Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Streaming - good or bad?

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Music Streaming - good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    A take on the new paid streaming service by Apple from Taylor Swift.

http://taylorswift.tumblr.com/post/1...le-love-taylor

Now let me just say, I think Taylor Swift is one of the more talented of her ilk (popstars) as she writes her own songs and isn't machined. But I'm NOT a fan, and I don't like the way she comes across or the fact she writes songs about everyone who wrongs her (in her mind, at least.)

Now onto the issue at hand (I just have to rant about her sometimes )

Ultimately I DO agree with Taylor. For those three months, Apple will be giving 0 royalties for the three month trial. At least Spotify pays something to them, and Spotify is free to use. FYI, Taylor pulled ALL of her music from Spotify last year I believe, and a couple of people followed suit (Jason Aldean, to name one).

I think paid streaming is a good move (as does Taylor, apparently). But I have to say, three months without even a penny is an awfully long time. Apple shouldn't get rid of a free trial, but at least pay the artists SOMETHING. If they can't afford it for three months, then maybe a 1 month trial. But give the artists something. Otherwise, you're worse than Spotify and absolutely a step in the wrong direction.

On an unrelated-but-related note, I was not pleased with what I saw from Apple Music (formerly Beats with Dr. Dre and his pal, Jimmy Iovine). To me it's poorly executed and I'm not a fan. I'll be sticking to Spotify.

If in the future a paid streaming (meaning more features for ME AND more money to ARTISTS) comes along that I like, I will definitely sign up. Right now if you buy Spotify Premium, that ISN'T paying artists more. It's just getting rid of ads on Spotify, so Spotify themselves have more money.

So really Apple Music is a one step forward, two steps back kind of launch and I don't think it'll go over big. Independent artists that are relatively unknown are being told Apple will remove their music from the iTunes store if they don't allow the free 3 months for their streaming service. Pretty crappy if you ask me. As of right now, Apple is denying such move, but it's all over Twitter.

I have to say, this is all coming from a normally otherwise Apple-biased individual. It's all I use (other than a HP Stream 11 for some networking tools). Macs, iPads, and an iPhone. That's what I use day in and out. But even I can admit what a poor choice Apple has made on how to handle their royalties.

A lot of my musician friends both known and unknown on social media have posted to support this open letter and Taylor's move. And I do as well.

3 months without paying artists? Musicians have to eat! .
    The problem is people expecting free music. These "services" are only offered because we, as whole, demand it. Everything needs to be... free internet (wifi), tv, etc.
    Trials, I understand. Spotify has a free trial for a month.

I want to address the part I bolded. I personally hate this myself, but unless you pay for premium, you don't get full use of the mobile app. Without premium, you can only shuffle play songs. You can't pick one certain song to play, which annoys the crap out of me. They do that to get $10 a month from you. If youtube didn't use up more data than Spotify, I'd quit the premium version, and use that $10 toward buying an album.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Update! News just in!

Eddy Cue (one of Apple's people with the streaming group) just said on Twitter that Apple will now pay during the 3 free months after reading Taylor Swift's letter.

A LOT of people reposted and supported her comments and Apple just about HAD to do something to avoid blowback. Still sad that they didn't do it out of the gate though.

-Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Good for Taylor. She's a very impressive young lady - 25 years old and she's telling one of the biggest corporations in the world, "Oh no, you don't get away with not paying me."

Stuck on the Border

This is an interesting development. Universal Music Group International have made several of Glenn's albums available on youtube (After Hours, the Masters Collection, The Allnighter). Search for #GlennFrey. I wonder what the revenue model is.

Banned

What a great publicity stunt!

Brownie points all round...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, since I'm so old, I don't really understand this streaming/downloading stuff. Does this mean the ipod will become obsolete?

I have finally updated myself to a smart phone and I know that if I go over my 3G plan there will be overage charges. I also have wifi that I use at work and at home. I know I can get music on my phone, but I haven't tried it yet. I have a lot of music, downloaded and ripped from cd's, on my ipod. Can I get that from the ipod to the phone?

I also have a smart tv and have signed up for netflix and amazon prime (free trial) and had to upgrade my internet plan to accomodate those. I have used Pandora on the tv too. Where does this fit in? It's streaming, right?

Sorry. I'm confused about all this!

ETA: I do agree with paying the artists.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Well, Brooke, different people do different things. I have nothing in iTunes, and I do not have an iPod. I have several MP3 players, which is the same concept, just different file formats. Generally a media player or I think even iTunes can convert back and forth. I have all Android devices regarding phones and tablets.

I have my entire music collection except some of the vinyl on an external hard drive (besides the CDs and vinyl). I have it backed up on a computer hard drive as well. Since my devices act as flash drives as well, it's easy for me to move music (and documents) onto my devices, and delete them when I want to make room for more. Music I really care about, I buy the CDs and copy them. MP3s I buy on Amazon. I have the Amazon app on my devices and so if I don't want to copy from my computer, I can download from my Amazon cloud, or even listen from the cloud and not download at all.

Phones and other devices also have streaming apps that allow you to listen to music you may not own, but you either have to pay for an account or suffer through advertisements. I've never used any of these since I'm a SiriusXM subscriber (including the internet edition), and I can stream radio stations or on-demand.

Did I confuse you even more? I have a YouTube app on my phone, but I don't think I've ever used it. You all know how I feel about watching music instead of listening to it...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Pandora is good and kind of was a big start in internet music.

The problem I have is you can't pick and choose the songs you want to hear, it picks them for you based on what you like. I like picking and choosing, so for me Spotify rocks in that regard.

I get music through many different ways. I'm all in with Apple here, so these are my choices.

Vinyl through Stereo
    CD through Stereo
    Tape through Stereo
    Spotify through Stereo (using a mini headphone jack to RCA cable)

Then I have my CD's in iTunes, where I can listen to them on my devices. I don't buy music from the iTunes Store, if I'm going to buy something I buy CD's. I prefer having physical media.

Then for just streaming on my devices, I have Spotify, YouTube, Rdio, Pandora, and iTunes Radio to pick from.

I recently bought an older Apple laptop computer for the sole purpose of it being hooked to my stereo 24/7 as a way to get internet stuff to my stereo. It's too slow to run Facebook and load modern websites, but the Spotify app is killer on it and never buffers, so there ya go.

Basically the way it goes is that if I like something I hear from a new record, I'll listen to it in it's entirety online and then if I like what I hear I buy the CD locally or on Amazon.

For me it's physical media or streaming, I don't do digital downloads/MP3s.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Yeah, Pandora was like the first "streaming" site. Basically, streaming music is when you have access to the music, but you don't pay for it (and can't download it unless you pay for the streaming site).

I,basically, do the same thing as Austin does (hope you don't mind me using your real name). I have a boombox in my bedroom where I can listen to my cd and cassette collection, and my record player is on top of my dresser. I use Spotify and youtube on the computer and my phone. I have Spotify connected to my last fm account (music listening site.) Last fm is s site where you can keep track of what you listen to on different sites (Spotify iTunes, even its own music player). I hope that I'm not confusing anyone, but if anyone wants to know more here is my last fm profile.

I'm of that opinion that I don't want to spend money on an album unless I know that I like it. (I do make exceptions to this rule at times). I honestly like having music with me 24/7. If I want to here a song, in less thsn a minute, I csn ne listening to it.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok! Thanks for all the info! I will be sorting it out!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten