Page 61 of 166 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Reading about The Revolution's (tribute) tour for Prince provides an interesting perspective from his band mates. This is what Wendy Melvoin says about how they have felt, why they're doing it ("It was a spur-of-the-moment thing to find a sense of healing.") and how they are going to handle it.

Who's going to be singing?
    Well, that's the thing. Everybody keeps saying, "Well, why are you doing it? Who's going to sing? Who's going to be Prince? Who's going to be the centerpiece?" All right, let's break this down: No one. No one's going to be Prince. No one will ever be Prince, and none of us in the band are going to try and be him. You can't. It's just not going to happen.
    Also, this...
    So what was your solution?
    All this is all fluid right now. But the plan today – and it's changeable – is we only perform songs that don't distance us as the band. So in other words, if we perform "Darling Nikki," none of us are going to sing it. We're going to have someone come out and do it. Wherever we go, there's going to be an artist who loved him deeply and they can come up and sing that song. But the other tracks that were specifically geared around a band – say, "Let's Go Crazy" or "Controversy," or songs that have more like group vocals – we're going to [sing them]. We're also going to do some of the songs that didn't call for a lot of his calisthenics or his screaming. There's no one who could do that. No one.
    I realize the situation is not the same as the Eagles and Glenn but I thought there were enough similarities that could help explain what surviving band members experience.

"The Revolution's Wendy Melvoin Talks Grieving for Prince, Spring Tour" Rolling Stone Mar. 6, 2017

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I know he's refered to as satan but I can't see Irving coercing the guys into doing something that they didn't want to do, especially after losing Glenn.

I'm sure he works for them rather than the other way round. I've always felt that the Eagles will end when Irving is no longer employed as the Eagles manager, although I wouldn't say he was irreplaceable.

I'm unmoved by the change of mind. I don't pay much attention to what they say, it's deeds that count. Many times, over several Decades, I've heard that Joe is coming to Europe to play some solo dates, I'm resigned to disappointment that it's increasingly unlikely.
    If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the presence of the manager is more essential to the band than that of the founding member. And don't come back with the 'but Henley' stuff. You know what I mean.

As others have said, you know how to twist the knife.

Never mind. This is how it is now, I suppose.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the presence of the manager is more essential to the band than that of the founding member. And don't come back with the 'but Henley' stuff. You know what I mean.

As others have said, you know how to twist the knife.

Never mind. This is how it is now, I suppose.
    For a minute I felt Funk 50 means that Irving's the one who still wants to keep the band alive, but then I remembered that in the previous sentence he said that he's pretty sure Irving works for the band and not the other way around. So what that leaves us is that Irving is more important than Glenn. I have tried to see these things from other people's point of view and respect their feelings, and therefore I have stayed away from the "can the Eagles perform without Glenn" debate. But suggesting that the band can survive the loss of Glenn but couldn't survive the loss of Irving is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Having said that Funk 50 did say "I've always felt", so at least it's not presented as a fact.

Banned

I don't know whether to address this or keep schtum

How did The Beatles get on after the death of manger Brian Epstien ?

Irving's paid to give the Eagles stuff to do. When they stop paying him, I presume it'll be because they're done.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I don't know whether to address this or keep schtum

How did The Beatles get on after the death of manger Brian Epstien ?

Irving's paid to give the Eagles stuff to do. When they stop paying him, I presume it'll be because they're done.
    Ok. This is not the impression I got from your previous post. This I have no problem with. (I will not apologize for my rude comment even though it seems I was mistaken, because caring about other people's feelings doesn't seem to be the thing at moment.)

Stuck on the Border

Toni, maybe it's time we all remembered to spare each other's feelings.

I think I see Funk50's point in that Azoff is probably the one driving the business at this point. Even with the HotE documentary, it seems to have been Azoff who told Don and Glenn that it was time to do it and then Glenn pushed it forward. Don has a different focus. I don't mean that Irving is telling Don what he must to but I'm sure he's putting together persuasive "suggestions". After more than forty years, they know how each works.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Toni, maybe it's time we all remembered to spare each other's feelings.

I think I see Funk50's point in that Azoff is probably the one driving the business at this point. Even with the HotE documentary, it seems to have been Azoff who told Don and Glenn that it was time to do it and then Glenn pushed it forward. Don has a different focus. I don't mean that Irving is telling Don what he must to but I'm sure he's putting together persuasive "suggestions". After more than forty years, they know how each works.
    You're right, of course.

IMO Funk 50's post I reacted to had poorly chosen words - especially in the light of the recent history here. You can easily read it the way I did.

I don't think it's right to put down everything someone says only because we don't like a lot of it. Meaning that now that Funk 50 explained better, I can see the point and I admit that I was mistaken. My "I will not apologize" comment was silly and a bit "tongue-in-cheek". It is my impression that Funk 50 is thick-skinned enough not to ("to not"?) be offended by something like that.

Stuck on the Border

Toni, nothing you said was wrong. It was me who overreacted because I find the vast majority of F50's posts seem designed to hurt Glenn Frey fans somehow, even though he himself has said that I take 'innocent' comments and turn them into a slur against Glenn. I'm afraid that for me he does it so often that in this case I suppose I read it the wrong way. The fundamental problem I have with all this is that Irving, no matter how good a manager he is, should have ceased being the manager in January 2016. Yet people are carrying on here as if nothing changed. That hurts me deeply. I'm over-sensitive & it's time I got out. I just wanted to explain that in this case I did overreact, it seems. So I'm sorry, F50. You can have that one.

Glenn Frey 1948 - 2016
    Eagles 1971 - 2016

I wonder how ticket sales are going and whether one venue is selling better than the other or if they are about equal.

It's hard to say, but almost everyone I've talked to who's going is getting the "cheaper" seats (under $900). I think those seats will sell well, if not sell out. I'm not sure if the really expensive ones will sell as well, but the good news for the bands is that even if only a quarter of those expensive tickets are bought, the bands will still make a huge amount of money.

At any rate, as of today, a visit to Ticketmaster shows there are plenty of seats available at both.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten