Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374

Thread: Keith Urban

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Keith Urban

EF, sounds like an awesome trip for you! Have fun!

And I hope you win the m&g! I know you would just die!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Austin, you recently saw Keith and I'd love to see a review from you! I saw a pic on Fb, but not much else. If you've got some time.......I know he was awesome!

Sure!

This made the 2nd time seeing him. The first time was on the FUSE tour with Dustin Lynch and Little Big Town opening for him (FUSE was his last album before the current one). That show was fantastic and had a great time. Great show.

This show was on the Ripcord tour with Maren Morris and Brett Eldredge opening for him (Ripcord is his newest album). I liked these openers this time, but Little Big Town is hard to beat as an opening show. They are too big now to be openers.

Maren Morris is a good newer country artist and while I don't like all of her stuff, I love "80's Mercedes" and "My Church". Brett Eldredge on the other hand is a bit more established and I like most of his songs and he put on a good show.

Keith himself was fantastic. IIRC, he opened the show Long Hot Summer and was a great kickoff. He then went back and forth between new and old songs all night.

He played "Where The Blacktop Ends" which was one of his very first songs and I love that song so it was good to see it come back and was the highlight for me.

I was surprised how much new material from Ripcord he played. He played a bulk of those songs.... He played classic stuff too, but more from the new record than I was expecting. Not a bad thing, but wasn't expecting that. I'd even argue he did 50/50 old songs and new stuff. Again, it's okay but any more might be a problem.

He still kills it on guitar and has a very good selection of guitars he plays. He also has a great rhythm/utility/etc player with him, Danny Rader. It's funny that the lead singer is also the lead guitarist. Usually the lead singer is the rhythm guitarist if they play at all. The only other guy I know that does that is Charlie Starr of Blackberry Smoke. It's cool to see and is very interesting to me.

All in all it's a great show but be ready to hear a LOT of songs from Ripcord. Also because of the RnB bordering on disco sound of the new record, he has a new band member running a laptop with the synth/effects/etc on it. A bit different.

Great show, high energy vibe, and a lot of fun but you have to like his newest music because if you don't you will be put off by how much of it he plays, lol.

I haven't bought the last two albums of his, so I would have to get those before seeing him again then. He's just kind of taken a back seat for me, but I still love his earlier music. I've only seen his once, but it was fantastic and I agree, he is a wonderful guitar player. Yes, I would think he would have an awful lot to do with being lead singer and lead guitar player, but he certainly pulls it off! Glad you had a good time!

I would also love to see Little Big Town and also Blackberry Smoke! BS was in Columbia, Mo a year or so ago, which is just a hundred miles away, at a very small club and I should have gone! My brother did and he's a big fan.

Thanks for your comments!

Thanks for the review, WF. I'd love to see Keith Urban again.

How did Maren Morris sound? I kind of have mixed feelings about her. I really like My Church but am not too keen on the Mercedes song. I can't help but wonder if she's one of those singers who gets a major auto-tune up in the studio.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Great review WF88 and I loved finally seeing him as well this past summer.

Delilah, Maren opened up for Keith when I saw him too and I thought she was great. Sounds the same live as recorded and did two duets with Keith at the concert. I personally like both of her singles.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thanks for the review, WF. I'd love to see Keith Urban again.

How did Maren Morris sound? I kind of have mixed feelings about her. I really like My Church but am not too keen on the Mercedes song. I can't help but wonder if she's one of those singers who gets a major auto-tune up in the studio.
    I think most new country singers ARE auto-tuned to some degree. Especially new artists that came to light in the last 5 years or so. Kinda cookie cutter.

She sounded very good, but she's a spitfire....I don't necessarily mean that bad but she's a little rough around the edges in terms of performer personality. She reminds me of Janis Joplin, which is funny because she opens with Joplin's "Mercedes Benz" song. She's not at all like the smooth happy smooth voice new female country singers like Kelsea Ballerini or Maddie and Tae or anything like that. There's some gravel there. Me, I like that, but it's an acquired taste lol.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 11-18-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Nice that she did those duets with Keith. She seems to have potential for a lot of success and representing the future of country music. It's good to know she sounds like the real deal.