Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rod Stewart

Default Rod Stewart

We obviously have some big fans of his on The Border! I know I enjoyed seeing him with Stevie Nicks recently on the "Heart and Soul" tour. Feel free to Rave or Rant about Rod here!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Rod Stewart

I had made a statement in another thread about how Rod Stewart's use of special effects and elaborate set/costume designs in his live shows seemed to be a gimmick to entertain people instead of letting the music do the entertaining. I realize that this is a somewhat controversial comment. First of all, to be fair, I have never seen Rod live so I am basing my opinion on just what I've read, seen, and heard from others.

But, here's a bit of a clarification on the point I was trying to make. Even though I am not a huge fan of Rod or his music, I certainly recognize that he is an immensely successful artist with an impressive catalog of hits. As I said in the other thread, the only songs of his that I really like are:

Maggie May (love it)
    Tonight's the Night
    You Wear it Well
    Forever Young

However, just because I'm not fond of his music doesn't mean it isn't good, and that's is exactly the point I was trying to make. Any artist who has so many hits should let the primary focus of their show be the music. I'm not saying that he should not try to entertain his audience, but the "over the top" stuff is a distraction to me. JMHO

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Maggie May:

Righto! Yes "Memories"! NO "Ain't gonna talk about 'em" <LOL> !!!!!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Rod would be a good subject for Rambo's 'sold out' show. Most of his early work is superb. After 1979 it all started to go downhill; particularly when he started relying on songs by other people like Tom Waits & Van Morrison (I know that many people may not even know that Have I Told You Lately is by Mr Morrison; but I do).

A Top 10 for me would be all pre 1979:

1. Maggie May
    2. You Wear It Well
    3. Reason To Believe
    4. Mandolin Wind
    5. Sailing
    6. You're In My Heart
    7. The First Cut Is The Deepest
    8. I Don't Want To Talk About It
    9. The Killing Of Georgie
    10. Drift Away

Most of those are either from Every Picture Tells A Story or Atlanting Crossing. 'Georgie' is from A Night On The Town & You're In My Heart is from Foot Loose & Fancy Free.

As a football supporter it's his fanatical support of Scotland that I find most endearing about him.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Rod would be a good subject for Rambo's 'sold out' show. Most of his early work is superb. After 1979 it all started to go downhill; particularly when he started relying on songs by other people like Tom Waits & Van Morrison (I know that many people may not even know that Have I Told You Lately is by Mr Morrison; but I do).

A Top 10 for me would be all pre 1979:

1. Maggie May
    2. You Wear It Well
    3. Reason To Believe
    4. Mandolin Wind
    5. Sailing
    6. You're In My Heart
    7. The First Cut Is The Deepest
    8. I Don't Want To Talk About It
    9. The Killing Of Georgie
    10. Drift Away

Most of those are either from Every Picture Tells A Story or Atlanting Crossing. 'Georgie' is from A Night On The Town & You're In My Heart is from Foot Loose & Fancy Free.

As a football supporter it's his fanatical support of Scotland that I find most endearing about him.
    What makes you think that? It's one of Van's most well known songs!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Stuck on the Border

It's well known to Van fans. It isn't necessarily well known to a lot of Rod Stewart fans that Van wrote it.

I have to admit that I didn't know that. Truth be told I'm not really familiar with Van Morrison's work, except for "Brown Eyed Girl."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I like some of his stuff although I'm not a huge fan...

I really like his music in the Faces. Especially their cover of "Maybe I'm Amazed". Stay With Me was one of the tracks I used to play when I was in a Classic Rock cover band. We had to drop it a full key because it was WAY TOO HIGH for me to even attempt to sing. So for those musically inclined, instead of A-B-D it became G-A-C. Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule covers that song in G-A-C too. It's a much more easier way. I hate to change keys from originals in songs but on that one we had to or just not do it.

I also like "Maggie May", "You Wear It Well", and "Hot Legs". I also used to play Maggie May in solo acoustic shows I would do or if I'd do an acoustic show with my friend Steve.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I actually did know that about Have I Told You Lately, and not because of Van Morrison but because I'm a Rod fan. I also know that Van has written a lot of great songs that others have done (he's mentioned a LOT in Sammy Hagar's Red book). Anyways......

My favorite Rod songs are, in no particular order....

You Wear It Well
    Cut Across Shorty
    First Cut Is The Deepest
    Maggie May
    Young Turks
    Forever Young
    Have I Told You Lately
    People Get Ready
    The Killing Of Georgie
    Downtown Train
    Tonight's The Night
    You're In My Heart
    Some Guys Have All The Luck
    Tonight I'm Yours

and I'm sure I'm missing about a dozen but these are off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    After 1979 it all started to go downhill; particularly when he started relying on songs by other people
    I respectfully disagree! He had some great stuff after 1979, including some pretty big hits... Passion, Tonight I'm Yours, Young Turks, Baby Jane, Some Guys Have All The Luck, Every Beat Of My Heart, What Am I Gonna Do, to name a few. In my opinion, even his stuff he's put out by other people on his Great American Songbook cds is really good.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I copied this over from the other thread.

I like him. Just not to the extent of some bands. My favorite songs of his would be:

Maggie Mae (hearing it always takes me back in time-great memories)
    Reason To Believe
    Tonight's The Night
    Do Ya Think I'm Sexy (it's just too funny not to like!)
    You Wear It Well

And I must add You're In My Heart. Forgot about that one! Thanks for the reminder Willie.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten