Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Default Re: 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Apparently there was no time to read the thank you note Ray Thomas wrote before he died, or even to say a few words for him, because the Bon Jovi speeches were so long.

So thanks, Jon Bon Jovi, for the detailed lecture about the history of your band. Your life story was, as you clearly were aware, what the evening was essentially about. Very much appreciated. S***w The Moody Blues.
    Jeez, I did not know this! I wondered what was up and felt really sad that Ray did not live to see himself and the band inducted into the HOF, though I am glad he was aware of the honor. Ray was such a lovely, dear man, so blessed. He is forever loved and deeply missed.

------------------

In honor of Ray ... from an earlier post of mine

"Thank you for the link FP. I have seen Ray with the Moody Blues a couple of times as well and WILL NEVER FORGET him or his tremendous talent and contribution to the Moody Blues. Ray was a very very special man and while I am heartbroken he has left us I do believe he is at peace.

Here is a short video made in 2013 of Ray singing a bit of Celtic Sonant in a lovely Welsh church with a sweet kitty on his lap. Supposedly this is the same church where he and his wife Lee were married.

"Away we sail, with all our flags flying"

Carry on Ray, the journey continues."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hiEYIPk0pY8

Edited to add:

The Church of the Holy Cross at Mwnt, Ceredigion, Wales, is a parish church and Grade I listed building dating probably from the 13th century.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

It was mentioned in Denny Lane's Facebook page that they were going to say something about Ray, but the mics were alreay off. John Lodge did go back to the mike after Justin's speech. Was he going to read Ray's letter? It was said beforehand that he was going to read it.

To be fair, I don't know for sure whether Jon Bon Jovi was given such a long time to speak or if he just took it.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-19-2018 at 05:50 AM.

I had not heard about the Bon Jovi speeches being too long. The only clips I’ve watched on YT were about The Cars. That’s truly unfortunate the letter didn’t get read. Supposedly Howard Stern asked to go first, so I guess there was somewhere he needed to be (?). Otherwise Bon Jovi’s induction would probably have been last, so Stern may be partly to blame.

Here are some recaps from Rolling Stone. It’s not clear to me if the inductees always choose their inductors or if the HoF people also do it. So I’m not sure if the HoF is entirely responsible for what happened with Dire Straits.

https://www.rollingstone.com/topic/r...l-hall-of-fame

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

The inductors are chosen by the HoF. Whether or not they have some sort of connection to the inductee is a bonus. Ann Wilson said she was a fan of the Moody Blues from childhood. We knew what the connection was with Glenn/Linda Ronstadt & Don/Randy Newman.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/usa-...87178694490124

In any case it's obvious that Knopfler was so uninterested in the HoF that even if he had a choice about the inductor, he obviously didn't suugest one. It should then have been up to the HoF to step in (which I repeat, I believe they do anyway).

And Toni, I am sorry that Ray also didn't get the recognition he deserved. It sounds as if it was going to be the Bon Jovi show no matter who else was involved.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-18-2018 at 08:12 PM.

So basically Bon Jovi bogarted the show or did the show producers mismanage the time slots? I remember during the Moody Blues acceptance speeches John Lodge appeared to be telling the drummer Graeme Edge that someone off stage was telling them he had more time and to keep talking. Didn't think much of it then but now I am wondering how the whole show was being managed. Mark and Ray deserved better than they got!
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-19-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    So basically Bon Jov bogarted the show or did the show producers mismanage the time slots? I remember during the Moody Blues acceptance speeches John Lodge appeared to be telling the drummer Graeme Edge that someone off stage was telling them he had more time and to keep talking. Didn't think much of it then but now I am wondering how the whole show was being managed. Mark and Ray deserved better than they got!
    Yeah, that's a mystery. Why did they tell Graeme to continue and then there wasn't time enough to say a few words on behalf of Ray? It also looked like John kept Mike from going to the mic twice. But Mike's son said afterwards that his dad was treated great. ("Unfortunately pictures don't tell the true story") Mike's wife posted a nice picture of Mike and John. And according to Denny Laine's Facebook page all the "Moody guys" were great to each other. Maybe there was indeed some mismanagement going on and maybe the communication between HOW and the bands failed. And maybe Jon Bon Jovi was told to give a marathon speech (about 18 minutes).

EDIT:

Here you can read what Ray wrote. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/trav...12229-s25.html
    Last edited by chaim; 04-19-2018 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Yeah, that's a mystery. Why did they tell Graeme to continue and then there wasn't time enough to say a few words on behalf of Ray? It also looked like John kept Mike from going to the mic twice. But Mike's son said afterwards that his dad was treated great. ("Unfortunately pictures don't tell the true story") Mike's wife posted a nice picture of Mike and John. And according to Denny Laine's Facebook page all the "Moody guys" were great to each other. Maybe there was indeed some mismanagement going on and maybe the communication between HOW and the bands failed. And maybe Jon Bon Jovi was told to give a marathon speech (about 18 minutes).

EDIT:

Here you can read what Ray wrote. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/trav...12229-s25.html
    Thank you Chaim - Ray wrote a beautiful acceptance speech - so glad his thoughts and feelings are being shared, thank you for finding them and posting.

Dawn

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    Why Ann Wilson to induct the Moody Blues?
    Usually (at least in the past), they would choose an artist who was influenced by the person or band being inducted. Sometimes it makes sense - Steven Tyler & Joe Perry inducting Led Zeppelin - other times, it's a bit of a head-scratcher. The guy from Matchbox Twenty inducting Chicago? OK, whatever.

Ann Wilson plays the flute and is very romantic; maybe she was influenced by The Moodies.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Usually (at least in the past), they would choose an artist who was influenced by the person or band being inducted. Sometimes it makes sense - Steven Tyler & Joe Perry inducting Led Zeppelin - other times, it's a bit of a head-scratcher. The guy from Matchbox Twenty inducting Chicago? OK, whatever.

Ann Wilson plays the flute and is very romantic; maybe she was influenced by The Moodies.
    Hi NMB!

IIRC Ann said in her induction speech she was inspired to learn and play the flute by Ray Thomas and she discussed the influence the band has had on her from the early days to the present.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, lady Dawn! Some classless toad on the YouTubes said Ann Wilson's induction speech was "bizarre" and all about her, whereas it should have been about the Moody's history and accomplishments.

RS has transcribed Ann's speech - it's lovely! I'm actually getting a bit misty eyed. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...uction-w518962