Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Who

Default The Who

Touring with stops scheduled in Australia. Has anyone heard them recently? Just wondering if they still "have it together?"

http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=home

DATE LOCATION COMMENTS TICKETS
    March 21 North Harbour Stadium Aukland, New Zealand
    March 24 Brisbane Entertainment Centre Brisbane, Australia
    March 26 Adelaide Entertainment Centre Adelaide, Australia
    March 29 Forumula 1 Grand Prix Melbourne, Australia
    March 31 Sydney Acer Arena Sydney, Australia
    April 4 Members Equity Stadium Perth, Australia

MikeA

Default Re: The Who

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Pete and Roger live, but I can tell you from watching them on Rock Honors, that they indeed still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Pete and Roger live, but I can tell you from watching them on Rock Honors, that they indeed still have it.
    Along with the Stones, Beatles, and sure, The Eagles, it is my opinion that "The Who" were one of the "defining" bands back in the 60's/70's. I know I wore out two sets of vinyls listening to "Tommy". I'd love to see them perform.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Along with the Stones, Beatles, and sure, The Eagles, it is my opinion that "The Who" were one of the "defining" bands back in the 60's/70's. I know I wore out two sets of vinyls listening to "Tommy". I'd love to see them perform.

Me too. I have their greatest hits collection and Their Latest album, but the biggest thrill will be for me to see them live. and God rest Keith and John

I just went to the "official" site for "The Who". Couldn't read the interview with Townsend unless I joined. Thinking it was a a matter of filling out a membership form and getting a password, I did fill it out. It demanding a lot of information...full address, phone number, name...all that stuff. But I did get "signed up" and happily went back, logged in and blistered a trail to the Townsend interview.

WOAH! Can't go there until you "upgrade". So I click on "upgrade". It takes you to another page in the "Store" where you have to pay a $50 package fee to get full membership, a tee-shirt and I think a CD! But until you pay for all of that, you don't get any of the inside stuff.

Just don't do it unless you intend to pay the $50 to join. You can still browse around the site. Had I known that the culmination of my efforts were to pay $50 for membership, I'd never have filled out all of that personal information.

I didn't have to give a credit card number though!

MikeA

I've tried that before. and yeah, they want 50 big ones just to join

Stuck on the Border

I have mixed feelings about the Who. While I think Pete Townshend is a great guitarist and songwriter he can be somewhat 'preachy'. I thought at the time of punk/New Wave his attempts to realign himself with the 'new kids in town' was extremely awkward. He should have been proud enough of his own legacy. We have the DVD of their Royal Albert Hall show where they have guests like Noel Gallagher during Won't Get Fooled Again. I won't be going to the Sydney show.

An improvised Top 10:

1. Won't Get Fooled Again
    2. Who Are You
    3. Pinball Wizard
    4. Baba O'Riley
    5. I Can See For Miles
    6. You Better, You Bet
    7. Magic Bus
    8. My Generation
    9. See Me Feel Me/Listening To You
    10. The Kids Are Alright

A plug for the movie version of Tommy. Excessive though it was, who can forget Ann-Margret covered in baked beans and chocolate, or the guest stars, EJ as the Pinball Wizard, Tina Turner's sexy Acid Queen, Clapton's Eyesight To The Blind.

FP, I'm not sure what you mean about Pete being preachy.

Stuck on the Border

I find him somewhat sanctimonious, that's all. He appears to sometimes think he has all the answers. There are other rock stars who have a similar approach. This is only my opinion.

That's cool. One thing I've noticed is that he seems to be annoyed with being asked the same thing over and over, which I don't blame him for.