!

Things now are TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL

While I could do without all the 'big show' extras as well, I'm afraid we're in a minority. So many that are younger than us have come to expect it. Most acts are expected to have choreographed dancers these days. Ick.

Anyway, the problem goes far beyond artists. I went out and did this just for fun, you all have learned (the hard way) of my love for hockey.

Here are the ticket prices for our guys at the Verizon Center in July:
    Main Concourse: $104.15 or $211.90
    Floor Seating: $211.90
    Club Concourse: $104.15 or $211.90
    Upper Concourse: $66.85 or $104.15

Taylor Swift at the Verizon Center:
    Main Concourse: $113.60
    Floor Seating: $113.60
    Club Concourse: $113.60
    Upper Concourse: $44.65 or $113.60

Here are the single game prices for the Washington Capitals hockey team:
    Acela Club (premium seating at the top of the venue): $305.35 or $444.60 + membership fees.
    Standing Room (just below the upper concourse on the ends): $220.55
    Club Concourse: $135.75 or $185.80
    Upper Concourse: $75.50 or $126.55

Obviously, this isn't comparing apples to apples, sports teams need to pay athletes. Then again, this doesn't count where the real money comes in, TV revenues. I can't imagine paying these prices and going and seeing my team lose. Like with popular bands, to actually get a good seat you need to buy a ticket with an inflated price from StubHub or Ticketmaster's Ticket Exchange.
    VK

I don't know how reputable this source is, but here's an interesting article.

http://www.wisebread.com/how-much-a-...-ticket-prices

I also found an interesting forum where a guy in the business posted this back in 2008:
    Seems like a lot of money.
    It ain't.

I just got a quote from Rock-it Cargo for SINGLE semi, driver, fuel, lodging for a twelve city U.S. tour.
    The price: $64K
    That is one semi truck.

An arena p.a. rig can easily cost $15K per night.
    A lighting rig will cost more than that.
    There is the stage to pay for in arenas.
    Local union hands to set stage and work the show (almost 100% of the time.)
    Local riggers (always required.)
    Price per rigging point ($200, to $500 depending on venue) there can easily be thirty, forty points and I have seen as many as 92 points (Bette Midler '06.)
    Power Service charges (easily $1 per amp, but usually more)
    Teamsters to un-load trucks (a union requirement in many cities and venues.)
    Catering

Tour crew busses and fuel.
    Tour crew lodging.
    Air fares.
    Salaries.

Insurance (a BIG factor.)

I have known members of major tour acts (BIG acts) and they had tours that DID NOT break even.

Did you know that if you record ANYTHING in a union hall there is an AUTOMATIC $4K fee?
    Always. 100% of the time.
    They don't even assist except to tie in power.
    Plus, they won't even tie your power in unless this fee is paid.
    If you hired a generator they would either cut your cables (accidently) or not allow the show to be set-up.
    Remember that the management of the halls are most likely union as well.

Touring is EXTREMELY expensive.
    Unless the act and label have deep pockets they have to borrow start up money for a tour.
    There is interest on that.

The p.a. and lighting has to be rented prior to a paying show for tech rehearsals.
    There is at least an entire week of production rental (sound, lighting, stage) and associated salaries before any shows bring in revenue.
    VK

Another quote from the same forum. They seem to be a techie haven for those in the business. Session musicians, tour musicians, songwriters, mixers, mastering and remastering, those who build studios and excel in acoustics, and the use of songs on TV and film. This quote is also from 2008. The forum name is Gearslutz.

I have been around large tours for the last 12 years of my life and can give a ballpark estimate of some of the costs;

Tour buses $1,000 per day the bus is out (not per show)Headliners like nice buses
    *these tours usually don't go out with less than 6 buses, I did a Reba show that had 13 on the road...how would you like to pay gas for that! sheeeeeezz
    Gas- these buses are getting about 7 miles a gallon if you are lucky.....
    Insurance- you have to insure all people on the road, and the artist(imagine having to pay for John Mayer's broken hand in the middle of a tour)

Musician's are getting between $1500 and $2500 per show
    Per diems have to be paid to each person on the road with you @ $45 per day.
    Road crew is needed to set up all your gear, and on a headliner tour, the headliner surely has a tech for each instrument( I have seen some have 2 guitar techs!)

So out of the previously mentioned $200,000-$300,000 estimated gaurantee, you first deduct about 15-20% for the booking agent. These folks go through CAA and William Morris, believe me, they are getting their cut.

Then deduct PA, Lights, etc....

Merch: the venues ALWAYS get 20-30% of the sales. That is why cd's are really expensive at shows. BTW- the Rolling Stones average 1 million dollars in gross merch sales PER NIGHT , this is not the norm for other bands of course.

So to say $100,000 per show for an expense estimate is not out of line. PLus, there is always a split on the profits. The promoters get the short end of the stick on that. I have seen a million dollar box office result in the promoter only walking away with $50,000 in their pocket after expenses and the split.......
    VK

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

VA, you've made a good case for them, but for me, they have pretty much priced themselves out of my ballpark. Not only the Eagles, all of the big name bands. My priorities lie elsewhere.

I never had the opportunity to see hardly any bands back in my hey day. I live too far away from a major venue and I never had the money back then even though tickets were cheap. In the last 10 years I have gotten to see quite a few bands/musicians that I wanted to see, so if I only get to see them once in my life, that will have to do. I just don't have the money to go around, but that's just me and my priorities.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten