Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Music/Song Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty33
    I love Sentimental Lady. I have a version of that by Bob Welch. Was he ever a member of any Fleetwood Mac lineup???
    Bob Welch joined Fleetwood Mac in 1971, after they'd lost both Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer to mental illness (Green after losing his mind due to, according to Mick Fleetwood, bad LSD - Spencer after he joined the Children of God cult). They needed a dynamic lead guitarist and he was who they picked.

He appeared on five albums - Future Games (1971), Bare Trees (1972), Peguin (1973), Mystery to Me (1973), and Heroes are Hard to Find (1974).

Sentimental Lady, his biggest solo hit, actually appeared first on a Fleetwood Mac album - Bare Trees. Another song he is notable for is Hypnotized, off of Mystery to Me.

After he left, Mick Fleetwood went hunting for another charismatic lead guitarist - and he found Lindsey Buckingham. Mick asked him to join, and he accepted on the condition that they also take his girlfriend, Stevie Nicks: "We're a package deal." The rest is history.

There were no hard feelings, though, between Welch and any of the members, old or new, of Fleetwood Mac. They often appeared on his solo albums. Speaking of....

Ebony Eyes was off of his solo album French Kiss, which also includes the version of Sentimental Lady you're familiar with (slightly different lyrics and arrangement). Christine McVie guest-appeared on his album and sang backup on the song. She's the one going "All I need is you" in the chorus. Lindsey and Mick also guested on the album.

Here's a video of Bob Welch performing Ebony Eyes at the 1978 CalJam. Stevie appeared onstage with him - she's rocking out with her tamborine! You go girl! At the end of it, you can see a bit of Gold Dust Woman that she performed on Bob Welch and Friends, with him backing her.

Ebony Eyes with Stevie Nicks - Cal Jam 1978

She also appeared on it on a "Bob Welch and Friends" special:

Ebony Eyes with Stevie Nicks - Bob Welch and Friends c. 1983

Probably more than you wanted to know, but you got me going on the Mac, so it's your fault.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    Quote Originally Posted by badkitty33
    I love Sentimental Lady. I have a version of that by Bob Welch. Was he ever a member of any Fleetwood Mac lineup???
    Bob Welch joined Fleetwood Mac in 1971, after they'd lost both Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer to mental illness (Green after losing his mind due to, according to Mick Fleetwood, bad LSD - Spencer after he joined the Children of God cult). They needed a dynamic lead guitarist and he was who they picked.

He appeared on five albums - Future Games (1971), Bare Trees (1972), Peguin (1973), Mystery to Me (1973), and Heroes are Hard to Find (1974).

Sentimental Lady, his biggest solo hit, actually appeared first on a Fleetwood Mac album - Bare Trees. Another song he is notable for is Hypnotized, off of Mystery to Me.

After he left, Mick Fleetwood went hunting for another charismatic lead guitarist - and he found Lindsey Buckingham. Mick asked him to join, and he accepted on the condition that they also take his girlfriend, Stevie Nicks: "We're a package deal." The rest is history.

There were no hard feelings, though, between Welch and any of the members, old or new, of Fleetwood Mac. They often appeared on his solo albums. Speaking of....

Ebony Eyes was off of his solo album French Kiss, which also includes the version of Sentimental Lady you're familiar with (slightly different lyrics and arrangement). Christine McVie guest-appeared on his album and sang backup on the song. She's the one going "All I need is you" in the chorus. Lindsey and Mick also guested on the album.

Here's a video of Bob Welch performing Ebony Eyes at the 1978 CalJam. Stevie appeared onstage with him - she's rocking out with her tamborine! You go girl! At the end of it, you can see a bit of Gold Dust Woman that she performed on Bob Welch and Friends, with him backing her.

Ebony Eyes with Stevie Nicks - Cal Jam 1978

She also appeared on it on a "Bob Welch and Friends" special:

Ebony Eyes with Stevie Nicks - Bob Welch and Friends c. 1983

Probably more than you wanted to know, but you got me going on the Mac, so it's your fault.
    No problem Soda, I'm never one to turn down musical history info!!! I love learning this stuff! Thanks!

You know, "Bare Trees" jumped out at me! I'm quite sure that's where I remember that version of "Sentimental Lady". I don't think I have Bob Welch's solo effort.

And thanks for the link to that video. I'll make sure and check that out.
    "I'm not here for your entertainment, you don't really wanna mess with me tonight ....." -- Pink
    www.setbb.com/allthingsmusic

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I didn't really know where to ask this question, but maybe this will be ok.

I'm a fan of John Mellencamp and in his song "Check It Out" there is a line that says "sung with the Eagles all week long....". Does anyone know if that refers to THE Eagles or is he talking about the BIRDS? I've always wondered about this and if he was a fan of theirs or its just a line with no meaning! Anyone?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I always thought that line was 'soaring with eagles' & it was a metaphor for being happy or whatever.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That could be, Fp. I didn't look it up to see if that was the correct line. That's how I always heard it, but I could be wrong. Just wondered. And I liked thinking I was right!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

So I just started listening to Bryan Adam and I LOVE him! His voice, to me anyway, is similar to Don and John Waite. One of the songs I downloaded was his version of the song that Don and Trisha Yearwood did together, "Inside Out." Anybody else a fan of his?

Yep, I like Bryan Adams - got most of his albums.

His duets with Bonnie Raitt (Rock Steady) and Mel C (When You're Gone) are pretty darn good too.
    I want total sensory deprivation and back-up drugs :O)

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Music/Song Suggestions

This thread is pretty old but I can definitely do a 'beginner's guide' for Pink Floyd.

In total, there are 15 Pink Floyd studio albums. One thing I feel quite strongly is that is that listening to Pink Floyd's albums in chronological order is NOT the best way to get into the band. A newcomer to the band may be put off by the very experimental material on some of the earlier albums and therefore miss out on what I consider to the band's zenith in the 1970s.

The majority of people start with one of three albums - The Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here or The Wall. This is not surprising as these feature most of the band's most recognisable songs, which receive the majority of airplay on classic rock radio. I would recommend starting with The Dark Side Of The Moon as it is more song-based than Wish You Were Here and less bleak than The Wall (while also featuring a more balanced representation of the band's talents). If you enjoy Dark Side, then listen to those two.

Which albums you should listen to next depends on your views on Wish You Were Here and The Wall. If Wish You Were Here is your favourite then I would recommend listening to Meddle next which contains the brilliant side-long composition Echoes, which is every bit as good as Shine On You Crazy Diamond. If you love The Wall then go for The Final Cut which is even darker and further explores some of the ideas expressed in The Wall from Roger Waters' personal perspective but if you are not a fan of The Wall or of Waters' singing voice then you can give this one a miss.

The other album from this era, Animals, is a superb concept album in my view but is not readily accessible as it is built around three long songs which meant the album has received limited airplay over the years. I would say that it shouldn't be your first Pink Floyd album but if you become a big fan it is essential. The band really are at the top of their game here and while Waters wrote most of the material, Gilmour's guitar work is superb throughout and defines the album's sound.

The post-Waters years are somewhat divisive and these albums are dismissed by some sections of the PF fanbase. I personally far prefer The Division Bell to A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, as I consider the former to be a true Pink Floyd album (Rick Wright co-wrote half of the songs) whereas the latter is a David Gilmour solo album in all but name, and the 1980s synthesisers and drums/drum machines have not aged too well. If I wanted to listen to a David Gilmour solo album I would rather listen to his 1978 self-titled release which highlights his guitar work and has aged rather better.

In my experience people who strongly favour the Waters-dominated Wall and Final Cut do not tend to be big fans of these albums, but if you prefer Wish You Were Here you should certainly give Division Bell at least one listen. The most recent release, 2014's The Endless River, is made up virtually entirely of instrumentals. It has the classic David Gilmour guitar and Rick Wright organ/keyboard/synth parts and I am very satisfied with it myself but I think it is really only one for the big fans.

As for the main early studio releases, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and A Saucerful Of Secrets both feature a psychedelic sound rather removed from the more progressive 1970s albums. Both are strong albums although there is a difference in that Piper is dominated by Syd Barrett whereas Saucerful features one Barrett composition but the majority of the album was written by Waters or Wright. I personally favour the latter but both are good additions to a Pink Floyd collection. Ummagumma is a double disc set consisting of a live album and a studio album but bar the excellent acoustic Grantchester Meadows the studio record is made up of very experimental, avant-garde pieces eschewing conventional song structures. The live album is excellent but is made up mostly of material from the first two albums so this album may be best left until last or nearly last.

Atom Heart Mother meanwhile is underrated in my book - the title suite isn't perfect but has some great moments while the songs on side two are eminently listenable. If you like Meddle then you should enjoy a fair bit of this album. If you are curious about the early years but do not fancy listening to a full album, then Relics is worth hearing - it contains a smattering of songs from the first three albums as well as some (high quality) non-album tracks.

Of the two soundtrack albums I would say that Obscured By Clouds is superior to the Soundtrack from the film More. The former is actually quite underrated and has a mix of laid-back rock songs with some early versions of ideas that were explored on Dark Side Of The Moon. The latter also has some strong material but is let down by its second half which is dominated by mediocre instrumentals.

There are three Pink Floyd compilation albums. One of these, the ironically titled A Collection Of Great Dance Songs, frankly is not worth your time unless you are a completist or badly need a rather poor edit of Shine On, a very minor edit to Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 and a version of Money where David Gilmour plays practically every instrument. The compilation was a contractual obligation album and it shows. The other two, Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd and A Foot In The Door are substantially better than Dance Songs and both contain a lot of quality material but are flawed collections - the former has quite a well thought out tracklisting and cleverly features segues between the different tracks, but it is missing too many essential classic songs IMO (where for instance are Welcome To The Machine and Run Like Hell) and features some fairly questionable inclusions, while the latter has a good selection of tracks for a single disc but on the whole seems to have been put together fairly hastily with little clear sense in the running order.

I haven't covered the live releases but of the two post-Waters live albums I would strongly recommend getting P.U.L.S.E (from The Division Bell tour) rather than Delicate Sound Of Thunder (from A Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour). Both cover most of the major hits but P.U.L.S.E also features a full live rendition of The Dark Side Of The Moon, some of the strongest material from The Division Bell plus Sorrow and Learning To Fly, probably the two best tracks from Momentary Lapse and therefore offers a superior selection of material.

If you have any questions about Pink Floyd and their albums, please feel free to ask.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

I love Pink Floyd. I always wondered if everything that was said about Syd Barrett was true. Seemed to me a very good musician...

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

From reading Mark Blake's excellent book Pigs Might Fly I get the impression that a lot of the stories were true - the worst ones including reports of Syd strumming the same chord continuously during concerts. I really can't blame the band for deciding not to pick him up one night, it seems cruel in a way but having him on stage in the state he was in wasn't good for the band, the audience or for Syd himself. To their credit the other members did help Syd record a couple of solo albums but even this sadly became too much of a challenge after about 1970.

Syd's Wikipedia page has a fair bit about the recording of his solo albums The Madcap Laughs and Barrett:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett

Unlike the Eagles, there are plenty of decent books on Pink Floyd, including Nick Mason's account Inside Out (which is also very good). I guess there isn't that much gossip surrounding the band and therefore the books can focus on the music. I have to say that Nick doesn't come across as having an axe to grind and he recounts some interesting stories about the songs (I particularly enjoyed reading about how Echoes came out) as well as some amusing anecdotes.