Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Top 100 Albums

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Your Top 100 Albums

There's a site that lets you create a visual list of your favorite albums, either your top 50 or top 100. You can also make a collage of the albums. I thought that it might be fun to see what everyone else likes. Here's a link to the site:
    http://top100.topsters.net/#

And here's my list.(I'm sure that I left out some that should be on here lol)

ETA: I just realized that I have 2 duplicates by mistake. The firsr Cream- Wheels of Fire is supposed to be Eagles- The Long Run. The first CCR - Willy and the Poor Boys is supposed to be Bayou Country.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 12-19-2015 at 03:14 AM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Your Top 100 Albums

Wow, thanks for posting that - I think I'll have some fun with it!

Quite some time ago I posted a list of my top 25 albums (I think it's in the 'Share The Music You Love' thread) which I found by calculating an average rating depending on my opinion on the songs on the album, giving each song a rating out of 10. To obtain this list I found my average rating for over 50 of the albums in my collection at the time, and I've done a collage based on this list. I only included studio albums, no live albums apart from Rust Never Sleeps which is all new material anyway.

Top 50 albums (mid-2015) v2.jpg

There's a few chances I'd make to this list now though for sure, just a couple I'll add to start with:
    - Machine Head by Deep Purple is a certainty for my top 20, and probably my top ten.
    - Of the other albums I'd not really listened to at the time, On The Beach (Neil Young), Moving Pictures (Rush), Selling England By The Pound (Genesis) and Deep Purple In Rock all make decent cases for inclusion in my top 30.
    - Physical Graffiti is now my second favourite Led Zeppelin album and I'd definitely put it above LZ I now.
    - Wishbone Ash's Pilgrimage is a good album, but wouldn't make my top 30 now and I certainly don't think it is on the same level as The Wall, which is in a lower position than it should be as it has so many short songs.

One thing that has not changed is my top six, which I feel fairly sure about, as all of these are established as firm favourites of mine. The other positions are probably interchangeable to a reasonable extent beyond my order of preference for the albums by a particular artist or band.

Stuck on the Border

Wow. Am I going to have some fun with this.

AG, I would like to know how you got the album names to appear in your collage.

I tried to start it but then I lost it. I don't think I have the patience to do this.

ETA: No; too much work. If there was an easier way to do it, I would. Shame. I don't have the time.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-18-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Wow. Am I going to have some fun with this.

AG, I would like to know how you got the album names to appear in your collage.

I tried to start it but then I lost it. I don't think I have the patience to do this.

ETA: No; too much work. If there was an easier way to do it, I would. Shame. I don't have the time.
    At the top of the page, you should see "click here to configure the layout of your college". Under the caption option, select the "on the right" option.

If the hundred option is too time consuming(took me 3 hours), you can do the collage, which has options from 4x4 (16 albums) up to 12x12 (144 albums). The collage option is at the top of the page.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I've had another go with this, this time I've created a Top 60 albums collage. This is a subjective list so there's a few cases where the order could be changed slightly. I would say in summary my top 25 or so are my big favourites.

To make this list I rated a total of 76 albums - there are about half a dozen other albums in my collection that I have not included simply because I'm too new to them to rate them with any certainty, I don't think it's fair to put in album in this chart after only one listen. I've also ignored any albums that I no longer have in my music library, my thinking is that if I no longer like them sufficiently to want to keep them then they don't belong on my favourite albums list.

I also did a Top 50 albums list ignoring more recent additions to the collection - this had little impact on the top 20, but it did show how the relative positions of my older albums have changed. The Long Run, which has grown on me hugely to the point where it is now my fourth favourite Eagles album, is probably the album that has had the most positive reassessment, whereas Pilgrimage by Wishbone Ash has dropped about 15 places in real terms - I like it, but I'm surprised to see that it came out above albums like Led Zeppelin III or Second Helping at that time.

(I apologise that this image isn't bigger - I've tried to figure out how to make it larger like AG95's list where I can clearly see all the top 100 albums, but I don't know how to do this)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stuck on the Border

I have been trying to do this all day. I get so far & then I lose it all. I'm at the end of my tether with it. There should have been an option to save what you were trying to do.

FP, one thing I did notice is that if you register as a member (I haven't registered myself) you can save your lists, hope that helps.

I've decided to do a slightly different list, this time focussing on my favourite albums from the 1970s. I have 45 albums from 1970-79 in total, which I'm sure isn't as many as others will have although it is by far the best represented decade in my album collection. I've created a list of my favourite albums from each year in the 1970s from 1970 through to 1979 in order of preference:

A few comments (feel free to comment on any of my lists by all accounts!)
    - Before I did this exercise, I'd have probably said that my two favourite years were 1973 and 1975. This seems to be borne out - I have seven albums from each year, including six of my overall top 20 albums across all decades.
    - Bob Dylan's Blood On The Tracks, a huge favourite album, is very unfortunate to have been released in 1975, the same year as my number one pick, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Using my ranking system, it would have topped the list in six of the other nine years.
    - Neil Young is top of my list in three years (1970, 1974 and 1979). Pink Floyd are the only other artist to come out on top more than once (for 1973 and 1975).
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 02-12-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Edit: Just joined photobucket, so decided to repost this list

I didn't have time for top 100, so I did top 50.

Thanks AG.

I think this demonstrates quite clearly that I am a rock n' roll guy. Everything from Bob Dylan to Motley Crue. If it has attitude, I like it!

I might do another for some of the modern country (rehashed old rock n' roll) but I wish they offered top 25.

ETA: Just deleted the link, I'm going to do 100 and start over. I'll post when it's done.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 12-21-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Here is mine. It's a jpg file & I am now going to delete the png file.

I was as accurate as I could be. Certain bands & artists feature prominently. The Eagles are no longer so prominent.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-08-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Revised list.