1 3.45%
  • Bassist

1 3.45%
  • Drummer

0 0%
  • None (all are replaceable)

3 10.34%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who is the least replaceable member of a band?

Default Re: Who is the least replaceable member of a band?

I'm sorry Brian May and Jimmy Page overrated? I don't think so

Also they are not replaceable imho

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I'm sorry Brian May and Jimmy Page overrated? I don't think so

Also they are not replaceable imho
    I believe they are. Compare them to the likes of Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Glenn Tipton, Tony Iommi, SRV, Ritchie Blackmore and BB King. All guitarists who could pick up a guitar and blow your mind, and guitarists who if you took out of their respective bands you wold notice big time. That's what separates them from the likes of EVH, Young, May and Page - all equally fine guitarists, but lacking that edge that makes you go 'Wow' - that trademark, the unique style. Essentially all they do is merrily play along with the other musicians within their band and break ouit the odd decent solo and that's it. Howe, Hackett and King can take you on an incredible journey with their music, through mind and soul almost, Young and May cannot.

(Incidentally, for anyone who's seen LZ's gig at the O2 a few years ago, does anyone else think Page was a bit off the ball that evening? He looked a bit sloppy in places to me...)

I totally disagree with you. All I can say is Wow

I would disagree on the overrated thing. That said, I'll agree that Felder is more of a technician and Joe is much more improv.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I believe they are. Compare them to the likes of Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Glenn Tipton, Tony Iommi, SRV, Ritchie Blackmore and BB King. All guitarists who could pick up a guitar and blow your mind, and guitarists who if you took out of their respective bands you wold notice big time. That's what separates them from the likes of EVH, Young, May and Page - all equally fine guitarists, but lacking that edge that makes you go 'Wow' - that trademark, the unique style. Essentially all they do is merrily play along with the other musicians within their band and break ouit the odd decent solo and that's it. Howe, Hackett and King can take you on an incredible journey with their music, through mind and soul almost, Young and May cannot.

(Incidentally, for anyone who's seen LZ's gig at the O2 a few years ago, does anyone else think Page was a bit off the ball that evening? He looked a bit sloppy in places to me...)
    I don't know how anybody can argue that Jimmy Page is overrated. You say he lacks the edge that makes you go 'wow'. I completely disagree. As for just playing along; that is extremely unfair. He wrote those songs, produced them & played some of the most memorable solos & riffs of all time. You are obviously not a fan of Page so I really don't want to bring the 2007 show into it & get more off topic. I think this is the first time I have seen Page dismissed so lightly. I think you are also unfair to Brian May, but I appreciate your mention of Knopfler.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post

I was surprised to see Brian May there. He's lacking a unique style? He is probably the only guy on the planet whose guitar style/sound I could actually recognize anywhere. In the "blues-inspired rock soloists" genre he's not up there with the best, but there's so much more to his playing than that, and in my opinion he certainly has a style one can recognize. In fact I think you can hear a lot of his personality in his playing - he's very sensitive and so is his playing.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Continuing the discussion from the Led Zeppelin page:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...=1660&page=103

This just reminded me of how many country artists go by the lead singer's name. To name a few:

Keith Urban
    Tim McGraw
    Toby Keith
    Taylor Swift
    Carrie Underwood
    George Strait
    Alan Jackson
    Jason Aldean
    Blake Shelton
    Miranda Lambert
    Kenny Chesney
    Luke Bryan

and the list goes on and on and on. Obviously the lead singer is the most important person in these bands. We know pretty much nothing about the bands themselves! Maybe you do if you're a big fan. And evidently, the musicians don't care because they keep playing with them. I assume, but see, we don't really know about them. I wouldn't know if the band members changed. Maybe because I'm a casual fan and just like the music and it always sounds the same.

There are also pop artists that go by the lead singer's name:

Adele
    Rhianna
    JayZ

etc!

Of course, these are current artists, not classic rock artists in which, for some reason, the lead singers and the guitarists both became very well known. That doesn't seem to happen these days. The focus is on the singers.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

But surely all those artists you name are solo artists & their bands are backing bands, just as James Brown or Linda Ronstadt were/are solo artists?

I have to say I consider them solo artists with backing musicians and not a band. Now there are artists who tag the term "Band" on the end, like Eli Young Band or the Don Felder Band, but it's not a band in the purest sense, it's a solo artist with a backing band.

There is difference between a band and a solo artist with backing musicians....

Usually bands that aren't made of session or backing musicians have a unique name that doesn't feature a member's name. The exception is J Geils Band, where Jay Geils (guitarist) was never the frontman and isn't even in the band anymore, yet it's still called the J Geils Band. It's just that they named the band after him.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yes, I understand they are solo artists, but they can't do it without the backing band. So, the artists are known for their voices alone then?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten