Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Mayer

Default Re: John Mayer

EV and all the rest here:

I didn't mean he was a bad lyricist. I just can't understand the words when he sings. I have no trouble understanding him when he is talking. But if I had to state what one of his songs was about after "only" listening to it, I'd be in deep trouble.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to him. I'll go out of my way to watch or listen to him Play. I just wish my ear fit his vocals better. It's not a pitch thing. He obviously sings well.

I have that trouble when talking with clients from UK on the phone too. I can communicate with them but it takes me a bit to switch gears and really concentrate on listening. When we first start a conversation, it sounds like GREEK or something. It's not of course. It's just that my brain is slow to adjust to the enunciation. It's something like that with Mayer except that I don't adjust fast enough to be able to understand what he's saying when he's singing.

That was a LOT more information than was needed here <LOL>. My defense is Youth and Long Faithful Service!

MikeA

Mike, I knew that was what you meant...that you literally couldn't make out what he was saying when he was singing. The age-old complaint of every parent about their kids' music, right?!? I was just stating that if you were indeed able to understand his vocals--whether he could enunciate more clearly, or if you were reading the lyric booklet, or whatever--you would find that his lyrics are often very clever and well-thought-out; and that is one of the reasons I really like him. It was immediately noticeable to me on his very first album, especially on the songs that I mentioned. I was simply adding that compliment to your praise of his guitar work.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I've heard a few songs and I liked it.

In case you don't know Keith Urban and John Mayer played together for a CMT Crossroads episode this week. Should be interesting.

http://g2th.com/?p=77cbea

Oooh, two of my favorite singers...EF, please let me know if you hear of an air date for that show! Me thinks it should be a hot one to watch!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Ok, as soon as I have any news I will post it here. Is anyone able to tape the show? I can't watch the CMT programme.

My DVD-R seems to not want to record anymore. Piece of crap! Hopefully someone else can.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Too bad, Soda. But I think someone in the Keith forum will capture the show. Hopefully.

Keith and John's http://www.cmt.com/shows/ special airs on Friday, June 18 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on CMT.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks EF - unfortunately, I'm not going to be home to catch that. Maybe they'll rerun it later.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Good deal. Thanks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten