Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Songs that Make You Cry

Default Re: Songs that Make You Cry

I'm sure there are many...but the first one that popped into my mind was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"...

I love Somewhere Over The Rainbow, it does make me teary eyed....

I hear Ole' 55 now and cry......Sure miss Glenn's voice.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by WS82Classics View Post
    Getting personal for a moment, Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer," one of my favourites of his, reminds me of the sweetest young girl I knew for two days in the Summer of 2012. I was at an Adult Education facility for my GED tests when I met her. We started talking and hit it off immediately, and it seemed we could, at the very least, become fast friends.

Of course, circumstance and fate intervened, and members of her family picked her up right as I was about to initiate some sort of exchange of contact information in the hopes of staying in touch. I never saw or spoke to her again, and never again did I feel the same kind of hopefulness for my future that I did on those two days.

A couple of years after I met her, I discovered her Facebook profile and saw the lecherous men with whom she was associating, one of whom she was married to. It was all so sad and dismaying to see her in such an obviously sorry state of affairs. I would try to send her a friend request later in the year, but by this point she'd long ago forgotten about me.

I always felt that, when all the users, abusers, and Sunshine Patriots("Boys of Summer," if you will) were gone, I would still adore and care about her. To this day, when I think about her, I always have the fondest and warmest feelings. I know full well it is all for naught, though.

That one more than occasionally stirs me up. Also think of her when I hear "Rio" by Duran Duran, though that one brings happier memories to the forefront.

Other emotionally stirring songs, to varying degrees, are "Desperado," "I Wish You Peace," "My Man,"(reminds me of my late friend) and "The Sad Cafe" by the Eagles, "The Crystal Ship" and "Wishful Sinful" by the Doors, "Darling, Be Home Soon" by the Lovin' Spoonful, “Gimme Shelter” by the Rolling Stones, “All You Need is Love” by the Beatles, “Imagine” by John Lennon, “Time For Me to Fly” by REO Speedwagon(especially with Gary Richrath's passing last year), and "Your Wildest Dreams" by the Moody Blues(the last song ever played on my favourite radio station from youth).
    Speaking of old flames, I found out recently that my very first serious boyfriend died at age 37! So now everytime I hear "Money" by Pink Floyd I cry and think of him. That was one of his favorite songs. Funny story; he moved about 200 miles away while we were just starting to get serious. I had a speech/drama meet in his new town, and I ditched the award ceremony to be with him, of course Money was on the stereo. Oh such fond
    memories. I think I'm so sad about him dying so very young. He was a great
    person.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Fountain of Sorrow and Late for the Sky-Jackson Browne

Against the Wind and Like a Rock-Bob Seger
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado

Jackson Browne's "Song For Adam" is one that comes to mind.

Another one is "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins, especially when it was first released because my college boyfriend was graduating and moving back east.

And like so many, hearing Glenn's voice now will often bring me to tears.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Against the Wind and Like a Rock-Bob Seger
    ATW actually does make me tear up sometimes--Reminds me of both of my maternal grandparents, who have respectively been dead for 3 and 9 years, for some reason.

"We've Got Tonight" and "Turn the Page" sometimes affect me emotionally, as well.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child - Van Morrison

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Was walking through a J & J's Foods earlier today and heard "As I Lay Me Down" by Sophie B. Hawkins, which, for a multitude of reasons, has been known to reduce me to waterworks(not this time, though).

Update: That bagpipes rendition of "Amazing Grace" does a number on me, as well.
    Last edited by WS82Classics; 05-07-2016 at 09:30 AM.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

I was listening to "Peaceful Easy Feeling" when I heard about Glenn's passing. Ever after, I cannot stop myself from crying whenever I hear the song.
    But apart from that, the song awakens so many great memories inside me that I have to smile anyhow.
    "Your prison is walking through this world all alone ..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Music moves me immensely but I rarely cry. I got very teary over "This Is the Day" by The The a few years ago, but that had more to do with hearing a song I hadn't heard for ages and it brought back a time in my life. Suddenly I realized how much time had gone by and ....