Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies

Default Re: Movies

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    As I said a few days ago, in the "What are you doing now?" thread, Smokey and the Bandit is my favorite movie. Gettysburg is a very close second. (I'm a huge Civil War buff thanks to my dad)

I don't pay attention much to new movie releases because I never go see them in theaters, and by the time of the dvd/bluray release, I've usually forgotten about them. . I'm only anticipating the release of 2 movies. One is Inferno (Dan Brown's book. Author of the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. It's the next book in the series.) I love both the books and the movies. The other is the next Sherlock Holmes film. I love the first 2, especially with the smart aleck sense of humor. I've read a few of the canon short stories of Sherlock Holmes, and I thoroughly enjoyed them, but I kind of like Robert Downey Jr's version of Holmes more.

If anyone wants a newer (came out last year) movie to watch, I recommend another Downey Jr film, The Judge. It's a brilliant tale of an old small town hick-like judge (Robert Duvall) who has stage 4 lung cancer, but he doesn't tell anyone. His wife dies and his estranged son (Robert Downey Jr), who is a big city defense lawyer, comes to join the family to pay his final respects. During his stay, the judge accidentally hits an old enemy of his with car and kills him. However, due to the chemo treatment for the cancer, he doesn't remember anything. The judge hires a public lawyer to defend him, but he's a complete novice with no previous experience. Eventually, the judge agrees to let his son defend him, and what follows is a movie that had me on edge and at the end, wiping a tear from my eye. Oh, as a bonus Billy Bob Throton is the DA.
    The Judge was excellent. Robert Duvall is one of my favorites thanks to the epic Lonesome Dove.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    The Judge was excellent. Robert Duvall is one of my favorites thanks to the epic Lonesome Dove.
    Robert Duvall became a favorite of mine after watching Gods and Generals.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Robert Duvall became a favorite of mine after watching Gods and Generals.
    Another good one, but I was sure to watch that one at home after seeing Gettysburg at the theater. The only movie that I ever attended that had an intermission.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Another good one, but I was sure to watch that one at home after seeing Gettysburg at the theater. The only movie that I ever attended that had an intermission.
    My dad bought a double vhs copy of it, and we watched it together when I was 7. I didn't see Gettysburg until I was a teenager, but I quickly fell in love with it!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Agreed! I loved Lonesome Dove too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Agreed! I loved Lonesome Dove too!
    Not surprised, Brooke. Great taste in music has to mean... great taste.

Saw "Crimson Peak" on Saturday, a fantasy horror film starring Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain, and Mia Wasikowska. Enjoyed the turn-of-the-century period reenactment through the scenery, costumes, and dialogue. I didn't find the horror effects to be too scary or graphic, save for a couple of scenes of extreme violence. But, even they weren't enough to induce any loud gasps from the audience when they played out on screen.

With that said, the plot appeared, at times, to be downright predictable during the second half of the film. A couple of key elements reminded me of "Haunted," a 1995 British B-grade horror film starring Aidan Quinn and Kate Beckinsale. If you are aware of the dysfunctional familial relationships represented in that film, then you'll know the big secret of "Crimson Peak."
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

I agree about the Judge. Duvall and Downey were excellent. Last Sunday I watched all 3 parts of Lonesome Dove with Duvall. Good but sad....

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Has anyone seen "The Last Waltz" featuring The Band? Very interesting. I could not remember this band, but I feel I should have. The music was very good, and in the era I came from. I recognized some of it, but did not remember anything about the events at the time of this movie. There is a follow-up on Netflix about Levon Helms after the breakup of The Band, which is kind of sad.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by deb828 View Post
    Has anyone seen "The Last Waltz" featuring The Band? Very interesting. I could not remember this band, but I feel I should have. The music was very good, and in the era I came from. I recognized some of it, but did not remember anything about the events at the time of this movie. There is a follow-up on Netflix about Levon Helms after the breakup of The Band, which is kind of sad.
    I thought it was wonderful when I first saw it but some of the guest stars' performances haven't aged very well. The Band themselves were great. Levon Helm is dead now but the saddest story was of keyboardist Richard Manuel who hanged himself. Rick Danko is also dead.