Page 151 of 166 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Even as a Glenn fan I don't mind this Grand Ole Opry thing too much, because I have zero interest in what they do. But it does bother me when I see pictures of the Eagle guys with Deacon/Gill in the media and it says "Eagles will perform...". Makes it look like Vince Gill is in the Eagles. I'd prefer "Eagles with...." or something. No "hate" involved.
    Last edited by chaim; 10-09-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    Because when Glenn was in the band, they were busy making albums, writing songs, touring the world, nurturing their solo careers, raising young families, working in the studio, etc. In the midst of your "hate," you may not have realized that, outside of the solo gigs, they're not really doing any of those things anymore. Maybe, God forbid, they see the twilight of their careers as a chance to explore uncharted territory. It is unfortunate and tragic that Glenn cannot participate, but the band covered plenty of territory when he was there -- far more than they could ever hope to cover without him. In the eyes of many (I assume) formerly loyal fans, the band can now do no right. Either they're not doing enough to honor Glenn, or they're doing too much. Thank goodness for Don Henley, who isn't influenced by the "hate" of a vocal minority.

They are certainly not doing 'too much' to honour him. On the contrary. They are doing nothing.

It isn't 'hate'. It's disillusion. 'Hate' is a word used by people who cannot tolerate those who feel differently from themselves.

The 'vocal minority' thing once again comes back to some on this thread who believe those of us who disagree with this should not be allowed to express an opinion. I and others have said all along that if you agree with these actions, go ahead, but please understand the 'vocal minority'(if, by the way, it IS a minority.... many poeple on this board who object to all this have basically given up posting) have as much right to express our views on it as you. I backed away again. Faced with such hostility I will have to continue to do so. I do not have to just accept this situation unquestioningly. I don't agree that loyalty overrides all other considerations. There comes a time when 'loyalty' is no longer enough.

Banned

Completely ridiculous to say the Eagles are doing nothing to honor Glenn. Barely worth dignifying. HIS SON IS IN THE BAND!!!! Please, before these completely self-serving declarations, stop and think about whether they have any validity whatsoever. I know there is a lot of desperation to be in a self-righteous position regarding the continuation of the Eagles, but I wish we could at least deal in facts rather than emotion. Meanwhile, I will continue to stick up for the band, I just never thought I would have to do so on their fan site. Everyone here seems to want to have all past experiences ruined by a short period of time that is not at all reflective of their legacy. I will never understand.

Stuck on the Border

Completely ridiculous to say the Eagles are doing nothing to honor Glenn. Barely worth dignifying. HIS SON IS IN THE BAND!!!! Please, before these completely self-serving declarations, stop and think about whether they have any validity whatsoever. I know there is a lot of desperation to be in a self-righteous position regarding the continuation of the Eagles, but I wish we could at least deal in facts rather than emotion. Meanwhile, I will continue to stick up for the band, I just never thought I would have to do so on their fan site. Everyone here seems to want to have all past experiences ruined by a short period of time that is not at all reflective of their legacy. I will never understand.
    I don't know what 'facts' you are talking about.

These are the 'facts' I am dealing with.

Glenn Frey died in January 2016. At the time many statements were made that the band could not continue without him. This year, that changed. All the statements that were made were utterly hollow & meaningless.

I am not going to discuss Deacon Frey's involvement except that he is not his father, nor was he meant to be, and no matter how much people claim otherwise, he cannot replace his father. I will keep my opinions on the other 'replacement' to myself.

Emotion, whether you like it or not, is a major factor here. I'm afraid I can't just put my 'emotion' to one side & blindly continue to follow something which I no longer believe has any validity or meaning. My past enjoyment of them has not been 'ruined'; but for me they no longer exist. Call this 'self serving' if you wish. I have the right to feel this way just as you have the right to defend what you call 'the band'.

Because when Glenn was in the band, they were busy making albums, writing songs, touring the world, nurturing their solo careers, raising young families, working in the studio, etc. In the midst of your "hate," you may not have realized that, outside of the solo gigs, they're not really doing any of those things anymore. Maybe, God forbid, they see the twilight of their careers as a chance to explore uncharted territory. It is unfortunate and tragic that Glenn cannot participate, but the band covered plenty of territory when he was there -- far more than they could ever hope to cover without him. In the eyes of many (I assume) formerly loyal fans, the band can now do no right. Either they're not doing enough to honor Glenn, or they're doing too much. Thank goodness for Don Henley, who isn't influenced by the "hate" of a vocal minority.
    LOL.

When they made the decision they did, they opened themselves up to "hate". I have as much right to hate it (and have a strong point) as you do to revel in it.

I don't feel sorry for them. They made their bed and now they need to lie in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    They are certainly not doing 'too much' to honour him. On the contrary. They are doing nothing.

It isn't 'hate'. It's disillusion. 'Hate' is a word used by people who cannot tolerate those who feel differently from themselves.

The 'vocal minority' thing once again comes back to some on this thread who believe those of us who disagree with this should not be allowed to express an opinion. I and others have said all along that if you agree with these actions, go ahead, but please understand the 'vocal minority'(if, by the way, it IS a minority.... many poeple on this board who object to all this have basically given up posting) have as much right to express our views on it as you. I backed away again. Faced with such hostility I will have to continue to do so. I do not have to just accept this situation unquestioningly. I don't agree that loyalty overrides all other considerations. There comes a time when 'loyalty' is no longer enough.
    I agree. Hate is a strong word. I hate what they are doing, but I don't hate them as people. I may be disappointed, but I don't HATE them. People may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't know what 'facts' you are talking about.

These are the 'facts' I am dealing with.

Glenn Frey died in January 2016. At the time many statements were made that the band could not continue without him. This year, that changed. All the statements that were made were utterly hollow & meaningless.

I am not going to discuss Deacon Frey's involvement except that he is not his father, nor was he meant to be, and no matter how much people claim otherwise, he cannot replace his father. I will keep my opinions on the other 'replacement' to myself.

Emotion, whether you like it or not, is a major factor here. I'm afraid I can't just put my 'emotion' to one side & blindly continue to follow something which I no longer believe has any validity or meaning. My past enjoyment of them has not been 'ruined'; but for me they no longer exist. Call this 'self serving' if you wish. I have the right to feel this way just as you have the right to defend what you call 'the band'.
    I couldn't agree more FP....

One cannot overlook emotion, perspective, and basic human psychology.

One shouldn't put one's emotion to the side for the sake of others to be happy. One must always look after themselves first before helping or considering others. In other words, don't be a doormat/pushover. lol And don't give up your integrity just to be complacent for the sake of others happiness when it doesn't feel right.

Border Rebel

I do think they are honoring Glenn at the concerts, by having Deacon up there and talking about missing his Dad. At the Classic East, people seemed very touched by seeing Deacon and putting Glenn's picture up at the end of Peaceful, Easy Feeling. I heard comments around me about how talented Glenn was and how much he is missed.

All that being said, I hope they do something else to remember him. At least something like the Dan Fogelberg album, if not a dedicated concert. (Although I'd love to see a concert, as well.)

Banned

Which is another odd position to take. They're not honoring him by having other people sing his songs, what they should do is....have other people sing his songs. I wish folks could just admit that they're much happier complaining.

Which is another odd position to take. They're not honoring him by having other people sing his songs, what they should do is....have other people sing his songs. I wish folks could just admit that they're much happier complaining.
    Even though I generally agree with you Kansas I'd suggest not continuing this discussion. I had a very long one that at times become contentious. It's just such a divisive issue on here. Freypower was very emotionally attached to Glenn. It's basically impossible to change anyone's mind on the issue