Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: America

Default Re: America

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Do you have a 12-string guitar? I want to get one really bad, but I'm guilt-tripping myself over spending that kind of money.
    Girlfriend, get that guitar. Practice the really cool songs you love, and then I want to see you play!!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you, LuvTim, for enabling my self-indulgence I didn't mention that I already have three guitars - two electric, one acoustic.

I love how a 12-string sounds though - so rich and chimey.

Thank you, LuvTim, for enabling my self-indulgence I didn't mention that I already have three guitars - two electric, one acoustic.

I love how a 12-string sounds though - so rich and chimey.
    Well, you know best, but I love the idea of how happy you might be playing that 12-string. Makes me happy too.

Aww, what a sweet soul you are. Just like a certain long-haired bassist from Sacramento.

Aww, what a sweet soul you are. Just like a certain long-haired bassist from Sacramento.
    You flatter me with the comparison.

Of course we all know what a sweetie is our RM, too. Sigh...guess you're going to have to suffer the same sort of comparison!!

Oh, I could never be as sweet as dear Randy. He and Tim could form a duet and call it the Sugar Bros.

Back on topic before someone gets testy! Here is a nifty, recent article on America from Taylor Guitars magazine: https://www.taylorguitars.com/wood-and-steel

(and there is Eagles content too!)

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I have to admit I don't really know America very well apart from two songs - these being Ventura Highway and A Horse With No Name. I like both, although I think I like Horse better.

Although I can see why people consider them to be contemporaries, I personally think they have a lot more in common with CSN than with the Eagles - America have never had a full-time drummer, for instance, whereas the Eagles were always a complete band.

One thing that is quite interesting is that when A Horse With No Name came out a lot of people thought that it was by Neil Young, and there's still people today who think it's a Neil Young song. Listening to the lead vocal and the music - especially at that time when a back injury restricted Neil to playing acoustic guitar - I can totally see why. In fact, I believe it even managed to replace Neil's classic Heart Of Gold at the top of the Billboard chart in 1972.

Yes, Neil was very steamed about that.

Oh, I could never be as sweet as dear Randy. He and Tim could form a duet and call it the Sugar Bros.

Back on topic before someone gets testy! Here is a nifty, recent article on America from Taylor Guitars magazine: https://www.taylorguitars.com/wood-and-steel

(and there is Eagles content too!)
    That was fun to read.Thanks, NMB.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for the link. More than 40 years ago, I talked my mother into buying Hat Trick. I still love Horse With No Name and enjoy many of the other songs.

I've mentioned the Holodigm website before in relation to the Eagles but it has even more on America including a videoed lecture by Gerry Beckley. Scroll down a few names on the side:

http://www.holodigmmusic.com/index-save.php?pg=guests

John Hartmann also has a good story about having to find a drummer for America at very short notice.

http://theholodigm.blogspot.co.uk/20...on-august.html