View Poll Results: Do you enjoy going to rock concerts that have special effects and pyrotechnics?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it enhances the concert experience.

3 15.00%
  • Yes, but sometimes it distracts from the music.

9 45.00%
  • No, I just go to hear good music. I don't want all that other stuff.

8 40.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you enjoy going to rock concerts with special effects and pyrotechnics?

Default Re: Poll: Do you enjoy going to rock concerts with special effects and pyrotechnics?

Hmmm, maybe I should have had a fourth choice...but too late now!

This was the first poll I've ever started and I'm really enjoying the discussion.

Mick Jagger's strut has never done anything for me, but then I've never been a Stones fan. I'm sure Mick never in his wildest dreams thought he'd still be strutting around onstage at 67, and I'll bet the Eagles never thought they'd still be touring into their 60's. But I feel the Eagles can still perform now just as they always have and look like the valid creative statesmen they have become, while Mick just starts looking....well, old.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Default Re: Poll: Do you enjoy going to rock concerts with special effects and pyrotechnics?

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Mick Jagger's strut has never done anything for me, but then I've never been a Stones fan. I'm sure Mick never in his wildest dreams thought he'd still be strutting around onstage at 67, and I'll bet the Eagles never thought they'd still be touring into their 60's. But I feel the Eagles can still perform now just as they always have and look like the valid creative statesmen they have become, while Mick just starts looking....well, old.
    I agree with you entirely Cathy......and would love to add to the Mick thing - but might well be ostracised for doing so..

ETA Interesting Poll BTW!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Mike did you not read where I said:
    Hey man, you gotta let me yank your chain a little bit.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl View Post
    I agree with you entirely Cathy......and would love to add to the Mick thing - but might well be ostracised for doing so..

ETA Interesting Poll BTW!
    No you won't... I love Sir Mick with a passion but understand why people now feel he is 'overdoing it' or is 'past it' at his age. I've seen him twice; on a solo tour and with the Stones. But I was there to see him sing those wonderful songs; the 'strut' was a bonus.

As far as the Eagles go my major objection to their shows is the rigidity and the unchanging format. I have now seen, however, them drop a couple of songs because of what they seemed to think was an unresponsive audience; I never ever thought that would happen. Never.

I'll be seeing Bob Dylan next month; you go to see him because he's BOB and because you wonder will he play guitar or keyboards (last time it was mainly keyboards) and which of his classics will you struggle to decipher. I'll be seeing Randy Newman in August; just him, his piano and an orchestra; while tonight I'm seeing Tim Minchin who will also have piano & orchestra, although he is quite flamboyant as a performer.

TG mentioned Van Morrison; I only saw him once and a lot of people walked out, because he stood there & sang & never spoke. Either you know what he's like, in which case you're prepared for that to happen, or you don't, so you'll be disappointed.

[quote"As far as the Eagles go my major objection to their shows is the rigidity and the unchanging format.[/quote]

There are a lot of peeps who feel that way about them. But Them is what Them is and they are about perfect replication of their recordings when doing them live and that doesn't leave any room for improvisation. No shame in that. Nor is there any shame in recognizing it for what it is.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    [quote"As far as the Eagles go my major objection to their shows is the rigidity and the unchanging format.
    There are a lot of peeps who feel that way about them. But Them is what Them is and they are about perfect replication of their recordings when doing them live and that doesn't leave any room for improvisation. No shame in that. Nor is there any shame in recognizing it for what it is.[/quote]

There may be no shame in it; but as a fan, I am only human and I think a bit of spontaneity would only help their shows. If they don't agree, OK, but I still feel it needs to be said.

Stuck on the Border

[quote"As far as the Eagles go my major objection to their shows is the rigidity and the unchanging format.
    There are a lot of peeps who feel that way about them. But Them is what Them is and they are about perfect replication of their recordings when doing them live and that doesn't leave any room for improvisation. No shame in that. Nor is there any shame in recognizing it for what it is.[/quote]

There's no shame in it; neither is there any shame in being a fan and wishing for some spontaneity. Contrary to what they seem to think, spontaneity would bring them closer to their fans.

Hey man, you gotta let me yank your chain a little bit.
    I didn't know you were joking!

If you can't tell - I'm very passionate about 70s rock and hard rock (AC/DC, Aerosmith, Guns n' Roses, Led Zeppelin, etc).

Just for anyone curious my top ten favorite bands are:

Eagles
    Rolling Stones
    AC/DC
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Led Zeppelin
    Aerosmith
    Guns n' Roses
    Fleetwood Mac
    Def Leppard
    Journey

That isn't a set in stone list once you get past the top 5. The Top 5 ARE my favorites. But the other 5 are just bands I REALLY love. I have more to list but I don't have the time to type them all out. But those are the tops!

Classic Rock is the stuff I love. I go from lighter rock to heavy rock. It depends on my mood. If I'm pissed off or I am really feeling evil I will put on something heavy, if I'm calm or sad I'll put on something lighter. But the fact of the matter is I have no favorites OUTSIDE of the Classic Rock genre. I'm a purist to the 110th percent. I like blues too, but it's gotta have some rock in it too. Same with country, it's gotta have rock in it too.

As far as Classic Rock bands I dislike... And I better get my flame suit on but they are: Pink Floyd, Rush, The Who, Grateful Dead, Santana, Jethro Tull, Queen, Sex Pistols, and The Police. So there are some classic rock bands I dislike but 95 percent or more I really love and never get tired of hearing. I don't get into the whole overplayed thing. I never get tired of hearing songs from that genre. I listen to Hotel California once daily because I love it so much. I just am a 70s rocker guy at heart. That's just what I love to listen to and play on guitar in a band. It's what I love!
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 03-23-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

There are a lot of peeps who feel that way about them. But Them is what Them is and they are about perfect replication of their recordings when doing them live and that doesn't leave any room for improvisation. No shame in that. Nor is there any shame in recognizing it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    There's no shame in it; neither is there any shame in being a fan and wishing for some spontaneity. Contrary to what they seem to think, spontaneity would bring them closer to their fans.
    I think it would also FP. That is my only complaint about the Eagles. I do wish that they would come out and surprise us every once in a while and do a different take on a song. Or just take off on something and do an improv letting each member rip off a solo....or at least make a bend in one note in One Freakin' Song what wasn't on the record! <LOL>

Heck, even their stage jokes are the same concert after concert. All I can say is that it is a darn good thing that they have generally released star quality recordings and that they can duplicate them on stage with the same perfection that most bands couldn't do outside the studio after multiple takes and overdubs!

No doubt, it is ONLY their musical talent that made them popular and keeps them popular...Okay, that last line is BS! There are at least a couple of women who think they are hot or something. Probably a few guys too. Not me though. I like them from a purely altruistic angle in appreciating the vibrations made by the stretchy things in their throats that air passes over. And somewhat in the mechanical devices that vibrate in sympathy with those living sinues bodily contained within certain members of that musical association. It's purely and solely an objective observation on my part.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Absolutely. I could not agree with you more. The 'hot' bit though; I have no idea what you mean by that....

The funny thing though is that they CLAIM they play different notes sometimes. If it happens it's in Joe's songs where they seem willing to stretch it ever so slightly. But not on songs sung by the other three.

The jokes part is a sore point with me; particularly because of who does most of the jokes. The funny thing was that when he did his Detroit line at the last show I saw he said 'that always gets a laugh' & looked directly at me. I always when I see them laugh at his jokes out of loyalty, perhaps. So he noticed....